Replies

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I am constantly amazed on this site by the amount of calories people "claim" to have burned by exercise. I'm sorry, but most people (especially older women) are not burning 1000 calories from an hour and half of exercise. I went on a 100 mile hike in New Mexico, and I didn't lose a pound, even when hiking 10 plus miles a day with a 45 pack on my back.

90 mins of running burns me about 1k calories. I don’t think it’s highly unlikely to burn 1k with 90 mins of exercise, dependent on exertion level of course. Now those who claim a 1k burn in 60 mins are pretty laughable. But 1k in 90 mins is not unfathomable.

what exercise is netting you 1000cal burn in 90min? because that is like 3.5hrs of cycling for me at 16mph

I can run 11.5-12 miles in 90 mins, that burns me about 1k calories. I’m 33 y/o, 5’1” ~110 lbs.

Ran 13.2 today in 2 hours. Steady effort, HR avg 75% max (for people who think that matters). 29, 5'7, 146, female.
    Burned about 1200.

Right on, that’s a great run and sounds about right for calories burned. I get in 15-16 miles in 2 hours, and usually clock about 1300 or so calories burned.

That's awesome. Do you watch your heart rate during your runs?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Something like 30 years ago I was just under 200 pounds (I'm 5'4", I looked like a beachball on stilts) and tried to lose weight by exercising more but "eating the same amount." I happened to catch a radio broadcast by a man by the name of Paul Harvey. He said that the NIH had announced that a study had shown that people trying to lose weight were divided into four groups. One group only exercised, one group only ate a calorie-restricted diet, one group restricted calories and exercised and one did nothing. I do not remember how long the study lasted. The group that did nothing and those that only exercised showed only a slight significant difference (sorry, after all these years I don't remember the exact numbers). The group restricting calories did show a significant drop in weight but the group exercising and restricting calories showed the most drastic weight drop. We knew 30 years ago that exercise alone was not an effective weight loss strategy. I think people already know, just that some of them prefer to fool themselves. It's easier and more comfortable.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I'm 5'10'' and used to be 200 pounds. Let me tell you, I was fat. Fat, fat, fat. Borderline obese. Unless he did strength training and has good amounts of muscle because of that, so is your husband. And so are you. Denial won't make that go away.

And so are you. I am not saying I was thin or obese. I am saying my husband is not obese. I am calling you out for being an anorexic. There's been too many fat-phobic comments to my answer.

I have eight cats (yes, a long story). There are three cats in the obese category, three cats in medium category, and two cats in the skinny (cats still don't have nervous disorder like anorexia nervosa) category. I feed them all the same.

Don't categorize a person by what your BMI says, by what your prejudice is, and by your scale says.

And, by the way, a 6 foot 5 inch, weighing 265 lbs is obese according BMI standards. He wasn't. He was the discus (and shotput) thrower of a PAC12 university. He was my boyfriend previous to the husband.

Your definitions need some work. Fat phobic, anorexic, and obese do not mean what you seem to think they mean.

^ Seconded.

And I'm still left trying to figure out how benching could be not good for somebody's knees.

Thanks. I was curious about the knees and benching thing too.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I am constantly amazed on this site by the amount of calories people "claim" to have burned by exercise. I'm sorry, but most people (especially older women) are not burning 1000 calories from an hour and half of exercise. I went on a 100 mile hike in New Mexico, and I didn't lose a pound, even when hiking 10 plus miles a day with a 45 pack on my back.

90 mins of running burns me about 1k calories. I don’t think it’s highly unlikely to burn 1k with 90 mins of exercise, dependent on exertion level of course. Now those who claim a 1k burn in 60 mins are pretty laughable. But 1k in 90 mins is not unfathomable.

what exercise is netting you 1000cal burn in 90min? because that is like 3.5hrs of cycling for me at 16mph

I can run 11.5-12 miles in 90 mins, that burns me about 1k calories. I’m 33 y/o, 5’1” ~110 lbs.

Ran 13.2 today in 2 hours. Steady effort, HR avg 75% max (for people who think that matters). 29, 5'7, 146, female.
    Burned about 1200.

Right on, that’s a great run and sounds about right for calories burned. I get in 15-16 miles in 2 hours, and usually clock about 1300 or so calories burned.

That's awesome. Do you watch your heart rate during your runs?

I don’t. I’ve never used any of the hrm gadgets, but I’m curious now. My husband has an Apple Watch, maybe I’ll borrow that one of these days to check it out.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Want to do an armchair diagnosis? At least use the DSM-V criteria.
    She believes she did. Because pubmed says that bodybuilders exhibit disordered behaviour just like anorexics... did you miss her quote?! :wink:

LOL. Saw the quote, and quoted the quote, but didn't think that surely anyone could be as ignorant (protip: Not you :D ) as to think that an isolated comment from someone and a correlation from a study would actually diagnose someone.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I will say the amount of people on rascal scooters during my last visit to Disneyland was insane...

Literally an explosion of these things over the last several years...

The majority did not appear to even need them for any particular reason