Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Had a busy weekend. Getting packed for my month at my daughter's! My SIL is going on his annual tour of duty and I go up to babysit since my daughter works 3rd shift. Hubby will come up for the last week, then we drive home.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    Polo265 wrote: »
    Just checking in. Today is my 100th day alcohol free. I still haven't gotten control of my food situation. Where I used alcohol to help me sleep, I now eat sugar and carbs before bed. It isn't as though I'm even hungry. Last night I even got up after midnight to eat. So, now, I really have to buckle down and get a grip. Congratulations to everyone for all those awesome alcohol free days.

You're not alone... I do the exact same thing since I stopped drinking. I'm not hungry either; it's almost as if I just have to do something to keep my hands and mouth busy :/

And yeah, well done again everyone

Awesome job kicking alcohol! One thing at a time. Now, you can work on your sugar cravings. I saw a cute quote recently, "Everything in moderation including moderation. "

Thing is... I've given up added sugar as well :D BUT, in the few months after I first stopped drinking alcohol I drank so much sugar-filled drinks it wasn't funny (like 500-750g of sugar a day from them alone). I think I was substituting sugar for alcohol hehe. Now I'm going through a phase of wanting to constantly snack after dinner but it's not too bad because it helps me get close to my 1790 kcal daily goal; surprisingly I struggle to reach it most days but things are getting better now. At least my snacks now have some nutritional value rather than being just empty calories.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @islandbeez Thanks for the info. I started the Annie Grace alcohol experiment this morning. I just needed that extra boost.
    Happy Monday, Everyone! I hope you meet your personal goals this week.
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Well I went 24 days without before stress got to me. I drank 2 times last week. Neither were in moderation. Starting over and I'm on day 3 of being AF.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ugh I am back in. I seem unable to moderate. I hope to give up alcohol until the end of June.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    Ugh I am back in. I seem unable to moderate. I hope to give up alcohol until the end of June.

Don't worry. You're not alone. Many have problem moderating. In a way, it's just easier to cut out alcohol till the special occasion. Otherwise, it's more agonizing to set limits that are hard to reach.
    For motivation, highly recommend Stop Drinking Expert on your tube. Straight talk. No nonsense. Just may be what you need to abstain til June. Xo
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Well, today is 3 weeks AF. It has mostly been easy, but Saturday was hard. I was working at my second job as a server, and one of my friends stopped in to drop off a late birthday gift. It was a very nice bottle of merlot. The rest of the night, I debated whether to drink the bottle after work, as I would have normally done in the past. I seriously could not decide for a few hours. The fact that it consumed my thoughts so much and caused me anxiety was eye-opening to me. Thinking about this thread helped. I imagined what my update post would be today if I drank the wine versus if I abstained. So thank you all for your support!

I have a really busy week with 3 social events coming up that I would normally drink at. We have our vacation in about 3 weeks, so saving money is big right now. I'm hoping that will add an extra incentive not to drink.

That's exactly how I feel - the fact that I have to think so much about it and have some internal debates about whether or not I should drink something, even in moderation - is eye opening for me as well.

Still practicing the mindful moderation but definitely know that it is a slippery slope to mindless moderation and then quickly mindless excess. I was teetering between both of those pretty regularly toward the end of last year, and I feel good about the fact that I do think about every drink I take, every social event where alcohol will be prevalent, and I have mostly adhered to those plans ever since finding this thread earlier this year.

Again, I know I talk a lot about the similarities I see between the successes I've found in losing weight and maintaining that loss - and what I'm trying to do with alcohol intake as well. In the maintaining forums, there are often threads like "Do you think you'll continue to log forever?" and I always say YES! It doesn't feel cumbersome or burdensome to me, and it has brought me such success with being aware of my food intake, my calorie expenditure, and the impact that has on my overall weight management. So I think I just need to get in the same mindset for alcohol too - if I want to be able to continue to imbibe in a safe and healthy way - then I need to focus and practice this mindful moderation forever. Always have a plan, always think about which days and how much I want to drink. No sliding into habitual every day consumption where the AF days are the rare exception.

Just think, now you have that nice bottle of Merlot to share with a couple of friends on a special occasion - rather than drinking the whole bottle by yourself! And happy belated birthday!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969, thanks for your encouragement. Like others, moderating just doesn't work well for me. @rachelcalsbeek, I'm with you on the thought-consumption aspect. That's my main motivator to abstain. I just don't like thinking about it the whole darn time (planning, portioning, deciding). It really is easier just to not drink. On the other hand, in the moment it feels much easier just to drink and forget it.

@kittybenn, my mom recently returned from a cruise and showed me the fancy-schmancy printed schedule they got each morning. At the top was always "Friends of Bill W." My mom did not realize that was code for AA meetings. She thought Bill W. must be quite the party guy. Anyway, it was interesting to me to see that there is support for non-drinkers. I can imagine how hard the cruise atmosphere is for those really struggling with abstaining.

I had an aperol spritz each day this weekend. I fell in love with them in Italy, but don't need to be drinking them at home. I'm planning to be AF through next weekend. That's all I'm planning at the moment. But at least there will be no decision-making required until next Monday.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @rachelcalsbeek - boy that is tough, and I totally get it. That bottle of merlot would be all I would think about, I'm afraid. We're going on vacation in three weeks and, like you, we need to watch expenses now, so that's kind of incentive for me to do two things: be AF til then and save money! Best of luck to you!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @donimfp - OMG, that is hilarious about your mom thinking Bill W. is the biggest partier on the cruise. Just hilarious. But, yes, drinks are pushed big time on cruises, so gotta be tough for those who are trying to be AF.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @Leeg5656 What a great weekend you had! I agree with you that I am past the sweet tasting drinks too. I would rather have none than a punch drink. Thanks for your motivating thought : Never let a bump in the road determine your destination. Beautiful!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @sdogg626 Sounds like a great weekend! How funny that you and your BF didnt drink at the party but for different reasons- all good reasons. You got a ton of steps! That's over 7 miles of effort. And then you really enjoyed the wine in peace and quiet. Such a perfect win-win situation. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969, thanks for your encouragement. Like others, moderating just doesn't work well for me. @rachelcalsbeek, I'm with you on the thought-consumption aspect. That's my main motivator to abstain. I just don't like thinking about it the whole darn time (planning, portioning, deciding). It really is easier just to not drink. On the other hand, in the moment it feels much easier just to drink and forget it.

@kittybenn, my mom recently returned from a cruise and showed me the fancy-schmancy printed schedule they got each morning. At the top was always "Friends of Bill W." My mom did not realize that was code for AA meetings. She thought Bill W. must be quite the party guy. Anyway, it was interesting to me to see that there is support for non-drinkers. I can imagine how hard the cruise atmosphere is for those really struggling with abstaining.

I had an aperol spritz each day this weekend. I fell in love with them in Italy, but don't need to be drinking them at home. I'm planning to be AF through next weekend. That's all I'm planning at the moment. But at least there will be no decision-making required until next Monday.

I am impressed with the cruise line who recognizes that some people do not want to drink. Wow! I am amazed with their code "Friends of Bill W.".

Yes it's easier to not drink and even easier to drink. Moderating is the tough thing. LOL I am struggling with that at this moment. I'll try the six minute rule.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969, it’s my understanding that most cruises have Friends of Bill W. meetings available. My best friend who goes to AA has found them in a couple of cruises. That’s why I knew what the listings on my mom’s schedules meant. It’s good to know that resource is there.