4/15 – 2.14 shakedown run
    4/16 – 26.45 Boston Marathon with bad tangents
    4/17 – travel day
    4/18 – rest day
    4/19 – 2.39 recovery run
    4/20 – 5.01 easy

April running total to date – 97.91

Nominal April mileage goal: 130 miles

Real goals: Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Get to Boyleston Street under my own power. Recover well.

Today's notes – In stark contrast to Monday, today it was 46º F (8º C) with sunshine and minimal wind when I got out to run. Wore shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt. Forgot to wear gloves, and it didn't matter.

Ran a twisty route around my neighborhood, keeping it easy but running some small hills to test the various body parts that worked hard in Newton. There was some gentle muttering from the left vastus lateralis (last injury I recovered from) and the right tensor fascia lata (banged up after Boston 2016), but neither felt injured afterward when I did stretches that hit those areas. Stopped at 5 miles because I'd decided in advance to put a hard distance cap of 5 miles on the run; if things hadn't felt so good, I would have been okay with 4 miles or even a long 3.

I feel better now than I did after Boston 2017, which was my previous best marathon recovery period. I've committed to travel to Dedham for the 10K a week from Sunday. I expect to be able to run it faster than easy, though I don't yet know whether I'll be able to push for a competitive time.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA)

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I would just order the new strap. If you find the old one you can always just have a spare and alternate between them.
    Doing weights is great - other than being sore for a day or two afterwards I love it, love how it makes me feel and love being strong. It catches people off guard and I love the look on their faces when I lift something heavy - at the gym or at a store :) I do recommend working with a trainer at least initially - for the incentive and to make sure you are getting the form down correctly. You need to be patient with it and go at it slowly (just like getting back to running). It takes time to build up the strength and start seeing results. @ddmom0811 - worked with a trainer for a while I think and now she trains herself. She may have some recommendations on the programs she uses and what she liked or didn't.

Elise, I will send you the training plan I am using now. I just don't know what I'm doing when it ends in 2 weeks!
    @ddmom0811 - can you send it to me too please :) I'm always looking for workouts I can do at home or when traveling.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I would just order the new strap. If you find the old one you can always just have a spare and alternate between them.
    Doing weights is great - other than being sore for a day or two afterwards I love it, love how it makes me feel and love being strong. It catches people off guard and I love the look on their faces when I lift something heavy - at the gym or at a store :) I do recommend working with a trainer at least initially - for the incentive and to make sure you are getting the form down correctly. You need to be patient with it and go at it slowly (just like getting back to running). It takes time to build up the strength and start seeing results. @ddmom0811 - worked with a trainer for a while I think and now she trains herself. She may have some recommendations on the programs she uses and what she liked or didn't.

Elise, I will send you the training plan I am using now. I just don't know what I'm doing when it ends in 2 weeks!
    @ddmom0811 - can you send it to me too please :) I'm always looking for workouts I can do at home or when traveling.

Me three??
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    4.3km today. Finally some nice weather! Above freezing and no snow or rain. We did get that big dump of snow I mentioned last time.... At this rate there will be snow on the ground until May!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    7---30 min stationary bike
    8---30 min stationary bike
    10---1.76 walk
    13---2.07 walk
    14---6.45 walk
    15---3.50 walk
    16---2.89 walk
    18--- 3 mile walk/run pace 14:57
    20---2.25 mile walk 1 min, run 1 min X15 pace 13:48
    Improvement already :wink:
    21.92 miles.

I still can't find my chest strap. I have to conclude it's lost. Last time I saw it was in my back seat, floor board... I can't help but think it's possible DH pulled his bag out and possibly drug it out and it got lost. *shrugs*. I don't lose stuff. So I'm having a hard time accepting this.

But, I decided to order the tri hrm (rather than replacing the premium one). I really want to some day do triathalons. Sooo... I can use it swimming too. I phoned a few stores in San Antonio, none had one. So I'll just order one from Garmin and have it when I get back. Yay stuff!

And DH ordered a training journal *gasp*. "For a half, or a marathon" he has asthma.... That'll be hard.

ETA ordered it from Amazon 25$ cheaper and it'll be here Sunday! DH said wait to order it, he'll look for it... Aww shucks too late. I ordered it :smiley:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    4/1 - rest

Just short. My new shoes were gloriously muddy at one point but I must have washed them off in a puddle because by the time I got home they were much cleaner.

