How to cut down grocery bill, and still eat healthy?

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have to say, as another single person, it seems like the most efficient way to save money isn't with a hundred dollar appliance that requires you to keep buying bags for it.

I freeze things in jars: either mason jars or glass peanut butter jars that I've washed out. Works really well. I don't eat meat any more, but when I did I browned things like ground hamburger or ground turkey in advance with a little onion and sometimes green pepper. Then it was ready to go when I wanted it. I also pre-made patties with the raw meats and stored them in a ziploc bag separated by waxed paper. They were fine as long as I didn't forget them for months.

I'm a single person too and I don't see spending $100+ on a FoodSaver as a waste of money at all, compared w/the same $100+ people spend on InstantPots or Nutribullet devices. Or the ridiculous (to me) $300+ that some will spend on a Vitamix blender. It's all relative.

The FoodSaver has been a great money and food saver for me and I'll just leave it at that.

However, I also store a lot of food in quart/pint and half pint mason jars in my frig and cupboards.

The only thing that I freeze in a mazon jar is bacon fat, which I strain and save after I bake (I don't pan fry it) my bacon. Adds great flavor to a lot of meat dishes that I cook.

I can cherries when they are in season and store kimchi, sauerkraut and soups in mason jars in my frig, which can last quite long stored that way.

I also store certain seasonings (like salt) and dried goods (like dried chilies and fruit) that I buy in bulk in quart sized mason jars as well.

I use the optional plastic caps for general food storage in the frig/cupboard, as opposed to the metal ring/seal caps used for canning. They are easier to use and keep the contents as fresh as the metal ring caps do.

However, no single method of food storage is best.

In my experience, there just are some things that are just better vacuum sealed and frozen; meat and seafood are 2 of those things. And there is nothing better IMO for keeping bulk cheese fresh, than vacuuming sealing it and keeping it in the frig.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's just personal preference as I see it. What am I willing to spend, first of all (or afford), and what work I am willing to do. I really can't say which would be an easier way, yet. But I will try without the foodsaver first. Then if I find that isn't working for me, I will eventually invest;) Both of you are doing excellent in my opinion, and I am grateful for all the replies here. Also, I'm seeing how disorganized I've been and am determined to do better this next month;) and I'm starting right now actually, as I will have to buy some things before the first, to eat;)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I have good luck wrapping meat tightly in plastic wrap, then wrapping the plastic wrap in tin foil, before freezing. No special equipment involved. Also, visible ice crystals on freezer burned meat, while not very pretty, will probably not have much impact on ground meat destined to be used in something like chili. Might not make the best tasting burger but doesn't need to be thrown away.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't freeze much since I don't like leftovers. I will freeze the arroz con pollo I make or soups, but usually I eat them that same week or the next at the latest. I will freeze that in a plastic container. I don't use plastic containers in my frig--only glass, but I'll eat the leftover the next day.
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    For what it's worth, I have good luck wrapping meat tightly in plastic wrap, then wrapping the plastic wrap in tin foil, before freezing. No special equipment involved. Also, visible ice crystals on freezer burned meat, while not very pretty, will probably not have much impact on ground meat destined to be used in something like chili. Might not make the best tasting burger but doesn't need to be thrown away.

Ty! This is helpful, and I could try it. So does yours get the frost like my picture? I even thought of buying wax paaper and wrapping it in that;)
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I don't freeze much since I don't like leftovers. I will freeze the arroz con pollo I make or soups, but usually I eat them that same week or the next at the latest. I will freeze that in a plastic container. I don't use plastic containers in my frig--only glass, but I'll eat the leftover the next day.
    That's what I've been doing for years now, and I just have them in single portions in freezer, and I eat mine between a week or maybe two if I've bought enough meat;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If your freezer is attached to your refrigerator and it is a self defrosting model, the freezer may be fluctuating temp enough to cause what you are seeing.

I have a chest freezer.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Ty! This is helpful, and I could try it. So does yours get the frost like my picture? I even thought of buying wax paaper and wrapping it in that;)

If it's wrapped tightly in plastic wrap there shouldn't be any frost, since there's no space for the frost to form.

