Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    @lisamoravec And think of all the hundreds of calories you saved and money, too. Awesome week!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I'm late, but in! No alcohol for the month.

No, you're just on time! Welcome to our AF journey. Let us know what works for you.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @WinoGelato Love all of your messages and comments. You are a positive, wonderful person. I love hearing your thoughts.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @JenT304 Shirley Temple! I used to love those. I just may ask for one next time and see what the bartender says.
    It's kind of puzzling that the bartender hasnt heard of mocktails. I seem to see that they are a growing trend.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    We sat at the bar last night and I asked the bartender if he could make me a mocktail. He looked confused. So I said, "ok well check with Sean (the other bartender) and see what you can come up with." He ended up bringing me a Shirley Temple! I don't think I have had one of those since I was about nine. But I liked having my pretty drink in a fancy glass, alcohol free and had a good time with my husband. I am slowly losing the urge to drink. Slowly. Reading the posts here and watching Craig Beck videos on you tube helps me stay the course. Happy Saturday Everyone!

I’m surprised that’s what he came up with! But at least you had the experience of a fun drink. I’ll never forget the amazing mocktail I got in SF when I was pregnant and on a work trip- it was like citrus, muttled with mint maybe are bitters NA? I feel like depth of flavor is what is missing with most mocktail! I also wish that NA wines tasted better!! I hear there is a lot more NA beer that tastes nearly as good! I looked for some at BevMo but didn’t see anything. If anyone knows of an NA IPA that’s actually worth drinking let me know! I would love some for the summer bbqing!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato yep! The back to back to back is met too! In the last 20 days I’ve been in Chicago, in Paso Robles wine country for my 40th and now in Mexico on vacation and then in a week I’m in SF. All these celebrations are catching up with me and I’m just ready to work out, eat salad and drink sparkling water :) I just hope the transition back to AF isn’t too hard :( I feel like I’ve been indulging for too long and ready to reign it in!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/g11644970/celebrities-who-dont-drink-alcohol/?src=arb_fb_m

This came up on my FB feed tonight. The ads are annoying (and some creepy) but scrolling through the list is interesting. Think how many of us have commented about feeling like we are the only ones at social events not drinking - imagine what it’s like for those celebrities!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Orphia Love your comments and reflections! I like the "Tomorrow you". That is really eye opening for me. We are striving for good health for tomorrow's you.

@JulieAL1969 Thanks! Hope it's helpful.

More on "Tomorrow You":

Instead of lumbering myself with guilt, headaches, and poor nutrition hangovers the next day, we can think how nice it would be not to feel that way tomorrow. I love "me" and don't want "Tomorrow Me" to feel awful.

Instead of thinking alcohol is something nice to have *now*, think of NOT drinking as something nice we can do for the person we are when we awaken in the morning.

Sort of like banking calories for a festive occasion, we can bank a good mood for when we wake up.

We need to have sympathy for "Tomorrow You" and be kind to her/him.

It makes it easier if we don't look at not drinking as a punishment for being bad or having no willpower.

Instead we can look at it like not drinking is a lovely, sympathetic gesture towards the person we are now, and whom we will wake up as.

A real treat for body and mind.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/g11644970/celebrities-who-dont-drink-alcohol/?src=arb_fb_m

This came up on my FB feed tonight. The ads are annoying (and some creepy) but scrolling through the list is interesting. Think how many of us have commented about feeling like we are the only ones at social events not drinking - imagine what it’s like for those celebrities!

52 people! Quite interesting, and it makes me ponder on all the soul-searching that's been done by so many.

We sometimes all feel alone, but we're all so similar.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

52 people! Quite interesting, and it makes me ponder on all the soul-searching that's been done by so many.

We sometimes all feel alone, but we're all so similar.

This group has been great for realizing just how many others are experiencing similar challenges!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    I am going now online to see what is in a Shirley Temple?? Something with Pineapple juice sounds good right about now. My sister wants to have a Pina Colada when the 2 of us go on vacation this summer. I am going to make some Virgin ones before we go---maybe that will be enough as I am afraid that I will be too tempted to have one while gone. Maybe I will go for a walk while she has one, if l she does. I would rather see the ocean even if it is raining. I am trying to have a game plan..............as it is really bothering me. She doesn't know that I am AF. Maybe I will tell her, IDK.

Good for you @JulieAL1969!! I have used that as an occasion to drink in the past, too. Now you seem so pleased!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @WinoGelato Look at Russell Crowe these days. He looks awful after being so fit and handsome in Gladiator movie. I know he's an alcoholic and his face looks like one.
    When I look at the celebrities who do not drink, they look so fresh.
    Recently, the beautiful wife of John Legend (I can't remember her name) said in an article that she realized she was drinking way too much at home and at their events , so she took a month off from drinking.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Good seven minute video about your appearance and drinking. I have known several older relatives who had that big , red, nose and ruddy red face. As a kid, I would watch them consume a bottle of vodka each at parties. And my younger cousins and I would fill up shot glasses with water and drink them down like shots; that's what we saw at our family get togethers. Now, so sad to look back upon.

My uncle who drank heavily for decades did quit about 10 years ago; he's 86 now. And guess what? He looks better than he ever has before, walks daily at the mall and is very healthy. It's never too late to quit!

https://youtu.be/9RfuWZFn6rE
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Orphia - such a great story. Thanks for sharing! I loved this: I want to be able to have a couple of bubblies to celebrate a special occasion, then go back to being alcohol-free till I have another special reason to celebrate.

I'm in the same camp (moderation Fri-Sun), although I must say my husband and I were out on our boat anchored offshore from a blues fest Friday night and I had three glasses of wine. I had a great time, but let me tell you, I SUFFERED Saturday. I had a gross headache, felt nauseated and had zero energy. Turned out to be a totally wasted day and I was in jammies in front of the TV by 6 p.m. I also ate wayyy too much yesterday. Excessive drinking seems to go hand in hand with excessive eating for me. There used to be days when I could have three glasses and be perfectly fine. Maybe I was just perpetually in a hungover state? Lesson learned, I hope and back to being good this morning.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    @WinoGelato - Appreciate your thoughtful post, as always. You are such an important member of our group, and I always get something out of whatever you say. I agree, a routine feels so good. After blowing it Friday night and having a wasted Saturday I'm back to being the person I like. Prepping food, getting exercise - the stuff that makes us all feel good about ourselves.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    Gawd, @SanDiegofitmom - PLEASE let me know if you ever find an AF wine that you can stand. I know you're a wine lover, too, so would trust your opinion! Man, the couple I've tried are terrible - like pour down the sink terrible.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Had pre-planned wine last night, didn't overeat, and feel good this morning. Out early to take dogs to the groomer, then grocery shopping and home for breakfast. A few chores need to be done today, but nothing much, I'll relax and get ready for work tomorrow, mostly. I have the window open, enjoying probably the last cool morning of the year, until October...

I really like the stories and hearing how everybody's doing. So many great ideas, thanks for posting all the links and videos.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    @dressagerider1020 - boy, I hear ya. You must live near me - I'm in FL. And I'm starting to sweat on my morning walks. V sorry all the rest of you who live in places that are still cold and snowy!