Slow Runners Unite!

Options

Replies

• nhorton5
    nhorton5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how slow you go, just the fact you are doing it! I find the treadmill horrible. I hate that I can watch the time ticking by so slowly and my mileage going nowhere. When I run outside time flies by and I find myself being able to run longer most days. Try heading outside and see if that helps.

And be proud of what you have achieved!!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel like I could handle running again, but I will forever be in the slow runners club due to limited mobility in my left ankle after a (moderately bad) pilon fracture late in 2016. I can walk fast (about 3.5-3.8mph) just fine, and I think my ankle would be fine with a slow jog, I just have to train myself to "run" that way as historically, if I did run, it was a faster pace and longer strides which I can no longer do.

Sounds like you've come a long ways, be proud of your accomplishments! Shoot, I was "proud" of jumping onto a 6" box a few months ago!!
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I set a goal at the beginning of this year to do a 12-minute mile by the end of 2018. I thought this was a great goal and then I started coming on MFP and see that it is actually considered slow, LOL. Oh well-I've never been able to do a 12-minute mile and I am going to celebrate the heck out of it when it happens!

My most recent mile time was 16:50; I've been shaving 10-20 seconds off each time. I can only run for about 1 1/2 minutes at a time, and then I walk for a few minutes.

My first-ever 5K I did in 52:30 and I haven't yet been able to beat that time. I'd be overjoyed to do a 5K in under 45 minutes! I participate in a big 5K every October and I get passed by all kinds of people, but there are also always people slower than me, so I don't care. When somebody passes me, I use them to try to set a pace and keep up with them. Or sometimes I'll see somebody and think, I'm going to pass them back! Being slow is motivational, haha.

DH and I did a 5K a few months ago that had a very low turnout--everybody that participated were runners and there weren't enough people that we could blend in to the slow crowd. We finished at least 20 minutes after everybody else. They were all going home. We were like, whatever--take our free bananas and pat ourselves on the back for just finishing a 5K.
  • sienainthesun
    sienainthesun Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love this. I am a slow runner and always have been. At first I was was self conscious about it and worried that I would finish last. Then, in my first half marathon (a small and hilly half marathon sponsored by a local running store) I did finish last out of a field of about 250 people. I successfully moved my body through space for 13.1 miles and they gave me a medal for it. I never worried about being last again.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I was 21 miles per minute when I first tried to jog, though it was mostly walking. Took an hour to complete my first 5k. I remember when this lady fast walk the heck out of me running, I was like, how's that even possible? Challenge accepted! I walk/jog outdoors ever since then and never looked back.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I run slow, too. Just looked up my 13 minute pace today to see it described as “halfway between walking and jogging” and felt devastated. But as the day progressed I decided I don’t care. I’m not out to win races. I just want to be healthy.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Love this thread :) I'm running my first 5k tomorrow for thanksgiving and I'm all nervous that I'm going to look stupid running so slowly

How'd the race go? You did great! I've been running for a few years now and have never entered a race. It's absolutely terrific that you did this.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You. Are. A. Runner. Embrace it!

Consider this: There is always someone that can run faster or farther, regardless of your pace of distance. There is someone out there right now wishing they could run as well as you. You are not an embarrassment, you are an inspiration!

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Love this thread :) I'm running my first 5k tomorrow for thanksgiving and I'm all nervous that I'm going to look stupid running so slowly

How'd the race go? You did great! I've been running for a few years now and have never entered a race. It's absolutely terrific that you did this.

Ummm I did ok. I ran in 36 minutes. I had to take a couple walk breaks lol, it was more uphill than I’m used to. But it was fun, everyone was very encouraging. You should sign up for one :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great race. You ran in good time. I can't manage a 36 minute 5K; it takes me over 40 minutes to run that distance. Great race!
    I'm considering a race in the spring. However, I'm not sure if I'll follow-up. In the meantime, I keep running around the neighbourhood.
    I spent a month running up and down hills this year. It was a hard month but it made a big difference in my stamina and I'm still benefitting from it. I'm still slow but I'm a stronger runner.......and I can run up hills pretty good nowl
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    BootsDBA wrote: »
    Someone please tell me you also run SUPER slowly? I'm at 3.5mph/17 minutes a mile. I'm embarrassed to say it and it keeps me on the treadmill instead of outside because if there's no scenery to pass then I can't tell, lol.

I can go for 25 minutes now, 1.5 miles, which I'm also a little embarrassed about, but mostly proud, since I couldn't do that before. I know speed will come later, but right now I'm just looking for other slow runners so I know I'm not alone. :D

Hey you're lapping everyone that's sat on their sofa.
    You're doing great, do you have a park run in your locality? They are fab for everyone that runs (or run/walks or walks), very inclusive with some that finish the 5k in<20mins to those that take an hour.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hurray for slow runners! 🏃 I want to sign up for another 5k. My first personal 5k training run took 58 minutes. That was years ago.

With more training and weight loss I ran a downhill 5k at 38 minutes. My current goal is to run a flat one, and get an official recorded time. :) Haven't done much running this year. Looking forward to warmer weather and beginning a new training seasons. :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    There's barely any difference between my fastest walking pace and my running pace. Add me to the slow runner's club!

I love this! That's me too. My friend's can outwalk my "I've just run more than a kilometre" pace. 😆
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    Hurray for slow runners! 🏃 I want to sign up for another 5k. My first personal 5k training run took 58 minutes. That was years ago.

With more training and weight loss I ran a downhill 5k at 38 minutes. My current goal is to run a flat one, and get an official recorded time. :) Haven't done much running this year. Looking forward to warmer weather and beginning a new training seasons. :)

My journey is exactly like yours, I once hovered at 38 minutes for months. Improvement does come with weight loss. Keep at it.