April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Kevin (MobyCarp) crossed the 5K point at 24:25; 7:52/min mile pace!

I wish I could run a 5k in under 25 minutes.....let alone at the beginning of a Marathon!!!!

(he's sped up.....should we tell him to slow down a bit? I recall he was after around 7.47 minute miles or something)

Let's all just give him a quick call and let him know he's pacing a little fast and to keep that *kitten* in check. :D

I'm ASTOUNDED at how quickly that pace is. I can't even fathom keeping that up for more than a mile at best. My best 5k clocked in JUST under 30 minutes.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Linden is leading the BM for women at the moment. AND she stopped for a potty break earlier. That's my kind of gal.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    GO DES!!!
    And @MobyCarp of course!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom she also slowed down to wait for Shalane when she made a pit stop. It looks like she has a good lead now and will be the first American to win since 1985!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm not crying!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Kevin (MobyCarp) crossed the 5K point at 24:25; 7:52/min mile pace!

I wish I could run a 5k in under 25 minutes.....let alone at the beginning of a Marathon!!!!

(he's sped up.....should we tell him to slow down a bit? I recall he was after around 7.47 minute miles or something)

Let's all just give him a quick call and let him know he's pacing a little fast and to keep that *kitten* in check. :D

I'm ASTOUNDED at how quickly that pace is. I can't even fathom keeping that up for more than a mile at best. My best 5k clocked in JUST under 30 minutes.

It's all downhill at the start, so he might be trying to bank a little time. Everyone I am tracking from my running club looks like they are starting to slow considerably around the 25K mark. Could be due to the wind.
  • shanaber
    Options
    The guy from Japan (Kawauichi) who won the men's, runs a marathon pretty much once a month they said on the news coverage. Wow! Also the Canadian woman (Krista Duchene) who came in 3rd is 41! I am SO impressed by all of these runners!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I can find his bib and name, but nothing shows on the tracking map except the route (tried in 3 browsers).... :/
  • shanaber
    Options
    @HonuNui on the tracking page I am on you have to click on the runner's name and then it brings up the splits. @mobycarp has slowed his pace just a bit to 8:24 at the 20K mark.

They were showing the rain and wind on the news and it looks brutal from beginning to end...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom fantastic! Your race report made me cry.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Last 20-miler before marathon is DONE. It didn't go so great, lots of walking especially in the middle.

So you have no taper before the 20. It is MUCH harder than the race when you will taper first. This is why they tell you not to worry so much about pace in the distance runs - because you are starting them out at a deficit. When you start your marathon you will be fresh. It makes a big difference.

Also I am dealing with my wife who is facing the same discouragement before the race. It is normal as you get closer. :)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I'm not crying!

Yeah, me either!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So 3:26:10 is really good, right? What was he aiming for, cause that seems really quite fast! Amazing race, wow!

Edit cause I just figured out how to read these things - I'm looking at predicted times for the rest of the race.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    The US women showed up!!!

Yes, 4 of the top 5 women are from the USA. And the other is from Canada... that's basically a suburb of the USA. :p

*No offense intended towards Canadians. It was a joke.

LOL... At least we seem to be at first glance right? The culture shock my husband went through when he moved here from WA almost 13 years ago is probably equivalent to the culture shock of moving from WA to TX.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Woohoo congrats @MobyCarp!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So 3:26:10 is really good, right? What was he aiming for, cause that seems really quite fast! Amazing race, wow! Congrats MobyCarp!

He is running my best-targeted HALF MARATHON PACE for his FULL MARATHON. So yeah. IMO, he is kicking serious course butt.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The US women showed up!!!

Yes, 4 of the top 5 women are from the USA. And the other is from Canada... that's basically a suburb of the USA. :p

*No offense intended towards Canadians. It was a joke.

LOL... At least we seem to be at first glance right? The culture shock my husband went through when he moved here from WA almost 13 years ago is probably equivalent to the culture shock of moving from WA to TX.

Suburbs are always nicer, though...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone here who can see the video? I'm not allowed to view it because of where I live.