To find out if your freezer stays at a constant temperature, put a plastic cup in there with some water. When it's frozen, put a coin on top of the water. If the coin is ever sunk into the ice, you know it thawed. This is also a good thing to do if you go on vacation and want to know if your power was out while you were gone.
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    Oh this is excellent! I never knew how this trick, thank you so much. I'm doing it right now!!
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If your freezer is attached to your refrigerator and it is a self defrosting model, the freezer may be fluctuating temp enough to cause what you are seeing.

I have a chest freezer.

Yes, it's on top in the fridge. I'm checking on fluctuations today;) Thank you to both you gals for pointing out that very, important aspect of all of this "freezer" biz :o:)

• abbynormal52
    Options
    I live in a nice apartment complex, that takes care of every apartment's needs, almost immediately. I know I'm spoiled!! But I've noticed a few of the tenants having theirs replaced, so this one may have to be as well. It runs pretty loud, which I just got used to. The maintenance fella recently vacuumed out the back, and front areas, but it still runs loud.

Anyway, now that this was brought up, I can find out if it isn't working right. It freezes fine but I didn't know anything about one fluctuating ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen veggies and only cheap meat - lots of sausage, ground turkey, chicken (I only buy breast at $2 a lb or less).
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    I'm making my grocery list, and safeway app has coupons I'm looking at as well;)
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    instead of cottage cheese(which is a little fatty), you can try curd(just with the least fat possible). And cheers. Curd has more proteins overall.

fatty? fat is good for you, why avoid it. that said you can by 0%, 1% or 2% MF cottage cheese, all of those would be lower fat options anyway.

I agree on the fats, they are essentials in my diet. I shoot for the polys, but not perfect at it;)

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    We do aldi. And HEB store brands are great taste and value. About $500 per month for 2.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Just bought 5# of a corned beef (flat cut) for 98 cents/# (regular price around, $4/#) and 6# of unsliced cured ham on the bone for 78 cents/# (price sliced about $2/#).

Will portion, vacuum seal and freeze the corned beef and ham in a day or so.

Also bought a qt of coarse salt and a, qt yellow corn meal for 59 and 73 cents/# that I'll store in the cupboard in qt sized mason jars.
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    You found the corned beef in an ad sgt? And the rest as well? I have a coupon app for Safeway, and checked our local paper (coupon ads). I need to go back and read your posts here again. I'm just too tired tonight, thanks for sharing what you are finding though;) so appreciate it;) I imagine it will just take practice for me to find the good buys;)
  • JanetBiard
    JanetBiard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you want to reduce the amount you spend on groceries, there are a couple of things you can try
    - avoid buying fruit and vegetables in supermarkets, they are always more expensive than a local shop or farmers market
    - Buy in season fruit and veg only, out of season food is more expensive and never tastes as good
    - Build meals around pulses and veg, much cheaper than meat, lentil dhal is one of my favourites and is so cheap to make.
    - Try and avoid pre-prepared food, it is more expensive, and it often has loads of non natural ingredients added along with sugar
    - It does not have to take a long time preparing food from scratch. There are lots of good cook books out there for 30 minute meals.
    Hope this helps, this is first time post for me!
  • abbynormal52
    edited April 2018
    Options
    JanetBiard wrote: »
    If you want to reduce the amount you spend on groceries, there are a couple of things you can try
    - avoid buying fruit and vegetables in supermarkets, they are always more expensive than a local shop or farmers market
    - Buy in season fruit and veg only, out of season food is more expensive and never tastes as good
    - Build meals around pulses and veg, much cheaper than meat, lentil dhal is one of my favourites and is so cheap to make.
    - Try and avoid pre-prepared food, it is more expensive, and it often has loads of non natural ingredients added along with sugar
    - It does not have to take a long time preparing food from scratch. There are lots of good cook books out there for 30 minute meals.
    Hope this helps, this is first time post for me!

Thanks Janet, the first 2 especially, jumped out at me;) I will do those for sure. I do love lentil soup, and not familiar with dhal, but can google it.

I cook all my food except on occasion, I will open a can of peaches or other fruit, rinse it well in a cauldron at least.
    I need to learn what things I eat are in season and what time of year. You can tell I don't know a lot about fresh produce, but we do have a Farmers Market here. It starts June 3rd at our Fairgrounds. It always looks like a "rat-race" but I need to brave it early (starts at 8 a.m.) and see how I do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In my part of the world the supermarket produce is cheaper than what is available in the farmers market. Check the prices.

https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/seasonal-produce-guide