"Americans Exercise More....Obesity Rates Still Climbing"

Options

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I will say the amount of people on rascal scooters during my last visit to Disneyland was insane...

Literally an explosion of these things over the last several years...

The majority did not appear to even need them for any particular reason

MICKY HEALS.

He is sure worshiped enough....
  • donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You just can't out-train a bad diet.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Carrying heavy bodyweight, whether muscle or fat, has been shown to be detrimental to health.

It puts a strain on your heart in either case.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if we look at 2 6ft, 275 pound guys one is 15% BF and the other is 35% BF the guy with 15% is actually moving, getting his heart rate up, etc and most likely healthier.

Is his heart healthier than another guy that is 6ft, 200 pounds and 25% BF? Someplace the streams cross.

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

High bodyweight levels lower life expectancy. It doesn't matter if you are muscular or not.

I maintain my initial statement is correct though.

"I'm going to go out on a limb and say if we look at 2 6ft, 275 pound guys one is 15% BF and the other is 35% BF the guy with 15% is actually moving, getting his heart rate up, etc and most likely healthier.

Is his heart healthier than another guy that is 6ft, 200 pounds and 25% BF? Someplace the streams cross."

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't know what the comparison date was, but if we are going back significant years, I don't think Americans exercise more is true. We may go to the gym more or do things we call "working out" more, but we are likely far less active in our daily lives (on average) even so.

Re CI vs CO, it doesn't make sense to say one side is more important or 80% or whatever. The problem is that if you don't do something (it doesn't have to be counting calories) to control calories in, and if you live in an environment like ours where eating is super easy and cheap, then increasing exercise may just result in eating more. Especially since many think exercise burns more calories than it does and will see that as an excuse to eat more indulgently.

I've lost weight just by increasing exercise, but it happened when my eating was already under control, so I didn't start eating more without realizing it. And I was truly exercising quite a lot (tri training)--many of the studies showing exercise does not help do things like taking someone out of shape and having them walk on a treadmill for an hour, which is both boring (people feel like it was more work than it was, since they hated it, and think they deserve a reward, food) and doesn't burn many calories.

It looks like the report is comparing numbers from Jan-Sept 2017 back to 1997. Given that time frame, it actually doesn't surprise me that physical activity would be up. I'd be curious specifically how many more people work out at home given the rise of free or inexpensive (at least compared to gym membership) online services.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/EarlyRelease201803.pdf

ETA: The charts for "leisure-time physical activity" start on page 43 and show a distinct jump for people meeting the aerobic activity recommendation starting in 2009 with a general upward trend since then. The response for meeting aerobic plus strength recommendations is on page 46 and shows a general upward trend since 1997, although overall numbers are lower.

I assume this is largely or entirely based on self reports. Perhaps a chunk of the exercise-increase statistical result arises from people gradually starting, around 2009, to feel better about themselves if they delude themselves into believing they routinely exercise, or simply wanting to look more respectable by lying about it?

;)

I'm curious about the self-reporting aspect of this too. My unscientific gut feeling is that people are probably not more likely to over-report now than in 1997 or 2007, but I genuinely don't know. I do know that over the last ten years, internet use has become incredibly widespread and has brought a lot of free resources that didn't previously exist. Yes, there's woo, but there's helpful information too. I think the younger generations (I'm an old Millennial personally) value walk-able neighborhoods and are genuinely concerned about the environment, and that goes hand-in-hand with increased health and fitness. I'd be curious to see the age group trends. I guess I feel like with all the crazy in the world these days, I want to cling to something positive out of all this.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Obesity is merely a classification based on weight to height ratio. Nothing more. Being classified as obese doesn't necessarily mean you carry all of the health risks equally to others classified as obese.

There are many very fit people. When @sijomial writes that her husband is "not obese at 5'9, 210", I don't think her point is to argue the classification, because it's simply a number and you can't really do that. Technically the numbers say he is. I would doubt very highly, however, that if he's in good shape with a muscular build that he carries the health risk that the average obese person would. At least I think that's her point.

@Silentpadna

You got the wrong person, I'm not a "her", I don't have a husband and I don't have a collection of cats.....

:smiley:

I'm also realistic about people's weight!

Dooohhhh! Can't edit now. Sorry about that!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia...

The average American consumes 3750 calories per day
    2nd highest in the world

PER DAY!

OMG! I just got to maintenance. I am a 59 yo male, 5'8" currently about 162, but going to lose a little more for a bigger cushion. I think maintenance is going to be ~1900 plus extra burn which will usually be under 500. I think even when I was gaining, my average wasn't that high. I had binge days above that.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    You've received a lot of flak already. I hope you don't mind my saying so, but congratulations finding a way to combat depression after a stroke. I can't even imagine how challenging that is. Regular depression is hard enough, and having to potentially cope with impaired speech, movement, and even cognition, must make it that much harder when you wake up each day. I've known several people who have suffered strokes or other injuries resulting from brain damage (bells palsy, cerebral palsy), and it is incredibly challenging to emotionally move on when your pain is literally staring you in the face each morning. My heart goes out to you.

I hope you continue winning against depression and, if you find that you need help, seek that --be it medical, mental, whatever. Sometimes we all need a trusted authority to check our perceptions and actions, even those of us who *appear* healthiest.

I am on 10mg Celexa and exercise and I continue on seeing a psychologist. I still have aphasia (10%) and speech apraxia (30-40%), and am considering "normal" in the physical world. "Strawberry," it's taken a month to say correctly. I cannot teach except in online classes.

My husband tells me I laugh more now. It is what it is.

I hope that continues working for you. Sounds like a rough path, but you seem to be traveling it and moving along. Feel free to shoot a message or anything if you ever need....anything.

Keep laughing. : )

[Edited by MFP mod]
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I will say the amount of people on rascal scooters during my last visit to Disneyland was insane...

Literally an explosion of these things over the last several years...

The majority did not appear to even need them for any particular reason

@Mr_Healthy_Habits
    The Disney parks would bump you to the front of the line if you were in a wheelchair/scooter. This was like 15-20 years ago. Not sure if that still occurs now, but if so, people will abuse it.