Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you @kittybenn for the article. It was really interesting and eye opening!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    adarbyem wrote: »
    Went from 6-pack per day (more on the weekends) to MAYBE 6 total in the last 38 days. The alcohol wasn't the problem as much as the 1500+ additional calories each day. Eye opener for sure.

Awesome! Great for weight loss.
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    More reading material: Did Drinking Give Me Breast Cancer?
    The science on the link is clear, but the alcohol industry has worked hard to downplay it.

Welp. That's terrifying. Nevertheless, thank you for sharing; it's given me a lot to think about.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I had a super brief moment last night, when I was putting my kids to bed, where I thought "gosh, I don't even have anything to look forward to now that I'm not having a nightly glass or two of wine after they go to bed". I quickly pushed that out of my head and reminded myself that what I had to look forward to was paying attention to what I was reading or watching on tv instead of zoning out and passing out on the couch, a night of restful sleep, a morning exercise routine that wasn't clouded by a fuzzy headache, etc.

It was fleeting but it was honestly one of the first times my drinking brain tried to play that little trick on me, and I know others of you have mentioned something similar, so I thought I'd fess up to it.

I hear you. For me, this is that habit/reward thing again. It's like I have been conditioned to think that I deserve some kind of reward at the end of a busy day for making it through. TV ads tell me that. Social media tells me that. There are little cues everywhere I go trying to tell me that, but I am trying to change that way of thinking. If I deserve some kind of reward just for making it through my day, what does that say about my life? I am concentrating on making each moment its own reward, enjoying the things that I am doing. My job can be stressful at times, but it can also be enjoyable. I need to focus on the things I enjoy about it. Sometimes it feels stressful to try and cram my run in after work then get home and cook dinner, but I like to run, so I am going to forget about what I need to do when I am finished running and enjoy my time out there. And when it comes to that time when I would normally pour myself a glass of wine to relax, I remind myself that I do not need that wine to help me relax end enjoy myself because I already am.

@lporter229 Another insightful post. Thanks. I really think this habit/reward discussion is fascinating. Lots to think about.

I said earlier I was going to celebrate finishing painting my room with a drink (I haven't had any alcohol since Jan 31).

I managed to paint one coat on all my bedroom walls over Easter. Since then I've done other coats, and the trimmings and wardrobe. Mr O also stepped in and helped when I was feeling discouraged about how long it was taking and he did the second coat of the wardrobe and window frame. So grateful!

I finished cleaning off the masking tape from the windows last night, and then I moved everything back into the room:

ocyvjh6s4khy.jpg

When I got it all set up, I had a bath and washed my hair, and I got to sleep in clean sheets, clean nightie, totally clean room! So happy!

I didn't even *want* any alcohol!

Looks so serene and relaxing! Perfect spot for a cup of tea and a good book! And well, whatever else you and Mr O want to do in there...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I had a super brief moment last night, when I was putting my kids to bed, where I thought "gosh, I don't even have anything to look forward to now that I'm not having a nightly glass or two of wine after they go to bed". I quickly pushed that out of my head and reminded myself that what I had to look forward to was paying attention to what I was reading or watching on tv instead of zoning out and passing out on the couch, a night of restful sleep, a morning exercise routine that wasn't clouded by a fuzzy headache, etc.

It was fleeting but it was honestly one of the first times my drinking brain tried to play that little trick on me, and I know others of you have mentioned something similar, so I thought I'd fess up to it.

I hear you. For me, this is that habit/reward thing again. It's like I have been conditioned to think that I deserve some kind of reward at the end of a busy day for making it through. TV ads tell me that. Social media tells me that. There are little cues everywhere I go trying to tell me that, but I am trying to change that way of thinking. If I deserve some kind of reward just for making it through my day, what does that say about my life? I am concentrating on making each moment its own reward, enjoying the things that I am doing. My job can be stressful at times, but it can also be enjoyable. I need to focus on the things I enjoy about it. Sometimes it feels stressful to try and cram my run in after work then get home and cook dinner, but I like to run, so I am going to forget about what I need to do when I am finished running and enjoy my time out there. And when it comes to that time when I would normally pour myself a glass of wine to relax, I remind myself that I do not need that wine to help me relax end enjoy myself because I already am.

