obviously too old for this

Options

Replies

• Hoponopono
    Hoponopono Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    FIFY...Fixed it for you

My contribution for the day...haven't seen it used in the MFP boards yet, but I am new here.

Great responses so far.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I had a lovely smartphone, with a slide out QUERTY keyboard, so I could write my texts in full sentences with punctuation too :smile: but it died :sad:

QWERTY - because it's the first six letters in the top row.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I thought T'werking is what yorkshire men go to do in the morning as in "I'm off t'werking"
    QWERTY - because it's the first six letters in the top row.
    My mum refuses to admit LOL means laugh out loud she insists it's loads of love
    she never gets upset by comments on Facebook.

:laugh: !!!! This thread has me dying laughing!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1063565-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6?hl=acronyms#posts-16343748

Here is the link for acronyms. It's funny that so many people misuse bump. It seems many people don't know what it was originally intended for and it's taking on a whole different meaning. Bump is used to bump the topic back to the top so people will see it, most forums don't let you bump until a post is off the first page. One thing that drives me crazy when I just see a lot of people bumping. Lol

I use "Save for Later." I do it so a post will appear in the "My Topics" list.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I myself don't use too many web abbreviations. It can help to use a text predictor such as "Swiftkey."

When in doubt, Google it.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The accronyms don't confuse me, I can't usually figure them out, but I am still trying to figure out how to reply to someones' quote, Everyone seems to know how to do it but me, lol. Every time I hit quote it brings up the quote, I write my reply and it adds my reply inside the quote box as part of the quote. Why...what am I doing wrong? I know this is completely off subject, but I really need to know!
    When you hit quote it brings up the previous post starting with the word quote in brackets and ending with a backslash and the word quote in brackets. If you add your text befor the bracket backslash quote bracket your text will end up in the quote box like this.

If you type your text after the bracket backslash quote bracket your text will end up after the quote box like this. If you type your text before the initial bracket quote bracket at the top your text will end up on top of the quote box. Knowing this also allows you to delete part of the quoted text if you only want to call attention to part of the posting.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Interesting statement, or actually phrase, "to old for this." My children text me, and their thumbs fly across their screens, the biggest complaint they have is I am slow in responding. Of course I am slow, I use sentences not phrases and besides which why not just call me instead of texting? Thier anwser, "Because I can talk to many different people at the same time." As for old, my mother is on Facebook and she is over a certain age, hint, I am the oldest and am turning 57 this month. Tonight, if the weather continues as it currently is, I will play soccer with 20 and 30 year old men, I am not the referee. In short, life is change and living means adjusting to the changes. Enjoy the changes life brings and adjust, it will ake life very interesting.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The accronyms don't confuse me, I can't usually figure them out, but I am still trying to figure out how to reply to someones' quote, Everyone seems to know how to do it but me, lol. Every time I hit quote it brings up the quote, I write my reply and it adds my reply inside the quote box as part of the quote. Why...what am I doing wrong? I know this is completely off subject, but I really need to know!

lol Yeah, my problem is that I forget to add my reply, but that's a whole different story. So...hit the quote button. Make sure the part of the quote you want shows in the area between the designations of quote and end quote, meaning you can delete part of it if you want to show only the part you are highlighting/replying to. Then add your reply AFTER the end quote designation, which looks like this, but without the spaces: [ / quote ]. Lastly, click 'post reply.' I hope that helps.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    This forum uses something called "BB" code, which is a markup code similar to XHTML (Extensible HyperText Markup Language). The site below provides some of the codes, although I think that this forum is set only to use the "quote," bold and italic and underscore codes. But I don't really know because I've never tried.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Deleted.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1063565-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6?hl=acronyms#posts-16343748

Here is the link for acronyms. It's funny that so many people misuse bump. It seems many people don't know what it was originally intended for and it's taking on a whole different meaning. Bump is used to bump the topic back to the top so people will see it, most forums don't let you bump until a post is off the first page. One thing that drives me crazy when I just see a lot of people bumping. Lol

Bumping a topic not only puts it back on the front page, but it puts it in your personal topics so you can find it again.

I'm age 59 and very comfortable with text and acronyms. I love being around people of all ages and backgrounds. It makes me wince when people in their fifties think they're old. You can be an old soul in your 20s and an immature pain in the *kitten* in your 70s. Age doesn't mean anything except how long you've been standing around breathing. /Rant off
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think it is funny how so many are stating they are 'not old' and anyone over a certain age implying it needs to get with it and be 'young'' like them! I have found those making cracks about their age to be joking around and being silly about the differences between generations. I find many differences between myself and children and my parents, doesn't mean I am old and stuffy, it means I can find humor in our differences!
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I thought DH meant DISNEY husband etc - :)
    DH means dear husband, DW dear wife, DD dear daughter, ect.

SO is significant other

WL is weight loss

FL is friend list

FR is friend request

IRL is in real life, as RL is real life

IMHO is in my humble opinion

IMO is in my opinion (apparently the sender is not humble?)

You can put any acronym into a search engine and type "meaning" after it and get an explanation.
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen ETA (Edited to Add) or the PM (Private Message) used in the first reply to the OP (Original Poster). There is also PP (Previous Poster).

ETA: This is a great thread.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

I'm age 59 and very comfortable with text and acronyms. I love being around people of all ages and backgrounds. It makes me wince when people in their fifties think they're old. You can be an old soul in your 20s and an immature pain in the *kitten* in your 70s. Age doesn't mean anything except how long you've been standing around breathing. /Rant off

Truth !
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    nevermind, I was replying to something then when it posted on the last page I saw at least three people had just responded with the same info, one almost exactly! :blushing:
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I think it is funny how so many are stating they are 'not old' and anyone over a certain age implying it needs to get with it and be 'young'' like them! I have found those making cracks about their age to be joking around and being silly about the differences between generations. I find many differences between myself and children and my parents, doesn't mean I am old and stuffy, it means I can find humor in our differences!

True, but significant ageism also exists in our society and the OP seems to have absorbed a bit of it. The minute you start even suggesting to yourself that you can't do things because you're older you start undermining yourself.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Also, anyone else realize they were better off NOT knowing what "twerking" was cuz that's something you just can't UNsee.....sorry off topic.....:laugh:

search for "dogs twerking"...you can thank me later :)

Oh no! I knew what twerking was but now...I will have to look this up! Thanks! Thanks a lot!:grumble:
  • Adler2512
    Adler2512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    BTW, PM=private message. I saw that no one let you know what that was. BTW=by the way. :wink:
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Haven't found the age where a person is too old. I use full sentences also but, am learning the acronyms, just prefer not to use them.