obviously too old for this

Options
OK here is the situation.
I'm nearly 52 my children and grandchildren won't MSN messenger me or use any other form of internet chat arena with me because I am of an age when I insist on using proper sentences and not RULOL XXX etc. and they get bored waiting for me to respond.
Therefore it is probably breaking the law somewhere for me to be posting in a forum but anyway here I go.

I am confused and I hope there's a helpful person out there who can sort me out

I asked about people saying BUMP - afraid I still don't understand what that means
People also say THIS - what does that mean on its own?
Are there any other catch phrases or cant sayings that I need to know about?

More importantly I thought losing weight was all about calories but people mention
TDEES and MACROS what are they all about?

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 52 my children and grandchildren won't MSN messenger me or use any other form of internet chat arena with me because I am of an age when I insist on using proper sentences and not RULOL XXX etc. and they get bored waiting for me to respond.
    Therefore it is probably breaking the law somewhere for me to be posting in a forum but anyway here I go.

I asked about people saying BUMP - afraid I still don't understand what that means

More importantly I thought losing weight was all about calories but people mention

BUMP puts the topic at the top of the "recent posts" list. It is not relevant to anything. It is by nature an empty post.
    THIS comes directly after a quote. It is just a way of agreeing with someone.
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. It is the total amount of calories that you burn based on your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and exercise.
    MACROS are fats/carbohydrates/protein. They are important to your body composition.
    PM me if you have any further questions :)

ETA (edited to add): Macros stands for macronutrients. This term is opposed to MICROnutrients (vitamins, electrolytes, minerals, etc.)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Hi.

BUMP is used to create a post which draws attention to the topic. moving the topic up to the top of the forum list. It literally bumps it to the top. People do this to get more feedback on a topic.

THIS means, heck, whatever the person I'm quoting said, I agree with it.

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. A calculate of how many calories your body burns in a day

MACROS are the major caloric items - protein, fats, carbs. They are needed to build your body into what you want it to be.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    We need a mfp translation guide lol

This-basically means "I like this, or I agree with this."
    Bump-You want to bump up this post in the forums so it shows up as the first post, or basically you want to share the post with others. You can also put bump if you want to have it on your profile to look at later.
    Macros-Your macronutrients, carbs, protein, fat
    TDEE-Total daily energy expenditure. I would google that because it requires a longer explanation than I have time for

Other things you might want to know:
    SW/CW/GW Starting weight/Current weight/Goal weight
    IRL In real life such as "Do you ever meet anyone on MFP IRL?
    c25k Couch to 5k. Its a popular running training program
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

BUMP puts the topic at the top of the "recent posts" list. It is not relevant to anything. It is by nature an empty post.
    THIS comes directly after a quote. It is just a way of agreeing with someone.
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. It is the total amount of calories that you burn based on your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and exercise.
    MACROS are fats/carbohydrates/protein. They are important to your body composition.
    PM me if you have any further questions :)

THIS

=D (just so you can see it in context!)
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I know your questions have been answered, but don't feel bad; I'm half your age and sometimes I'm like, EH?!

And I HATE things which aren't typed properly! It probably takes the person the same amount of time to figure out how to shorten the phrase as it would to just type it!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

First of all, your children are rude. Mine have friended me in spite of using full sentences instead of text-speak, and they mostly reply to me the same way.

Bump = a short post to renew the thread. There are so many threads going that if one doesn't get a new post in awhile, it disappears from the current threads.

This = agreeing with something someone else posted. It is usually accompanied by a quote from the previous post, like my post here where I quoted your entire post.

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. To lose weight, your calories have to be lower than your TDEE. There are sites to calculate your probable TDEE. My favorite is fat2fitradio.com.

Macros - major components of nutrition: protein, fat, carbohydrates (carbs), sugars etc.
  • FoodLoverDeb05
    Options
    BUMP to bring up somebody's post typically by posting the word "bump" on a message board Can also stand for Bring Up My Post
    TDEE total daily energy expenditure
    MACROS no clue as far as the diet world only the computer one...sorry cannot help on this one
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    PS: I saw no other replies when I typed up the same thing other people are saying.
  • onwarddownward
    Options
    DH means dear husband, DW dear wife, DD dear daughter, ect.

SO is significant other

WL is weight loss

FL is friend list

FR is friend request

IRL is in real life, as RL is real life

IMHO is in my humble opinion

IMO is in my opinion (apparently the sender is not humble?)

You can put any acronym into a search engine and type "meaning" after it and get an explanation.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you "bump" a post what you're doing is replying so that it will show up under "My Topics" in the community board. Basically, you're "responding" to a post so that you can find it easily without having to search through the whole forum. You just click on my topics, and because you responded to the opening post, you'll see it listed there.

If you quote someone else's post and say "THIS," what you're saying is that you agree wholeheartedly with that post. It's a little more ambiguous if you don't quote the post you're agreeing with, but usually it means you agree with the previous poster.

Your TDEE means your total daily energy expenditure. It's an alternate way of determining how many calories you should eat. MyFitnessPal lets you manually set your calories if you prefer. You can check out this website for more info on that: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Macros are your macronutrients, that is, how much fat,protein and carbohydrate you're trying to get. If you look at the bottom of your food diary, MyFitnessPal will calculate all of those for you. Many people manually set these differently than the automatic MyFitnessPal settings. For example,people who prefer low carbohydrate diets often set their carbohydrates to be lower, and their percentage of fat higher. People who are doing strength training often set their protein levels to be higher.

Hope this helps, and have a good day!
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    For me, I actually had to Google NSV! I didn't have a clue what it meant and came to the realization that it was, "Non Scale Victory"... at least I think it is....:laugh:

p.s. never too old; age is a state of mind, right??:bigsmile:
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Awwwww, I can totally sympathize with you. I never took typing in school (back when we actually had to use typewriters!) because i pointed out to everyone that i "wasn't going to be a secretary" Well, the joke was on me, because computers were right around the corner! My kids cant stand to watch my 'hunt and peck' speed skills, and like you, I started out on social media using whole sentences and proper punctuation (GASP). Fortunately, you did the right thing by asking and have the answer already so the only thing I can add is to just hang in there and do your research. Unfortunately, you will often find posts or threads with completely contradictory information and suggestions so you have to rely on good research, as well as your own trial and error to see what works best for you. Good Luck
  • onwarddownward
    Options
    PS: I saw no other replies when I typed up the same thing other people are saying.

^^THIS
  • ShaJustSha
    Options
    I know your questions have been answered, but don't feel bad; I'm half your age and sometimes I'm like, EH?!

And I HATE things which aren't typed properly! It probably takes the person the same amount of time to figure out how to shorten the phrase as it would to just type it!

THIS :)

Two thumbs UP!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad guys. I'm an editor and must type quickly for my job :).
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    dont feel bad 99% of all I read on here is completely ****ing retarded
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's ok...I had to search youtube to see what "twerking" was :)
  • bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me, I actually had to Google NSV! I didn't have a clue what it meant and came to the realization that it was, "Non Scale Victory"... at least I think it is....:laugh:

p.s. never too old; age is a state of mind, right??:bigsmile:

Me too! hahaha
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I totally resent your saying that 52 is OLD ....... you don't know what OLD is ......

I don't know either, and I'm gonna be 62 next month ......

But I'll ask my mom ..... she's 85 ...... maybe she knows :laugh:

BTW (by the way) ....... welcome to MFP !
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    First of all, your children are rude. Mine have friended me in spite of using full sentences instead of text-speak, and they mostly reply to me the same way.

Great start to your post there snake lady. Calling someone else's kids rude isn't too cool. I bet your kids aren't perfect either.