Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    @sdogg626 Love hearing your thoughts. My mom is like yours. I never seen her overdo it. And she sips one glass of wine and makes it last all dinner. Although my Dad didn't drink when i was little, my parents tried to set a good example for us. Mom and Dad even distanced themselves from their hard drinking relatives, but for some reason, I still saw lots of drinking at weddings and parties. I imagine there is a genetic predisposition that some of my female relatives who don't drink have overcome. Good luck on your weekend workout plans! So, nice to wake up with no headache! xo
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @JulieAL1969 - thanks for sharing that reflection. So deep on so many levels. Really made me think. The situation with your husband has got to be tough. My husband is a beer drinker, and drinks every day - maybe two. He usually drinks in the early afternoon, esp when he's working outside in the yard, on our boat - whatever. He's typically done by dinner at 6. That's when I always started before I quit in January and moderated after that. So, it's not in my face, which would be hard for sure. I am desperately in need of hobbies myself, so let me know if you figure out any! I've been playing a little Words with Friends on my iPad, but it doesn't thrill me. I'm just not a big game person.

I'm seriously thinking of not drinking this weekend, although it's my "regular" time to drink wine. I'm leaning toward the Julie method of waiting for a special occasion. We're going on a cruise in mid May so pondering being AF til then. We'll see how this weekend goes.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @WinoGelato I can't drink unstructured but I recognize that debate. I was having it about this weekend but my wife settled it. We have a nice day planned and it will end with drinks outside. It is my allowance day so the drinking brain kicks in pretty early with all the excuses if I consider skipping. This time it was unnecessary. She doesn't drink very often and she never overdoes it. I am glad because I am not sure how strong I would be in @JulieAL1969 's and @sdogg626 's situation.

Was it just shear force of will that helps you moderate when you drink? I haven't mastered that part yet. Last time I told myself I was cutting back and was shocked to see that by rote I drank the same amount. The drinking brain and the OCD brain conspired against me and the OCD part is a sneaky devil.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @WinoGelato I can't drink unstructured but I recognize that debate. I was having it about this weekend but my wife settled it. We have a nice day planned and it will end with drinks outside. It is my allowance day so the drinking brain kicks in pretty early with all the excuses if I consider skipping. This time it was unnecessary. She doesn't drink very often and she never overdoes it. I am glad because I am not sure how strong I would be in @JulieAL1969 's and @sdogg626 's situation.

Was it just shear force of will that helps you moderate when you drink? I haven't mastered that part yet. Last time I told myself I was cutting back and was shocked to see that by rote I drank the same amount. The drinking brain and the OCD brain conspired against me and the OCD part is a sneaky devil.

I don’t know what helps me moderate, to be honest. Maybe a bit of my Type A personality. It’s kind of like with my weight loss and maintenance. Once I understood how many calories I burn and have a calorie target and a plan, I’m pretty easily able to stick with the plan and the target. Not that I never indulge or go over my cals, but I always know what the impact will be and offset it either before (banking cals for a special occasion) or after (cutting back for a couple days after I overdo it). Once I decided I was going to specifically try to cut back my alcohol intake, not have those hazy nights, bad mornings, and feelings of regret - I just did it. I look at the week ahead for alcohol intake just like planning my meals. I know when I would ha ea happy hour, or a girls night, or a planned nice dinner that I would want wine with. Just like I have an upper limit for calories because I know my TDEE, I now have an upper limit in mind for my alcohol intake too.

That’s all I can come up with. Wish it was more insightful.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Wow I am aspiring to be able to say 100 days AF, now that I hear that here! It is 78 I think now. It has been hard especially this time of year for me. Today I wanted to drink and forget the pain in the neck troubles of today. I was able to talk myself down. Thank God it worked. Also sugar rescued me once again. Alcohol was and is the bigger trouble Rather err on the sugar side. Now onto a better calorie limit tomorrow.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,482 Member
    I know it was already addressed in here somewhere over the past few months but could someone explain what Annie Graces' 30 day challenge is? Do you pay for it? Is it something available on line? Thank you - Jen
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Polo265 wrote: »
    Just checking in. Today is my 100th day alcohol free. I still haven't gotten control of my food situation. Where I used alcohol to help me sleep, I now eat sugar and carbs before bed. It isn't as though I'm even hungry. Last night I even got up after midnight to eat. So, now, I really have to buckle down and get a grip. Congratulations to everyone for all those awesome alcohol free days.

You're not alone... I do the exact same thing since I stopped drinking. I'm not hungry either; it's almost as if I just have to do something to keep my hands and mouth busy :/

And yeah, well done again everyone
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I know it was already addressed in here somewhere over the past few months but could someone explain what Annie Graces' 30 day challenge is? Do you pay for it? Is it something available on line? Thank you - Jen

https://www.alcoholexperiment.com/

Here should be a link, @JenT304 It is free to do the 30 day experiment and I highly recommend it. Each day there is new video by Annie and then a private journaling section to put down your thoughts on the day's topic. It was very helpful to me. I was nearly through This Naked Mind, but making the application of each lesson to myself and my life made this whole process so much more peaceful.
  • kittybenn
    @Polo265 - I SO agree with this planning idea. I try to visualize myself in the situation and plan exactly what I'll do and specifically which AF drink I'd ask for after I have my allotted one or two glasses of wine.
  • kittybenn
    @SanDiegofitmom - we continue to lead parallel lives. I was on the waiting list at the library for the Mark Hyman book and just picked it up yesterday. I've done his 10-day detox, and it was rough. It really helped with the sugar demons though, so I may give it another shot. He's no great fan of alcohol, but says the key is moderation, which means one glass of wine or 1 ounce of hard liquor per day max.