@lporter229 Another insightful post. Thanks. I really think this habit/reward discussion is fascinating. Lots to think about.

I said earlier I was going to celebrate finishing painting my room with a drink (I haven't had any alcohol since Jan 31).

I managed to paint one coat on all my bedroom walls over Easter. Since then I've done other coats, and the trimmings and wardrobe. Mr O also stepped in and helped when I was feeling discouraged about how long it was taking and he did the second coat of the wardrobe and window frame. So grateful!

I finished cleaning off the masking tape from the windows last night, and then I moved everything back into the room:

ocyvjh6s4khy.jpg

When I got it all set up, I had a bath and washed my hair, and I got to sleep in clean sheets, clean nightie, totally clean room! So happy!

I didn't even *want* any alcohol!

Looks so serene and relaxing! Perfect spot for a cup of tea and a good book! And well, whatever else you and Mr O want to do in there...

I agree...it looks fantastic. I also love that you did not want a drink even though you had planned it. Sometimes the reward of a job well done is all we need.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Moderators, please read no further.

This is a very long article, courtesy of Hip Sobriety's FB post ....and, last year, I wouldn't have read it myself. It challenges prevalent notions about supposed benefits of moderate alcohol consumption.

Those who are looking more or less toward being AF than A-less, less-A or less is more, but none is better.... read on why "The science is clear that alcohol raises the risk of cancer, but boozemakers don't want you to know."

DiSCUS has helped many of us look forward to "wine o'clock" through the past years. To quote from the article: "The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States “is working to ensure cultural acceptance of alcohol beverages by ‘normalizing’ them in the minds of consumers as a healthy part of a normal lifestyle,” the group’s CEO said in 2000. Those who are curious to know more:
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/04/did-drinking-give-me-breast-cancer/
  • Fitmamak7
    Fitmamak7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just started cutting back on Monday.
    I am allowing myself one with the hubby
    at night. Sure way to save some money.
    I feel better already.
    Good luck to everyone.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    @Julie I was thinking the same thing. It is 82 degrees here and sunny, FINALLY. Really makes me want a chardonnay.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    After my 1st day going AF, I felt so good this morning, head was clear, and ready to tackle the day! Happy Friday!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that chardonnay or anything else after all. We went out and the bartender brought me a pretty AF drink though he made a face at me when I asked for something without booze. I've been going there so long he surely must have thought this was court ordered instead of a personal decision. I felt kind of embarrassed and wanted to say, I didn't get a DUI or anything!" but I kept my mouth shut. Like Annie Grace said, "I am choosing the awkwardness of saying no thanks to booze tonight over not having a hangover in the morning." Or something like that.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    Moderators, please read no further.

This is a very long article, courtesy of Hip Sobriety's FB post ....and, last year, I wouldn't have read it myself. It challenges prevalent notions about supposed benefits of moderate alcohol consumption.

Those who are looking more or less toward being AF than A-less, less-A or less is more, but none is better.... read on why "The science is clear that alcohol raises the risk of cancer, but boozemakers don't want you to know."

DiSCUS has helped many of us look forward to "wine o'clock" through the past years. To quote from the article: "The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States “is working to ensure cultural acceptance of alcohol beverages by ‘normalizing’ them in the minds of consumers as a healthy part of a normal lifestyle,” the group’s CEO said in 2000. Those who are curious to know more:
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/04/did-drinking-give-me-breast-cancer/

Interesting.

For those who haven't got time or technology to read/click, here's this statistic from it for some perspective:

"Overall, American women have about a 12 percent lifetime risk of getting breast cancer. Walter Willett, an epidemiology professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health who has conducted studies on alcohol and breast cancer, says a woman who consumes two to three drinks a day has a lifetime risk of about 15 percent—a 25 percent increase over teetotalers. By comparison, mammography reduces the death rate from breast cancer by about 25 percent. “Alcohol can undo all of that at about two drinks a day,” Willett says."