Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated all alcohol since March 1st and eating a WFPB diet style and have lost 14lbs so far!! IT IS THE FOOD AND IT WORKS

What is WFPB?
  • AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    4rtistry wrote: »

The great dilemma.

I'm in, starting this month. I don't expect life to get any less stressful, but I figure the least I can do is choose to respond to stress in a way that's healthy and doesn't actively impede my other goals.

Loved the picture you posted and it is completely true. Good luck to you!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with Mad Men. I rented Season 1 on Netflix but decided that I would just watch the rest as they come on cable. It is so well written and at times extremely funny, but I am constantly saying, "oooh that makes me so mad" whenever one of the guys pop off a sexist remark or something is completely male chauvinistic. My husband says, "Don't watch it if you don't like it." But I'm boarder line hooked. There is also something extremely appealing and yet equally creepy about Don Draper. I never thought about it until now, but I think it's the alcohol. I think he's creepy when drunk. Just like I thought Robert Downey Jr was creepy in Short Cuts (I had to go look up the name of the movie - haha). After that I couldn't stand him. He is just now getting back into my good graces with the Iron Man movies, coincidentally he is sober now. It has also taken me years to somewhat like Nicholas Cage after watching him play an extreme alcoholic. That move made me sick to my stomach.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    OMG, @JenT304, you and I are having the same problem. Today I'm trying to increase protein bc I'm feeling hungry - a lot. Just had some Fage, which has a ton of protein, and some cashews. Hope that does the job for awhile. I put my little sweets (couple of chocolate kisses, few gummies and my beloved TJ mini peanut butter cup) in a little dish and said to myself, THAT IS IT. No mas. When those are gone, you're done. Fingers Xd.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @SanDiegofitmom - we tried Narcos, we really did. Just couldn't do it, for the same reasons you cite.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    @kittybenn the struggle is real.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    The actor that plays Don Draper (dreamy Jon Hamm) ended up in rehab after the show. Life imitating art perhaps? I'm still eating Easter candy like there is no tomorrow but I am GOING to get through April AF come Hell or high water. @ Julie I love the alcohol mastery guy's podcast(Kevin O'Hara) but he always sounds like he is out of breath. Like he is taping his podcasts while on the treadmill or something.

He is out of breath (Kevin O'Hara); most of his videos and I assume podcasts are done when he is hiking. Must be his thing. Get two things done at once.
    Yes, John Hamm is one handsome man! Didn't know he went to rehab.

Off topic, there is a good series on Amazon called "Catastrophe"; it's about a newly married couple (in their lates 30s) navigating life. But in the show, the husband is portrayed as a recovering alcoholic. As the seasons progress, his addiction is starting to rear it's ugly head in their lives. Don't want to reveal too much. I recommend it; it's quirky, humorous and serious, too.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

What is WFPB?

Whole Food Plant Based. It is a good way to detox your system because in addition to meat you stay away from processed foods. For me it is not sustainable but in my six week diet rotation I do have a week that is WFPB + some fish. The first time through gave me days of near euphoria.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    OMG, @JenT304, you and I are having the same problem. Today I'm trying to increase protein bc I'm feeling hungry - a lot. Just had some Fage, which has a ton of protein, and some cashews. Hope that does the job for awhile. I put my little sweets (couple of chocolate kisses, few gummies and my beloved TJ mini peanut butter cup) in a little dish and said to myself, THAT IS IT. No mas. When those are gone, you're done. Fingers Xd.

I have no willpower when it comes to peanut butter cups. If that dish were in my home I would have devoured them like the sesame street cookie monster and probably licked the dish to make sure no molecule of deliciousness escaped my gaping maw.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options

Excerpt from a very good article:
    "You could have two women, same age, same weight, and give them the exact same amount of alcohol every day for a year,” says Wallace. “One might develop a problematic relationship to alcohol, and the other might not. Why? Because of genetics and emotional factors. It’s much more complex than just the amount that you’re drinking.”"

https://www.self.com/story/alcoholic-or-just-really-like-to-drink
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

What is WFPB?

Whole Food Plant Based. It is a good way to detox your system because in addition to meat you stay away from processed foods. For me it is not sustainable but in my six week diet rotation I do have a week that is WFPB + some fish. The first time through gave me days of near euphoria.

Oh! Cool! I love love eating a more plant based diet, I could totally be a vegetarian except for my Meat loving husband. I try to sneak in more meat free days and I do all organic and grass fed meats now. It’s more expensive but I would rather pay more and not worry about antibiotics, chemicals and hormones in the meat.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @SanDiegofitmom - we tried Narcos, we really did. Just couldn't do it, for the same reasons you cite.

My husband loved it! I’m like give me Outlander :) also, speaking of your earlier posts do you ever get the dark chocolate peanut butter cups at TJs? Soooo good
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    Excerpt from a very good article:
    "You could have two women, same age, same weight, and give them the exact same amount of alcohol every day for a year,” says Wallace. “One might develop a problematic relationship to alcohol, and the other might not. Why? Because of genetics and emotional factors. It’s much more complex than just the amount that you’re drinking.”"

https://www.self.com/story/alcoholic-or-just-really-like-to-drink

So true! I have some friends who just don’t care for alcohol - I’m like how is that possible?
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 I just read the article. Thank you for sharing it. I love how everyone contributes what they find on line. It really helps me to have such a wide range of perspectives to learn from.