"Americans Exercise More....Obesity Rates Still Climbing"

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't know what the comparison date was, but if we are going back significant years, I don't think Americans exercise more is true. We may go to the gym more or do things we call "working out" more, but we are likely far less active in our daily lives (on average) even so.

Re CI vs CO, it doesn't make sense to say one side is more important or 80% or whatever. The problem is that if you don't do something (it doesn't have to be counting calories) to control calories in, and if you live in an environment like ours where eating is super easy and cheap, then increasing exercise may just result in eating more. Especially since many think exercise burns more calories than it does and will see that as an excuse to eat more indulgently.

I've lost weight just by increasing exercise, but it happened when my eating was already under control, so I didn't start eating more without realizing it. And I was truly exercising quite a lot (tri training)--many of the studies showing exercise does not help do things like taking someone out of shape and having them walk on a treadmill for an hour, which is both boring (people feel like it was more work than it was, since they hated it, and think they deserve a reward, food) and doesn't burn many calories.

It looks like the report is comparing numbers from Jan-Sept 2017 back to 1997. Given that time frame, it actually doesn't surprise me that physical activity would be up. I'd be curious specifically how many more people work out at home given the rise of free or inexpensive (at least compared to gym membership) online services.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/EarlyRelease201803.pdf

ETA: The charts for "leisure-time physical activity" start on page 43 and show a distinct jump for people meeting the aerobic activity recommendation starting in 2009 with a general upward trend since then. The response for meeting aerobic plus strength recommendations is on page 46 and shows a general upward trend since 1997, although overall numbers are lower.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the comparison date was, but if we are going back significant years, I don't think Americans exercise more is true. We may go to the gym more or do things we call "working out" more, but we are likely far less active in our daily lives (on average) even so.

Re CI vs CO, it doesn't make sense to say one side is more important or 80% or whatever. The problem is that if you don't do something (it doesn't have to be counting calories) to control calories in, and if you live in an environment like ours where eating is super easy and cheap, then increasing exercise may just result in eating more. Especially since many think exercise burns more calories than it does and will see that as an excuse to eat more indulgently.

I've lost weight just by increasing exercise, but it happened when my eating was already under control, so I didn't start eating more without realizing it. And I was truly exercising quite a lot (tri training)--many of the studies showing exercise does not help do things like taking someone out of shape and having them walk on a treadmill for an hour, which is both boring (people feel like it was more work than it was, since they hated it, and think they deserve a reward, food) and doesn't burn many calories.

It looks like the report is comparing numbers from Jan-Sept 2017 back to 1997. Given that time frame, it actually doesn't surprise me that physical activity would be up. I'd be curious specifically how many more people work out at home given the rise of free or inexpensive (at least compared to gym membership) online services.

ETA: The charts for "leisure-time physical activity" start on page 43 and show a distinct jump for people meeting the aerobic activity recommendation starting in 2009 with a general upward trend since then. The response for meeting aerobic plus strength recommendations is on page 46 and shows a general upward trend since 1997, although overall numbers are lower.

Just have to take into consideration the CDC recommendation sets a pretty low bar. Without looking believe it's 30 minutes of walking 5 days a week and a couple strength training sessions.

Not enough to burn off a couple 20 oz pops a day
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Just have to take into consideration the CDC recommendation sets a pretty low bar. Without looking believe it's 30 minutes of walking 5 days a week and a couple strength training sessions.

Not enough to burn off a couple 20 oz pops a day

Sure, and I am in no way surprised at the lack of connection between meeting fitness guidelines and weight management. It's still good for other health-measures to meet a minimum exercise standard. I aimed for the CDC recommendation when I was first getting into exercising and even that low bar made a huge difference in how I felt. That said, the post I was responding to wasn't talking about the weight connection but was skeptical about whether Americans were actually exercising more.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    In 1998, the BMI changed. https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4890841/

Now, your BMI was 30 or higher, you were considered obese. My husband weighs 210 and is 5'9" and he's not obese. I'm 5'7" and 272 lbs. and I can be considered MORBIDLY obese. I have no CPAP machine, no oxygen, and I don't even snore. I have no back problems (fingers crossed) with my petsitting job I get plenty of exercise (I'll do more focused exercise at the gym) and having a pitbull lunging and having to carry him away (90 lbs. of dog).

The shopping cart has been a little healthier lately, but I have Cheetos, potato chips, and chocolate cake (for my husband's birthday!).

Getting more exercise to me, I have a healthy part in my life. Even if I didn't have very healthy habits, I exercised. I do enough exercise and I will be considering what I eat. I know that I eat about 1500-1700 calories when I am exercising. I fight away my depression and even lingering effects of my stroke with my exercise.

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You can't outrun a bad diet.