Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Made it through work this week so far. Within the last 5 minutes boss asks me to do an ice cream run the other day. I arranged to come in early to leave early. I also previously asked to not do non-urgent trips with my car (unpaid mileage btw). So mad. Anyways had to have sugar, but made it through AF. Also managed to get some of the Easter pounds off this week anyways! Also interviewed for a new company yesterday. We will see. I will detail examples of non-necessary trips Friday with her. Wish me the best!

You go girl! Sounds like a successful week with your diet and being AF. Best wishes on Friday. Xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @Julie Great job! I too come to this thread when I am feeling the urge to drink. Yesterday I wanted a chardonnay so bad but I utilized the tools I learned from others here (wait 6 minutes and the urge will pass, drink something else, you may be just thirsty etc) and the desire let up and passed. I also asked myself, "Do you really want a sleepless night and a racing heart at 2 am? Because that is what is going to happen if you open a bottle." Anyway I jumped out of bed feeling energized and happy and it's 5:30 am here. I know I would be full of self loathing and disappointment if I had caved.

Awesome Jen! I have that too- racing heartbeat - it's awful at night if I drink. Likely the Edgar Allen Poem story "The tell tale heart"!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 - Amazing strength. Such an inspiration. WTG!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! It says "kitten." Oh, well, Depression isn't a lying small feline. It's a lying you-know-what.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @Julie Great job! I too come to this thread when I am feeling the urge to drink. Yesterday I wanted a chardonnay so bad but I utilized the tools I learned from others here (wait 6 minutes and the urge will pass, drink something else, you may be just thirsty etc) and the desire let up and passed. I also asked myself, "Do you really want a sleepless night and a racing heart at 2 am? Because that is what is going to happen if you open a bottle." Anyway I jumped out of bed feeling energized and happy and it's 5:30 am here. I know I would be full of self loathing and disappointment if I had caved.

This was me last night. We grilled a steak for steak salads. Here is the conversation I had with my husband:

Him: I think I want to have a beer while I grill. Do you care?
    Me: Why would I care? Just because I am not drinking doesn't mean you can't.
    Him: I know. I just don't want to drink that much either.
    Me: I think I want a glass of wine (was I waiting for permission? encouragement?)
    Him: No you don't.
    Me; You're right. I will regret it if I do.
    Him: Yes, you will.

I am so thankful to have a husband who gets me and really cares. I know he also worries about his relationship with alcohol, but is less likely to do anything about it. But he has been taking some cues from me this month and, with the exception of Saturday night, he is drinking far less than usual. I am not sure if he is trying to be supportive or if he is just finding encouragement from me. Either way, it's been helpful. 10 days in the books.

Your hubby is a good man!
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!! Way to keep up the good work and learning new ways to cope!

I just completed day 10 AF! Not missing those 3am wake up calls at all, lol! Adding in some exercise finally and feeling better. I love the Annie Graces 30 Day Experiment. It has been very helpful and I highly recommend it. It doesn't take much time daily to complete and it kinda makes you deal with things you would rather not!

Have a great day Guys and Gals!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Question: Does anyone have a specific "Naked Mind" podcast or any other podcast that they would recommend? I think I would like to listen to one on my run this evening when my mind should be open and clear. TIA!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh; there is Mexican chocolate black tea and chocolate black tea ( both loose leaf) at the tea shop. Craving sweets and chocolate (been indulging too much). Looking for a better alternative. I am eating too much dark chocolate even (70%). Been tired lately so that is not helping either.
  • salleewins
    Options

Great job!!!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »
    Great job everyone!! Way to keep up the good work and learning new ways to cope!

I just completed day 10 AF! Not missing those 3am wake up calls at all, lol! Adding in some exercise finally and feeling better. I love the Annie Graces 30 Day Experiment. It has been very helpful and I highly recommend it. It doesn't take much time daily to complete and it kinda makes you deal with things you would rather not!

That is what helped me so much the first 30 days. I had already listened to This Naked Mind, but going through each lesson and journaling was what I needed. Glad you are benefiting from them as well. I would wake up each morning so excited to start my lesson and then I made a donation so I can keep going back to those days and seeing what I had written. It's so critical for me to be able to remember what I was feeling in those early days.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Nice seeing people avoid temptation. Nice work!

I never got the racing heart thing. Acid reflux and weight gain on the other hand have been constant companions over the last few years.

I got sorta good news yesterday. My biggest trigger is now not happening next month but in July. This gives me more time to figure out how to deal with it. It is another routine situation... when x happens drink happens and this time around it is 3 weeks of x. It is the reason the routine got started in the first place and alcohol escaped its then Friday night confinement. When I have slipped in the last 2 months and had drinks on non-allowance days it was because of it too.

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    @kittybenn That should be a huge concern for all women who drink. The link is undeniable. Another good reason for me to stay off the sauce.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @kittybenn @JenT304 Very scary article and news.

Many studies that are funded by the alcohol lobbyists and companies are relayed by the news and printed over and over, until people actually believe these studies. No one knows who funds them.

I just watched a short bit on NBC nightly news as I sit here typing, it says that drinking shortens your life. More than six drinks a week for women will shorten your life span.
    It's all grim news, I think, when it comes to alcohol consumption:(
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »

Awesome! I remember my 10th day. That is a huge deal. You've passed by two weekends of no drinking basically. I bought myself a bracelet that evening to celebrate. I'm so happy for you!
  • salleewins
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    More reading material: Did Drinking Give Me Breast Cancer?
    The science on the link is clear, but the alcohol industry has worked hard to downplay it.

Unbelievable!