Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• mskg20
    mskg20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been craving a glass of red wine or 2 for about a week now. I know that won't hurt anything but since I told myself I would hold off for the whole month then I will try to continue that. I can literally taste the wine as I type this, Lord help me Jesus!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    mskg20 wrote: »
    I've been craving a glass of red wine or 2 for about a week now. I know that won't hurt anything but since I told myself I would hold off for the whole month then I will try to continue that. I can literally taste the wine as I type this, Lord help me Jesus!
    Hang in there ! One month out of a lifetime is manageable. After one month, you'll feel so good and clear , then you can decide what you'll do after that month.
  • mskg20
    Options
    Just got home from
    The bar with my friend. I had vodka with club soda. I estimate 4 shots probably in those drinks.
    Right now feel pretty good. But My ears are buzzing from the noise of the bar.
    I'll let you know if I have that dreaded loud fast heartbeat tomorrow.
    Life is a journey, that's for sure.
    mskg20 wrote: »
    Hang in there ! One month out of a lifetime is manageable. After one month, you'll feel so good and clear , then you can decide what you'll do after that month.

Thanks so much for the support, ir means alot when trying to stay focused.
  • mskg20
    Options
    *it
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 - Yay, you! I love this: "I am choosing the awkwardness of saying no thanks to booze tonight over not having a hangover in the morning." You really do have to stop giving a *kitten* about what other people think of you and your choices. You are doing great and you inspire me! We're going out tonight so need to get that attitude going. We're going out to that crazy art walk where a few weeks ago I bought the gigantic wine glass that when they filled it up ended up being equal to something like 20 oz. Won't make that mistake again, LOL.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    @kittybenn thank you. And why IS it that we feel embarrassed to say "no thank you" to alcohol when offered? Why?! No one is going to offer you any other drug and be surprised when you say no, right? Well at least not in the circles I move in LOL.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Yes @JenT304 , you are inspiring and so right!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Good morning friends. Luckily I woke up feeling ok. Not perfect but ok. The vodkas were totally unnecessary, but the little devil on my shoulder said "Live a little. Who cares!". The alcohol did nothing for me. It's not like my night was enhanced in any way. That is what is so strange. I was having good meaningful conversations with my best friend without the drinks.

We got to talking to two young men and they bought us a shot. I also noticed that throughout the night, they pounded a lot of shots. But The reason I am bringing up meeting this young man is he told me about his favorite book and philosophy developed by Renee Girard. I'm going to look into this. I do love meeting new people who come into your life for a brief moment and share their beliefs. It also made me think of this young generation being much deeper than the media portrays. My own college son and these young men I spoke to are deep thinkers, confident, and searching for the meaning of life.

Have a great day friends! Spring is here and I'm going to help the economy by going shopping. I'm just relieved I feel ok.
    I'm so proud of you who abstained or moderated.
  • salleewins
    Options
    Okay off to find some Indian spices for an Indian Dish I want to try that sounds healthy and to see if I can go taste the chocolate black tea at the local shop. I will enjoy the organic Granny Smith apple I purchased sometime today instead of alcohol. It is a chilly day and windy. Later we are supposed to have ice pellets through all the way until tomorrow morning. Stuff that makes me anxious like my daughter driving in that weather tonite and tomorrow a lot, will tempt me to drink. Getting my bases covered and with prayer. I can't control the weather, just try the best to do my best.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @JenT304 - Yay, you! I love this: "I am choosing the awkwardness of saying no thanks to booze tonight over not having a hangover in the morning." You really do have to stop giving a *kitten* about what other people think of you and your choices. You are doing great and you inspire me! We're going out tonight so need to get that attitude going. We're going out to that crazy art walk where a few weeks ago I bought the gigantic wine glass that when they filled it up ended up being equal to something like 20 oz. Won't make that mistake again, LOL.

I remember hearing about your gigantic wine glass. Enjoy your day!
  • salleewins
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 hope all is well today and keep on truckin' no matter what! xo
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Another dry Friday night and feeling good about it. I even made vodka sauce for dinner and wasn't even tempted to drink any. I squeezed some fresh grapefruit juice and added it to seltzer. It really hit the spot. Hubby continues to be supportive. He only had one beer after finishing his run. He is not really a runner, but is doing a relay leg of the Flying Pig marathon so he has been training. I can't blame him for wanting a nice cold beer after a training run.

This morning I had my last long 21 mile run before my marathon on May 6. Hubby went to visit his parents for the night, so I am going to hang with the dog and be lazy. Not feeling any desire to drink. Looking forward to a hot bath and a pot of tea though. Life is good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's news regarding the new recommendations for alcohol, and the discussion about alcohol and lifespan have me considering a new goal going forward PAST losing the meno-ten. On average, I strive to have 7 or fewer drinks per week. I say "on average" because there will be holidays, business trips etc.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4142393/excessive-drinking-shorten-lifespan-study/
  • kittybenn
    Options
    Such a great report, @JulieAL1969, and so glad you made it through the night with moderation. Old habits truly die hard. We all think alcohol's going to do SOMETHING for us, but, at least for me, it's pretty unclear what that something is anymore. I had my one, 6-oz glass of wine last night, and . . . nothing. Just nothing. It tasted fine, and I kind of enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I'm not drinking enough anymore to put myself in some kind of altered state, for lack of a better word. Still, I haven't given it up completely yet, and don't know why. I feel myself inching that direction. I think one of the problems with my plan is that I plan to drink Fri-Sun and plan to drink no more than 6 glasses of wine. So I do, for no particular reason. I'm thinking I may just get on your plan and drink when there's an occasion and not otherwise.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    @lporter229 - Wow, that grapefruit and seltzer sounds so delicious. And congrats to you on a perfect Friday night. I'm headed out shortly to buy some grapefruits! I love eating them anyway, so perfect. Great idea.
  • kittybenn
    Options
    Oh, and @JenT304, when I said "you" really need to stop giving a *kitten* about what other people think, I for sure did not mean you, in particular. Sorry for any misunderstanding. What I mean was "one," as in "everybody," as in me, LOL!