Bloating after eating anything

Options
13»

Replies

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I had IBS, that would happen to me. I had it pretty bad for a couple years, but thanks to a restricted diet for a few months plus probiotics, I'm much better now.

You may just have a stomach bug if it's only been for a week.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ah, just saw you mention that you do have IBS.
    vmlabute wrote: »
    Try adding a probiotic in the morning or taking one at night. I tend to bloat a lot throughout the day and adding probiotics helps a lot

I have tried those in the past (4 different brands) for IBS, which is mostly under control now and they all gave my liquid diarrhea. I suppose it could be something with the IBS but I have no other symptoms of a flare up and trust me I would know if I did.

IME, bloating alone can be a symptom of a flare up.

I hope you feel better soon. I know how uncomfortable that bloating is.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
    I did see that someone mentioned a food intolerance. I'd bet on that. I'm a celiac, and before being diagnosed I bloated after every meal, whether it had gluten or not, because I was so inflamed and my gut was damaged. I'd have a steak and veggie meal and bloat the same as a sandwich.

It took me weeks of being GF before I saw any improvement, so if you start an elimination diet, be prepared to give it a few weeks or months.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It's not quite clear what sort of bloating you're talking about. "Bloating" can mean many things.

This is a good post about bloating:
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If the bloating is water weight, drink enough water, stay at a consistent carb level, and stay at a consistent sodium level. (In premenopausal women,the answer to hormone related water weight is patience)

If the bloating is constipation, eat enough fiber, get enough water, get enough fat. Around here, fat is often the one that's the problem.

If the bloating is a "food baby" (like from a big holiday meal), go back to normal consumption and wait 60-72 hours for nature to take its course.

If the bloating is gas, simethecone is as good a short-term expedient as any.

If you've dramatically increased fiber recently, and become gassy as a result, it would've been better to have ramped fiber up gradually, and it might help to add some probiotic foods (live culture yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kim chi, kombucha fermented pickles, . . . ).

Consider whether your bloating tends to occur after consuming certain foods. It could be a direct effect (from something like carbonated beverages) or a food sensitivity/intolerance. If you suspect intolerance, see a registered dietician or allergist as appropriate. Don't just assume you have some trendy food sensitivity: Take steps to find out for sure.

If the bloating is none of those, please be more specific about what you're experience, rather than euphemistic, so we can give you more tailored suggestions.

Glad to hear you're seeing a doctor.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update @Fitnessgirl0913 hope the Probiotic helps for now...and at least April isn't far away either.

Try eggs for breakfast, they fill me up nicely along with some wholemeal toast but you could also have them in an omelette with some veggies if you want to stay away from bread :smile:
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    So just a quick update, My GI got back to me last night (it took awhile) and I have an appointment set up for early April, unfortunately that was the soonest she had available. She also recommended a specific strain of pro biotic for me to try in the mean time, it is super fancy looking and has to be refrigerated, I started that this morning and am hoping it will help soon. The past few morning I have had a quest bar instead of oatmeal as I have not really had much time to pick something else up from the grocery store due to a crazy work week this week. I still have bloating with the quest bar but not as much. Tomorrow will be the first day I don't have to work until 8am-8pm this week so I will go and get something else for breakfast, I like quest bars but they are not as filling to me and I am someone who gets ravenous by 10:00 am if I have not eaten a good breakfast. I appreciate all of your support!

I'm becoming increasingly intolerant of lactose and Quest bars now give me bloating from the whey in them.
    You could try a plant-based protein bar. Good luck with you diagnosis.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I had bloat and terrible gas (as well as other things) 14 years later the IBS (I was originally diagnosed with) was actually celieac. If you are going to see the doctor ask for the blood test for a start.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I had bloat and terrible gas (as well as other things) 14 years later the IBS (I was originally diagnosed with) was actually celieac. If you are going to see the doctor ask for the blood test for a start.

I have been tested for Celiac years ago (maybe 5 or so) and it was negative but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask to be tested again. This may be a dumb question but can you develop celiac later in life? I know you can develop an allergy or sensitivity to Gluten at any point but I always thought Celiac specifically was something you would have your whole life. Sorry if that is an ignorant question, just looking for info!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I have been tested for Celiac years ago (maybe 5 or so) and it was negative but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask to be tested again. This may be a dumb question but can you develop celiac later in life? I know you can develop an allergy or sensitivity to Gluten at any point but I always thought Celiac specifically was something you would have your whole life. Sorry if that is an ignorant question, just looking for info!

Yes! Celiac can be triggered at any time. It can also have "honeymoon" periods when you don't show symptoms. It's probably worth getting tested again--and see if you can have both the blood test and biopsy tests.

You could also try a food elimination challenge to see if you can pinpoint a problem, but a true and accurate challenge is a LOT of work. From a Celiac perspective, to test positive you do need a certain amount of antibodies present, so giving up gluten before being tested is not a good idea.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Yes! Celiac can be triggered at any time. It can also have "honeymoon" periods when you don't show symptoms. It's probably worth getting tested again--and see if you can have both the blood test and biopsy tests.

You could also try a food elimination challenge to see if you can pinpoint a problem, but a true and accurate challenge is a LOT of work. From a Celiac perspective, to test positive you do need a certain amount of antibodies present, so giving up gluten before being tested is not a good idea.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely ask my doctor to be tested again!
  • Dlouise90
    Dlouise90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking digestive enzymes? I use a brand called Rainbow Light; I take one before every big meal and it has helped a lot with bloating and digestive issues.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You could try the Low FODMAP diet. I follow it quite closely for my IBS. Take a look. https://www.medicinenet.com/low_fodmap_diet_list_of_foods_to_eat_and_avoid/article.htm
  • olyamhc
    olyamhc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've had the bloating issue almost daily since my 25lb weight gain at 26yo. My environment was stressful and I chose sweets and large restaurant meals (tacos usually) to cope with it all. I'd never have weight or bloating issues before. Also, I was taking an antidepressant at that time. I've had several tests at GI and the only diagnosis that was given to me was GERD. I took one prescription (Prilosec I think) for 3months, haven't noticed much difference, but heartburn issues were gone.
    Fast forward to now, I've since lost most of the weight that I gained, but still have bloating on and off (more on), even if I eat "clean".
    I got better insurance now, so maybe I'll go to another GI again. Btw, previous one tested me for Celiac and I was negative.
    Good luck to us! Please update us if you get any news from the doctors, it would be useful for me personally and I'm sure some others on here, too.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Try BRAT diet. Google it.
    Be sure to include chicken noodle and chicken rice soups. To avoid getting too much sodium go for healthy choice soup, Campbell's healthy request soups, and other low sodium soups. Costco makes a great chicken soup they sell in their deli department. Hope this helps.

*candied/dried ginger chunks are good for nausea, inflammation and gas. Ginger tea or diet ginger ale. Be sure to chew well. Fluids of the right types can help you feel better. Try to keep your electrolytes up also.

Light activity like light walks can help.

Ask your dr, but I found gas-x helped me when I was dealing with severe bloating. My gi dr suggested it for me.

I am not a Dr or nurse or a dietician though. Just someone who had severe GI problems also. Just sharing things that helped me. Hugs.