Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    I really like what @donimfp said, "don't judge your inside against someone else's outside'. We are all on different journeys. All the people on the inside of this thread and all the people on the outside of this thread. :)

This reminds me of a Maya Angelou tape I listened to once. She said everyone should be allowed to find 'God' in their own time. Not our time. We cannot make them find 'God' or find Him for them. They have their own lessons to learn. I always remember this every time I see someone doing something that I know will hurt them. It's not like I don't worry or don't want to help. Remembering that helps me to not judge where they are in their journey, but to just be there for them when they are ready to make changes. I think you can replace "God" with anything that you deem as a higher plane of existence.

Happy Friday!

<3
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969, sending you hugs. Thanks for your honesty. Someone warned me about judging my “inside” in relation to someone else’s outside. The horrible times you’ve described in your own past drinking days (your description, not mine): I’d bet you appeared to be a happy party girl then (to outsiders) but you knew different.

I’ve just reread Naked Mind. AG speaks quite a bit about our FOMO and how it’s not based in reality of what we’re actually “missing”.

Hang in there!

Very wise you are. I probably was the happy party girl disguising a horrible hangover. Great point!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    In Ft. Worth with a sad family situation. It’s been a sad day for me all around. But cuddling with a granddaughter is a great cure-all.
    Sorry to hear about the family situation. Enjoy the snuggles.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    In Ft. Worth with a sad family situation. It’s been a sad day for me all around. But cuddling with a granddaughter is a great cure-all.

Sending you love. Xo
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Looking at my April tally of days with alcohol and days without, as well as the total number of drinks - it is MUCH higher than I wanted and MUCH higher than Jan/Feb were. I think I knew this was coming as the warmer weather started and there were more social outings. I hope I'm not just fooling myself when I look at the totals and try to find positives in the numbers like the ones I listed above. I feel so much more in control than I was, but I'm cognizant that I could do a lot better with really cutting back, for health and to avoid that slippery slope.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I wouldn’t say you are fooling yourself with the numbers. I know a lot of us feel we could do better, but also like you said, feel so much more in control than we were. I guess there is always room for improvement with most things in life. And at least we have this awesome group to come to and be honest.

I also know how you feel with the warmer weather situation. There are more events to go to, more places opening up. And I want to enjoy those places - as long as I don’t get back to my ways like last winter. Personally I think I will reevaluate my goals for the summer. I will probably realistically allow myself a second night of moderate drinking on some weeks. And if I see a problem and my weight loss comes to a yield I will have to reevaluate once again.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear. Sending hugs