'you're fat therefore you were eating too much food'... NO

Options
trudijoy
trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
I'm so sick of seeing this 'logic' splashed over the boards. I ate less when I was big than I do now. I just ate different, more calorific food. When people say they are struggling to get to calories it's sometimes because they are genuine about doing this and they have restricted themselves to lean meat, veges, and not much else, all really low fat and low cal, because that is what they heard for years and they don't know that there is another, more effective way.

People being sanctimonious and throwing about the 'you must know how to eat because you're fat' line is ridiculous. Everyones scenario is a little bit different and while the same solution (in variations) will work for everyone, NOT everyone is fat because they ate too much bulk of food, their balance was simply off. Or, like me, they had an accident and that, coupled with a thyroid problem and (at the time) ignorance of BMR led me to put on weight.

end rant :p

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    You're wrong
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    conan_spaz.gif
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Huh?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of seeing this 'logic' splashed over the boards. I ate less when I was big than I do now. I just ate different, more calorific food. When people say they are struggling to get to calories it's sometimes because they are genuine about doing this and they have restricted themselves to lean meat, veges, and not much else, all really low fat and low cal, because that is what they heard for years and they don't know that there is another, more effective way.

People being sanctimonious and throwing about the 'you must know how to eat because you're fat' line is ridiculous. Everyones scenario is a little bit different and while the same solution (in variations) will work for everyone, NOT everyone is fat because they ate too much bulk of food, their balance was simply off. Or, like me, they had an accident and that, coupled with a thyroid problem and (at the time) ignorance of BMR led me to put on weight.

Replace food with calories in your topic title and the no to yes
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yy3DySR.gif
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    lxkqjHw.gif
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    So you're saying you ate less food but you still ate more calories? Didn't you just contradict your whole post? :grumble:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    False logic. Too much food does not mean that your piece of cake was too big; it means too many calories.

The volume of food you eat has nothing to do with the number of calories it contains.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

You contradict yourself. See the bolded above. Is it bulk of food or bulk of calories? If you got fat, you were eating at a caloric surplus. End of story.

Also, obviously getting into an accident and medical conditions are the exception. But that's not usually the case for the average overweight individual. Unless they state that either of those is the case, then you're wrong.
  • be_dazzled
    be_dazzled Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Fair point but it's not true for everyone. Personally I was fat because I was greedy and lazy
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Replace food with calories in your topic title and the no to yes

^THIS

It's not the food, it's the calories in the food.

So what? You were still eating too much.

What's dangerous about your "logic" is that many people try to deflect the blame for their weight to some rare medical condition or whatever. I was 55 pounds overweight because I really like to eat, and I ate too much. The blame is 100% mine. Period.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No. What people say is "You were consuming too many calories." Not too much food.

And they are correct.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    False logic. Too much food does not mean that your piece of cake was too big; it means too many calories.

The volume of food you eat has nothing to do with the number of calories it contains.

Hmmm... this feels a bit like the lb of fat vs lb of muscle debate.

OP - Volume is implied!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused, you're saying you weren't eating a lot of FOOD, but you were eating a lot of CALORIES? You're upset that people assume that you consumed too much FOOD, as in too much volume? Kinda splitting hairs, you ate too much of something which lead to you being overweight. I ate too much of everything which made me fat. I'm not gonna sit here and get pissy because people can't tell what my eating habits are like by looking at me. I wouldn't be fat if I hadn't eaten too much of something, whether it be volume or calories.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    See herein lies the problem. Now you are counting your calories and watching your intake... and while you say you ate less food before, you probably just don't remember the handful of chips here, the cookie there... it adds up even if you don't count it or realize you are eating.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you were fat, you ate too much food.

come-at-me-bro-sword-spiderman-6OXIa9.jpg
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    what-no-gif.gif
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options