Okay, you made me take a picture. I wore white shoes at Boston. They had some minor spots of mud on them already from trails, even though I knocked off as much as I could before I packed them. Walked through squishy mud in Athletes' Village to get to the start line, couldn't be helped. Ran the race in the rain, didn't worry about puddles. Shoes were still soaked when I put them in a plastic back to pack and come home Tuesday morning. Put them in front of a fan and left them overnight; Wednesday morning they were dry. Then I noticed this:

2zjvrk85koj9.jpg

The shoes actually came home cleaner than when I left.

The entire race was on paved surfaces, mostly asphalt; and if you saw the TV coverage you might have noticed that there was a little bit of rain.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

4/1: 2.5 miles
    4/2: 3.1 miles
    4/3: ST, walk 1 mile
    4/6: ST, 3 miles
    4/7: 3.5 miles
    4/8: 6 miles
    4/9: ST, walk 1 mile
    4/10: 3 miles
    4/12: 3 miles
    4/13: ST, walk .5 mile
    4/14: 3.5 miles
    4/15: 3 miles
    4/19: 3 miles
    4/20: ST, 1 mile

Total Running for April: 34.6/60

Upcoming Races:
    Phoenix Rising 5k 4/21
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

Strength training today, followed by a mile run on the treadmill. Tomorrow, I have a 5k, and I’ll likely try to add a mile or two after to catch up from earlier in the week.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless OMG! That marathon sounds awesome. I'll start saving and training (although I'm sure I won't care if i take the DNF), if you do!

@marisap2010 Good luck tomorrow!

@sarahthes love the shoes! You too @MobyCarp!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I met someone traveling for work who has done that race. In costume.

@MobyCarp Yes, just a little rain... no wonder your shoes came home cleaner than they left!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If I am too beat down after the Marathon I will simply take a DNS at the ultra and find a new plan to run one.

I needed to hear that.

I was quite worried you were planning on going ahead with your first 50k a week after a marathon PB attempt, and it made me anxious expressing my concerns to you.

Good man.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    April Goals

Aiming for 200 kms run.
    And some cartwheels again

03 Apr – 10.1 km
    04 Apr – 10.1 km
    06 Apr – 35.2 km
    08 Apr – 05.1 km
    09 Apr – 10.1 km
    10 Apr – 05.1 km
    12 Apr – 05.6 km
    15 Apr – 21.2 km
    17 Apr – 06.8 km
    18 Apr – 09 km
    20 Apr – 25.1 km
    21 Apr – 05.1 km easy parkrun

Total: 148.5 km
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7---30 min stationary bike
    8---30 min stationary bike
    10---1.76 walk
    13---2.07 walk
    14---6.45 walk
    15---3.50 walk
    16---2.89 walk
    18--- 3 mile walk/run pace 14:57
    20---2.25 mile walk 1 min, run 1 min X15 pace 13:48
    Improvement already :wink:
    21.92 miles.

I still can't find my chest strap. I have to conclude it's lost. Last time I saw it was in my back seat, floor board... I can't help but think it's possible DH pulled his bag out and possibly drug it out and it got lost. *shrugs*. I don't lose stuff. So I'm having a hard time accepting this.

But, I decided to order the tri hrm (rather than replacing the premium one). I really want to some day do triathalons. Sooo... I can use it swimming too. I phoned a few stores in San Antonio, none had one. So I'll just order one from Garmin and have it when I get back. Yay stuff!

And DH ordered a training journal *gasp*. "For a half, or a marathon" he has asthma.... That'll be hard.

ETA ordered it from Amazon 25$ cheaper and it'll be here Sunday! DH said wait to order it, he'll look for it... Aww shucks too late. I ordered it :smiley:

I have exercise induced asthma and have ran several halfs and trained for two fulls, starting a third training to finally run a full. It's possible.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Aaapril....run she will

4/1 11 hrs work/dinner with friends
    4/2 4.29
    4/3 moped
    4/4 4.07
    4/5 3.12
    4/6 3.03
    4/7 4.17
    4/8 2.23
    4/9 rest
    4/10 I did
    4/11 something
    4/12 really bad to
    4/13 my back
    4/14 3.22
    4/15 3.20
    4/15 4.14
    4/16 life
    4/17 3.25
    4/18 life again
    4/19 3.29

Total 38.01

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I got new shoes!
    Snazzy lookin shoes! Gratz :)

How have I never heard about this race?!? A "full marathon with 23 wine stops also offering specialties such as oysters, steak, and ice-cream"?!? Holy Moly! SIGN ME UP!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2014/sep/17/marathon-du-medoc-race-wine-oysters
    Very French. Sounds amazing.