Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• wigi41
    wigi41 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    JulieAL1969 - this is for you! (and anyone else who is interested - warning, it is kind of graphic, if factual): http://your-daily-verse.com/index.php/2018/04/19/the-truth-about-booze/
    I got a lot of this info from Annie Grace's book, as well as from Allan Carr, and William Porter's "Alcohol Explained".
  • formissy
    formissy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand you. I'm always trying to be good and something always comes up alcohol related. Then o say I'll go AF tomorrow.
    For me trying to lose LOTS of weight and alcohol dont mix. Excuses are easy!!
    Enjoy your wine day !!! It was planned!!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    A little off topic but I think I need to start a Less Caffeine One Day At A Time gameplan. I notice that if I don’t have any by mid morning I get a terrible splitting headache that advil won’t even help. I actually just made a cup of coffee to kill the headache and I didn’t even want coffee. That is not the way to handle that
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @erikNJ You're in a tough spot. Your job does involve alcohol. That has got to be hard to abstain when it's there in your face , always. But you're making great strides; you're more aware and cognizant of what you want for your own personal health. Stick to your goals. You're amazing!

Thanks Julie! Not only for those kind words, but everything over the past four months!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Rayanne203 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

This isn’t my first weight loss journey, I’ve been up and down with my weight since 2010. I have 50lbs I’d like to lose.

Alcohol is everywhere! And so Ingrained socially in everything I do. I am making a huge effort to cut it out or at least minimize consumption to once a week. I know if I cut booze I’d lose weight much faster and feel more energized. The last two weeks I’ve done really well! One day at time...

My daughter passed away in August after a two year cancer battle. During her battle I spiralled. I ate whatever, and drank whatever. When you spend weeks in a hospital room with your child, food becomes comfort. When you are discharged home, a drink was my reward. Now that she is gone, alcohol increases my depression and contributes to weight gain. I know cutting booze is the ticket to better health mentally and physically

When I don’t drink I feel less foggy and more ready to work out!

Good luck to you all!

Welcome, and I am so, so sorry for your loss. I can’t fathom losing a child. This group will be a great support system as many have experienced life challenges that we’ve used alcohol to help numb us to.

Great goals!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    YES, Alcohol lies!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Before waking up, I dreamed about having a glass of wine, and thinking it tasted too good -- despite not being a wine I'd normally consider wanting to drink. My take away is that at some level, I miss the alcohol, but it is the first time, as much as I can remember, that I've dreamed of wine in 4 months AF. So far, then, I've been lucky, and it hasn't been too much of a fight. Knowing the first few sips of that "just one" glass would probably taste rather bad .... and then likely before finishing that glass, all the reward centres in my brain would light up ... this is what our stop drinking expert, Craig Beck says.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    Rayanne203 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

This isn’t my first weight loss journey, I’ve been up and down with my weight since 2010. I have 50lbs I’d like to lose.

Alcohol is everywhere! And so Ingrained socially in everything I do. I am making a huge effort to cut it out or at least minimize consumption to once a week. I know if I cut booze I’d lose weight much faster and feel more energized. The last two weeks I’ve done really well! One day at time...

My daughter passed away in August after a two year cancer battle. During her battle I spiralled. I ate whatever, and drank whatever. When you spend weeks in a hospital room with your child, food becomes comfort. When you are discharged home, a drink was my reward. Now that she is gone, alcohol increases my depression and contributes to weight gain. I know cutting booze is the ticket to better health mentally and physically

When I don’t drink I feel less foggy and more ready to work out!

Good luck to you all!

Oh I am so sorry. My deepest sympathies to you. We are here for you. Xo
  • Annalee82_
    Annalee82_ Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    A little off topic but I think I need to start a Less Caffeine One Day At A Time gameplan. I notice that if I don’t have any by mid morning I get a terrible splitting headache that advil won’t even help. I actually just made a cup of coffee to kill the headache and I didn’t even want coffee. That is not the way to handle that

I agree with this. I quit drinking alcohol years ago, but the amount of coffee I drink is ridiculous.

Good luck to everyone that's trying to cut back on their drinking.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    formissy wrote: »
    I understand you. I'm always trying to be good and something always comes up alcohol related. Then o say I'll go AF tomorrow.
    For me trying to lose LOTS of weight and alcohol dont mix. Excuses are easy!!
    Enjoy your wine day !!! It was planned!!

So true. There's always an event, and then I'll say, I'll start after that party or whatever it is. In January, I survived a death in the family and a wild girls weekend Alcohol free. It's very empowering. Hang in there. You're already making progress, I'm sure.
    A video I saw says, the body throws its energy to digest the alcohol first and then works on the the food later. That's why we have the belly fat, etc.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Annalee82_ wrote: »

I agree with this. I quit drinking alcohol years ago, but the amount of coffee I drink is ridiculous.

Good luck to everyone that's trying to cut back on their drinking.

I am also drinking way more coffee than I used to. @erikNJ You both are right. I need to make a hard rule for myself. And do it.

Happy to hear you quit drinking years ago! Bravo! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    wigi41 wrote: »
    JulieAL1969 - this is for you! (and anyone else who is interested - warning, it is kind of graphic, if factual): http://your-daily-verse.com/index.php/2018/04/19/the-truth-about-booze/
    I got a lot of this info from Annie Grace's book, as well as from Allan Carr, and William Porter's "Alcohol Explained".

You are amazing in so many ways! This is truly art. It's eye opening, raw and real. Hits to the core but that's a good thing. Just Beautiful! You are so talented - Xo
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

My husband switched to half n half (caffeine/decaf). He really likes it.
  • salleewins
    Options
    @Rayanne203 I am very sorry about your daughter. My son passed, too, and it is hard. We are here for you!
  • salleewins
    Options
    Thank you kittybenn. I am sorry about your Mom. Mine died at 52 as well. It was about a year and a 1/2 before her mother. That is so young.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys