April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Last time I did weights, thought I start that 5x5 strong lifts program. I couldn't walk for a week. So sore. Couldn't even go run I was so sore. It'll take me some time to work up to 2 days a week. Unless I get smart and cut the weight back (or suck it up).

Currently doing the Stronglifts program because it has an app and I'm too lazy to do math. The initial suggested weights were wayyyyyyy too heavy, took about half off the "beginner" number and slowly working up to it.

I think the key is to find a weight that feels easy, and work up from there. The weights go up each workout (2.5kg for squats and deadlifts, 1kg for presses), so it doesn't matter if you start low, you'll be lifting heaving in no time. In fact, I think it's better to start low so you will plateau later. And we won't be getting any big muscles anyway because of all the running we're doing.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless OMG! That marathon sounds awesome. I'll start saving and training (although I'm sure I won't care if i take the DNF), if you do!

@Elise4270 Haha. I am sure after a few dozen wine/ food stations, laying down and taking a DNF (maybe next to the ice cream station?) sounds like a great idea.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7---30 min stationary bike
    8---30 min stationary bike
    10---1.76 walk
    13---2.07 walk
    14---6.45 walk
    15---3.50 walk
    16---2.89 walk
    18--- 3 mile walk/run pace 14:57
    20---2.25 mile walk 1 min, run 1 min X15 pace 13:48
    Improvement already :wink:
    21.92 miles.

I still can't find my chest strap. I have to conclude it's lost. Last time I saw it was in my back seat, floor board... I can't help but think it's possible DH pulled his bag out and possibly drug it out and it got lost. *shrugs*. I don't lose stuff. So I'm having a hard time accepting this.

But, I decided to order the tri hrm (rather than replacing the premium one). I really want to some day do triathalons. Sooo... I can use it swimming too. I phoned a few stores in San Antonio, none had one. So I'll just order one from Garmin and have it when I get back. Yay stuff!

And DH ordered a training journal *gasp*. "For a half, or a marathon" he has asthma.... That'll be hard.

ETA ordered it from Amazon 25$ cheaper and it'll be here Sunday! DH said wait to order it, he'll look for it... Aww shucks too late. I ordered it :smiley:

I have exercise induced asthma and have ran several halfs and trained for two fulls, starting a third training to finally run a full. It's possible.
    His is exercise induced and seasonal. I'd like for him to do an elimination diet, see if any foods are triggers. He's not been motivated yet to try.

He's run 4 halves. It seem the older he gets the worse his asthma is. He has 80-85% lung function (spirometry test). I think he can do it if he stays on his meds and I can get him to quit pushing to be the fastest.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @amymoreorless I met someone traveling for work who has done that race. In costume.

In costume so the race photos don't reveal your true identity as you're barfing masticated oysters through your nasal passages, begging for everyone to let you die right there in the vineyard, as someone hands you another glass of Bordeaux that you take while saying between sips "I usually handle my wine better, okay I'm good now, let's do this". "Run" to the next wine stop have some steak, think you got this- alcohol is just sugar, you're positive it fuels your run from here on.... Then you poop yourself and don't notice or don't care cuz it's a party baby! Hahaha! Ohh ice cream!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @greyparks206 Congrats!!!!
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @greyparks206 Congrats!!!!
    Thank you!!

• Elise4270
    Options
    7---30 min stationary bike
    8---30 min stationary bike
    10---1.76 walk
    13---2.07 walk
    14---6.45 walk
    15---3.50 walk
    16---2.89 walk
    18--- 3 mile walk/run 1,1
    20---2.25 mile walk/run 1,1
    21---10 miles stationary bike

Raining today. So no outdoor activities

21.92 walking/running miles.

Upcoming Races
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @amymoreorless I love mizunos. They have been my go to shoe the last year or so.

I plan on grabbing a new pair next week.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Beautiful day. Sunny and cool. Lots of people and doggies on the bike path. 4m.

19.7/40

I’m jealous of all the new shoes. I also have new shoes (Saucony Kinvara 9), but the first time I wore them, I stepped in a big pile of dog poop. Still working on cleaning them up. So, old shoes it is for another day or two (Kinvara 6).
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I would just order the new strap. If you find the old one you can always just have a spare and alternate between them.
    Doing weights is great - other than being sore for a day or two afterwards I love it, love how it makes me feel and love being strong. It catches people off guard and I love the look on their faces when I lift something heavy - at the gym or at a store :) I do recommend working with a trainer at least initially - for the incentive and to make sure you are getting the form down correctly. You need to be patient with it and go at it slowly (just like getting back to running). It takes time to build up the strength and start seeing results. @ddmom0811 - worked with a trainer for a while I think and now she trains herself. She may have some recommendations on the programs she uses and what she liked or didn't.

Elise, I will send you the training plan I am using now. I just don't know what I'm doing when it ends in 2 weeks!
    @ddmom0811 - can you send it to me too please :) I'm always looking for workouts I can do at home or when traveling.

Have you guys tried Kettlebells? This is what I use when doing strength training at home. You can get a full body workout with only 1-2 kettlebells. You don't need to invest in a lot of equipment or need a lot of dedicated space.

Here is a good beginers workout that works the whole body and only requires one Kettlebell: https://www.onnit.com/academy/full-body-kettlebell-workout-for-beginners/

Warning - If you do decide to get a Kettlebell, don't buy the cheep plastic encased ones. They don't last.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I love my Mizuno Wave Riders as walking shoes. I run mostly in Saucony Kinvaras, which are lighter. The Wave Riders have better cushioning, particularly on the heels, which is great for walking. I probably *could* run in the Wave Riders . . . but I've done pretty well with Kinvaras and I don't want to mess that up.