obviously too old for this

Options

Replies

• rockinchick221976
    rockinchick221976 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The accronyms don't confuse me, I can't usually figure them out, but I am still trying to figure out how to reply to someones' quote, Everyone seems to know how to do it but me, lol. Every time I hit quote it brings up the quote, I write my reply and it adds my reply inside the quote box as part of the quote. Why...what am I doing wrong? I know this is completely off subject, but I really need to know!
  • carollynch09
    Options
    52 old? I thought so too until I hit it! ugh. you think 52 is old...you just wait young man :) This is the oldest I've ever been!!

welcome to MFP!

add me if you'd like. I don't text either. Takes me all day to type in yes or no.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dont feel bad 99% of all I read on here is completely ****ing retarded

LOL. THIS!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I use complete words and sentences, too. It isn't a bad thing.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The accronyms don't confuse me, I can't usually figure them out, but I am still trying to figure out how to reply to someones' quote, Everyone seems to know how to do it but me, lol. Every time I hit quote it brings up the quote, I write my reply and it adds my reply inside the quote box as part of the quote. Why...what am I doing wrong? I know this is completely off subject, but I really need to know!

Type your reply UNDER the last [ /quote ].
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    First of all, your children are rude. Mine have friended me in spite of using full sentences instead of text-speak, and they mostly reply to me the same way.

Great start to your post there snake lady. Calling someone else's kids rude isn't too cool. I bet your kids aren't perfect either.

^^This or +1 just to add to the OP's repertoire :tongue:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My kids and my students all use full sentences on line - just like they do in person (and I'm older than you).

When I don't understand an abbreviation, I like it up on the internet. You are not the only one. All slang needs to be explained.

Don't blame it on your age.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's ok...I had to search youtube to see what "twerking" was :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic. I was wondering what some of those terms were as well :)
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options

LOL. Glad I'm not the only one.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    For me, I actually had to Google NSV! I didn't have a clue what it meant and came to the realization that it was, "Non Scale Victory"... at least I think it is....:laugh:

p.s. never too old; age is a state of mind, right??:bigsmile:

I was going to add NSV - that is the one I struggled with for a long time!!!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    We need a mfp translation guide lol

This-basically means "I like this, or I agree with this."
    Bump-You want to bump up this post in the forums so it shows up as the first post, or basically you want to share the post with others. You can also put bump if you want to have it on your profile to look at later.
    Macros-Your macronutrients, carbs, protein, fat
    TDEE-Total daily energy expenditure. I would google that because it requires a longer explanation than I have time for

Other things you might want to know:
    SW/CW/GW Starting weight/Current weight/Goal weight
    IRL In real life such as "Do you ever meet anyone on MFP IRL?
    c25k Couch to 5k. Its a popular running training program

Hah! Glad you explained c25k -- I've been so impressed all along (LOL) with all the people I thought were doing "couch to 25k"!

I'm still impressed (couch to 5k is nothing to sneeze at) but not *quite* as impressed. (*grin*) Used to be a runner, and have run 25Ks in the past, but in my current state I don't think I could even walk a 5k. Bad knees. Hope they'll get better with weight loss. We'll see.
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    First of all, your children are rude. Mine have friended me in spite of using full sentences instead of text-speak, and they mostly reply to me the same way.

Great start to your post there snake lady. Calling someone else's kids rude isn't too cool. I bet your kids aren't perfect either.

I'm glad somebody else was offended by HER rudeness....
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    52 old? I thought so too until I hit it! ugh. you think 52 is old...you just wait young man :) This is the oldest I've ever been!!

welcome to MFP!

add me if you'd like. I don't text either. Takes me all day to type in yes or no.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    DH means dear husband, DW dear wife, DD dear daughter, ect.

SO is significant other

WL is weight loss

FL is friend list

FR is friend request

IRL is in real life, as RL is real life

IMHO is in my humble opinion

IMO is in my opinion (apparently the sender is not humble?)

You can put any acronym into a search engine and type "meaning" after it and get an explanation.

What is QFT?
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also, anyone else realize they were better off NOT knowing what "twerking" was cuz that's something you just can't UNsee.....sorry off topic.....:laugh:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    OK here is the situation.
    I'm nearly 52 my children and grandchildren won't MSN messenger me or use any other form of internet chat arena with me because I am of an age when I insist on using proper sentences and not RULOL XXX etc. and they get bored waiting for me to respond.
    Therefore it is probably breaking the law somewhere for me to be posting in a forum but anyway here I go.

I am confused and I hope there's a helpful person out there who can sort me out

I asked about people saying BUMP - afraid I still don't understand what that means
    People also say THIS - what does that mean on its own?
    Are there any other catch phrases or cant sayings that I need to know about?

More importantly I thought losing weight was all about calories but people mention
    TDEES and MACROS what are they all about?

I'm from your generation and find it's easy enough to google all these ^^ sorts of questions. As example I just googled "what does bump on a discussion board mean?" and came up with a bunch of hits.

I hope my "JFGI" response doesn't come across rude, I just suspect you could ask questions all day and still come across something you don't quite 'get'. For *me* often if I continue to read along I'll figure it out soon enough (that's how I got the gist of what "bump" and "this", etc, means).

Good luck and welcome aboard :flowerforyou:
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me, I actually had to Google NSV! I didn't have a clue what it meant and came to the realization that it was, "Non Scale Victory"... at least I think it is....:laugh:

p.s. never too old; age is a state of mind, right??:bigsmile:

Cool. I wondered what NSV meant. Thanks
  • qweenovme
    qweenovme Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am 49. Also too old. I thought bump was a dance we did in the 70,s so this information is helpful to me also!!!
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Oh great another one to look up. twerking? lol