Random compliments from strangers

Options

Replies

• SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    Online compliments don't count btw.

I mostly get compliment by homeless men. I take it as a huge compliment since their standards are so high.

I don't know weather to laugh and fall out of my chair at work...or be concerned. :laugh:
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    Online compliments don't count btw.

I mostly get compliment by homeless men. I take it as a huge compliment since their standards are so high.
    Thanks for the chuckle. That made my day

@DashDev is a comedienne.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    if it seems genuine and not creepy, I smile, say "thank you" and move along.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of very attractive women on this site, and you all are a particularly chatty group too, so this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question. I am quite accustom to giving and receiving complements online with people I do not know but not strangers in the real world. I am not talking about cat calls on the street or men trying to pick you up in the bar, I mean going about your business at the grocery store and some random guy comes up and compliments you (not hey, baby nice *kitten* but more genuine compliment) . How do you handle it? Is it just a thank you, or do you try to compliment back? Does it creep you out, flatter you, maybe a little bit of both?

I've actually had quite a few random compliments in the last month or two.

2 ladies I sorta know at the gym come up to me about every few months and tell me they see how much progress I have made.

another lady at the gym came up to me a few weeks ago and told me that my trainer is super hard ( he is), I'm doing great at my workouts, and she can see the progress.

it is flattering to have people take the time to compliment me...and I just smile and thank them.
  • summerof1979
    summerof1979 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I often get compliments from men and women, I say thank you and continue on my way usually.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options

Again...because you're normal. HAHA.

I imagine someone not taking a compliment well by screaming and clawing at the sides of their face and running away as fast as possible. that's how outlandish this is to me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I usually turn bright red and choke out the words 'Thank you'.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Most compliments I believe are given with good intentions, even in the workplace. It's just people who interpret them otherwise.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I compliment complete strangers all the time! ( And yes it's always a female) There is always something beautiful about every woman on this planet!

It's just my nature to try to make people feel good about themselves and I am a pathological flirt!

If they think it's creepy oh well!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Again...because you're normal. HAHA.

I imagine someone not taking a compliment well by screaming and clawing at the sides of their face and running away as fast as possible. that's how outlandish this is to me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've been told I'm weird, because I'm normal... *meh*
  • ProudMammaTo3
    Options
    I've been asked by some middle aged man looking at ice cream.....yes, ice cream lol...if I was more of a vannila girl or a chocolate girl. He said he really likes the vannila he sees. It was the worst line ever. Then once I had a random guy tell me I have a very nice rib cage. I was like wth!? Hannibal much.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It is really hard for me to take a compliment. But over the years I have gotten many comments that I certainly take as compliments that I look young, especially if I'm with my teenage granddaughters (18 & 16) or my son (43) or daughter (38). As I got into my 50s and now my 60s I have learned to smile and say "thank you so much, you just made my day for me" because it really does make me happy.
  • SmoothRiko
    Options
    It is really hard for me to take a compliment. But over the years I have gotten many comments that I certainly take as compliments that I look young, especially if I'm with my teenage granddaughters (18 & 16) or my son (43) or daughter (38). As I got into my 50s and now my 60s I have learned to smile and say "thank you so much, you just made my day for me" because it really does make me happy.

As it should!
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    honestly I have never had a random person come up and compliment me....so I have no answer for you. But you have a very stunning face and gorgeous hair, so I am not surprised you have compliments from strangers. Probably daily :smile:

If you are not getting compliments regularly the population of Billings MT needs a new optician :flowerforyou:

I second this! You are so beautiful!
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I agree with most people's response. If I am complimented by a stranger I just give them a genuine smile and a simple thank you very much.
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Then once I had a random guy tell me I have a very nice rib cage. I was like wth!? Hannibal much.

:laugh: but at the same time :noway:

That is creepy and just not right.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    If I get a compliment I am proud the whole day :-)
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love getting random compliments from strangers...even from the somewhat creepy people.

My only problem is that I never get complimented by anyone in real life besides my hubby. However, my 10-year dry spell of random compliments was broken last week when I not only got hit on, but was also given this guy's phone number while out with my skinny hot best friend at a bar!! I'm still glowing from that one encounter and it's been a week now!

Now if only it would happen again so I wouldn't think it was a fluke accident...
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was taught by my mother to take a compliment with grace, so I say thank you and smile.

The most memorable compliment I've received was when I was around 18 or 19 in a car with friends. We were at a red light and I laughed at something and looked then looked out the window and the guy in the car next to us said I had a beautiful smile. It meant a lot because he wasn't trying to come on to me at all.

The weirdest compliment I received from a stranger was when I was 16 or 17 years old and waiting to meet my dad in a park (he was late as usual). This guy asked to sit on the bench beside me. It was a public park so obviously I'm not going to say no! Then he started chatting with me and said he liked the hair on my legs!! I'm fair so I only shave my lower legs as the hair on my thighs is barely visible. That creeped me out! I was so mad at my dad for being late!!
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The thing is....I've never received compliments from strangers.
    So I'll be pretty startled. Even if it happens, I'll probably hear these compliments from my friends
    That a certain somebody thought I was pretty-
    Or my mom (her coworkers go to the same gym I do and they tell her I'm looking healthy and or pretty) so maybe I'm standoff ish?
    I always have a serious look on my face. I guess I scare people haha!