Irrational Fears

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    The chocolate fountains at Golden Corral. I just imagine recirculated chocolate running through a machine that hasn't been properly washed in a week. Not to mention all the snotty kid fingers that have been in it. Not happening.

Gahhh now this is the worst thing today
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thunder and lightning. I’ll sit in my bathroom until the storm passes :( I have an irrational fear of getting electrocuted. I always hold my breath before I plug something in.

Oh my gosh. I am so with you on the brontophobia (official though apparently outdated name for that fear)! I just can’t help thinking, even though I stay indoors away from sinks/water/metal for the most part (so definitely not hiding in a bathroom-electricity, water and metal, oh my!), that God, in His omnipotence (all-powerful state/capability and right to do what He will), could send a lightning strike through our familiy’s bedroom windows/house or strike us while we’re outside and take all of us, including our pets, to Heaven way before our time. It’s really sad, to be honest. :'( Clearly I need therapy. On the other hand, I have recently been assured that that would only happen if it was for sure our time to get off the planet, so that gives me some peace. It’s just sorta serious yet ridiculous.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I always stomp on my work gloves before putting them on just in case there's a brown recluse inside.

That is legit! Nothing irrational about it! That and my work boots.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    The chocolate fountains at Golden Corral. I just imagine recirculated chocolate running through a machine that hasn't been properly washed in a week. Not to mention all the snotty kid fingers that have been in it. Not happening.
    They actually have very strict sanitation rules for that. Do NOT touch your dipper (fruit, cookies, whatever) with your hands at any time-use a skewer or you’ll have to throw the yumminess away and force the disgruntled, clearly-unhappy-to-be-there-anyway worker to replace everything even if it’s running full-steam-ahead/with ample chocolate. Those who at first glance appear to be under 18 WILL have an adult oversee the fun.
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    I fear what every good little Roman Catholic boy fears, Nuns! More specifically my second grade teach sister Josefina Mengele! She was Satan's right hand.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    They actually have very strict sanitation rules for that. Do NOT touch your dipper (fruit, cookies, whatever) with your hands at any time-use a skewer or you’ll have to throw the yumminess away and force the disgruntled, clearly-unhappy-to-be-there-anyway worker to replace everything even if it’s running full-steam-ahead/with ample chocolate. Those who at first glance appear to be under 18 WILL have an adult oversee the fun.

Oh, I've seen things.
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    I fear what every good little Roman Catholic boy fears, Nuns! More specifically my second grade teach sister Josefina Mengele! She was Satan's right hand.

I feel like she's gotta have a connection to Josef Mengele. You were right to be scared of her.

I think she was his evil twin.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    I feared zombies for a long time. The idea of zombies. Or more accurately, the idea of something as tiny as a nick, scratch or bite lead to the irreversible, and living with the knowledge of irreversible for a very brief moment of time. Or having this happen to someone else around me.
    That was before I decided the best course of action was to watch every zombie movie ever to "cure myself". And cure I did. Now I only fear falling on the subway tracks, earwigs getting into my ears and being late somewhere important (I am terrified of that).

I have something similar with amoebas getting into my brain.

I just tell myself they did a long time ago and they are doing great!

Now that you mention it... yeah, that too. Maybe they're doing great because we are, maybe they're us now and we don't even know.

ny6kaeahsvsh.jpg

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    I know someone who is afraid to open one of those cans of biscuits; the kind where you peel the label off and then have to press on the seam in the cardboard with the butt end of a spoon and then BOOM, the biscuits burst out of their cocoon. Makes her jump every time.

This is so me. I have had them explode before I have even finished peeling the can. Biscuits go flying everywhere. So I open them on the counter and yelp every time they pop open, lol.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »

We had two Norovirus outbreaks at our Golden Corral. Both were linked to that chocolate fountain.. Our Golden Corral is no longer in business though. I hope that that location was an exception to the rule. Small towns get wind of anything like that and people wont touch the place for a long while.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Not sure if irrational or not, but scientists have trained a spider to jump on command:
    bbc.com/news/science-environment-43996959
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Swimming in lakes as a kid I was terrified fish would bite my toes. :lol:
    I still feel uneasy in water I can't really see in to. I generally stick to swimming pools once every 8 years lol.