obviously too old for this

Options

Replies

• AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use complete words and sentences, too. It isn't a bad thing.

^this

...and yet most of the time people still don't have a clue what I'm trying to say.
    [/quotet

This and other post are cracking me up!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    LOL (laugh out loud) that is the extent of my knowledge for post and abbreviations ! Loved the original post (OP, I have come to learn). I feel old and clueless and an entire year younger than him! Bump always had me wondering! Thanks for the chuckles this afternoon!
    My mum refuses to admit LOL means laugh out loud she insists it's loads of love
    she never gets upset by comments on Facebook.

Just tell her to make sure not to respond to any deaths or tragedies with "LOL" people might get the wrong idea.......

Haha! GREAT
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    BUMP = "Bring up my post" i.e. they've already addressed this issue at another time/another place and are directing you to find it.

HOWEVER, at MFP, bump is misused more than any other acronym. It can mean "Like", "I'm saving this" or god knows what. Drove me crazy the first couple of weeks as every time I saw it, I'd be off looking for a related post that didn't exist. It is a useless acronym here because of the misuse.

You'll be fine. There are lots of nice folks here that will offer information and support. Just beware that the handful of not-so-nice folks will rip you a new one over the smallest thing and who live to stir up drama. Grammar police beware! :ohwell: Welcome!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

^this

...and yet most of the time people still don't have a clue what I'm trying to say.

Generally, in the case of sentence construct such as yours, it's a case of misunderstanding because, not in spite, of carefully crafted gems.
  • guif
    guif Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think your too old, I personally think people make up a lot of abbreviations that are unknown to ANYONE but them! :happy: . There is no shame in finding out definitions to real words, and all these abbreviations are no different. If you don't know ask, or here is my other answer if in doubt look it up!

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    It's ok...I had to search youtube to see what "twerking" was :)

Yup. Me too.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

^this

wait? wut?
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

^this :drinker:
  • Suzq25
    Suzq25 Posts: 1
    Options
    Today is my first day on this site & this board... Thanks so much for making me laugh :) You're all a riot.
    I also type most everything out other than LOL... which you made me do today. Thanks.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One final point
    To effectively lose weight
    You actually don't need to worry about calories, TDEEs, Macros etc.
    Some recent research says it's all about how you wash your hair
    see attached picture
    shampoo_zpse97b5d25.jpg
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    One final point
    To effectively lose weight
    You actually don't need to worry about calories, TDEEs, Macros etc.
    Some recent research says it's all about how you wash your hair
    see attached picture
    shampoo_zpse97b5d25.jpg

This science must not work for me, because when I switched to shampoo from dishwashing liquid I lost 10 pounds.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    LMGTFY
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    BUMP MEANS YOU CANT POST TODAY BUT WANT TO CHECK IN. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHERS. I, TOO DISLIKE THE TEXTING. WE MAKE OUR GRAndkids put their phones away when they visit us
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

IMHO is in my humble opinion

IMO is in my opinion (apparently the sender is not humble?)

RU LOL XXX :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of Social Media!

Have you ever noticed that some professions have their own kind of language? I think the most common is when people who are in the military have conversations with one another, and a non military person joins the conversation he/she doesn't seem to know what is going on? That is the kind of world you have just stumbled into. Luckily, there are lots of friendly people here to help you hit your Macros, making sure you are netting enough and that you are eating under your TDEE. Don't forget to calculate your BMR and perhaps you want to discover what your MHR is just as a point of reference (All common exercise acronyms, BTW).

Internet jargon, texting, IM, forums and chat have the same kind of lingo that is exclusive to that particular medium of communication.

Just like any new language, the best way to learn is through immersion. Just like they said in school, there are no dumb questions. :flowerforyou:
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey :) x
  • jcreazy
    jcreazy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1063565-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6?hl=acronyms#posts-16343748

Here is the link for acronyms. It's funny that so many people misuse bump. It seems many people don't know what it was originally intended for and it's taking on a whole different meaning. Bump is used to bump the topic back to the top so people will see it, most forums don't let you bump until a post is off the first page. One thing that drives me crazy when I just see a lot of people bumping. Lol
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    BUMP MEANS YOU CANT POST TODAY BUT WANT TO CHECK IN. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHERS. I, TOO DISLIKE THE TEXTING. WE MAKE OUR GRAndkids put their phones away when they visit us

YOUR GRAndkids hate you...
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's ok...I had to search youtube to see what "twerking" was :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And what is Twerking? (should I ask?)

I'm 50, and I type with 8 fingers and one thumb in complete sentences, with puncuation and so on - I don't really know how to type in txt (oh, I just did!) or other shorthand :ohwell: I had a lovely smartphone, with a slide out QUERTY keyboard, so I could write my texts in full sentences with punctuation too :smile: but it died :sad:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    LOL (laugh out loud) that is the extent of my knowledge for post and abbreviations ! Loved the original post (OP, I have come to learn). I feel old and clueless and an entire year younger than him! Bump always had me wondering! Thanks for the chuckles this afternoon!
    My mum refuses to admit LOL means laugh out loud she insists it's loads of love
    she never gets upset by comments on Facebook.

David Cameron (UK Prime Minister) apparently thought that too, texting Rebecca Wade in the whole hacking scandal we had recently.