'you're fat therefore you were eating too much food'... NO

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    OK, I THINK WHAT SHE MEANS IS...

i can eat a bag of flaming hot cheetos, and that comes out to about 1800 calories... thats basically my maintenance. anything over without exercise, ill gain, so, it i eat a bag of flaming hot cheetos and a 6 pack of beer (my usual saturday "back then") i would be at a surplus...

this, vs...

1500 calories of lean meats, veggies, fruits, etc, which actually comes out to a hell of alot of food for the low amount of calories...

so, i think what she is saying, is, many people got fat off of too many calories, (even tho the amount of food may have not been much, ie: bag of flaming hot cheetos vs. same size bag of no butter popcorn) and now, when attempting to eat healthy, they are able to get full at lower calories since the food they are eating is more in quantity and less in calories...

i dont know if i make sense, but i get the "gist" of what she is saying...
    That was my take as well. But carefully-explained commonsense isn't welcome on this thread. :P
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Her point seems to be "you can eat a small volume of food and still get fat, or you can eat a huge volume of food and get thin."

The problem is that's kind of a meaningless thing to say in terms of people saying "you're fat because you eat too much." No one is talking about the overall volume you eat, period. They mean that, whatever you're eating, you're eating too much of it.

If you eat less, you lose weight. Hence the "eat less move more" common sense diet plan. Consume fewer calories (and in many minds this means less fat, or whatever).

That's it, end of story. Yes, some foods have more calories per gram. However, "you're fat because you eat too much" is simply true.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I know EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN! I could go out with friends and we could order the exact same thing and I would eat less of what was on my plate than they did, but I'm still larger than they are. I can honestly say that I dieted my way to this weight - high carb, low fat; low carb, low fat, all veggie; high protein, NO carb - I really do believe I starved myself to the point I am now.

so your saying you starved yourself at over 100 lbs overweight (just going by your ticker)

I think someone needs to start being honest with themself
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    OP has a point. When people think of fat people, they imagine them sitting around all day shoving their face constantly, when really, one large fast food meal for lunch and then dinner alone is enough to make someone fat when it's high calorie junk. It doesn't mean they shove their face all day, it means that a couple horrible choices through-out the day easily adds up.

Thus, replacing high calorie meals with more nutritious, lower calories foods means you will need to eat more and more frequently, simply because 1,500 calories of Burger King and 1,500 of fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc... look very different.

But still, calories in vs. calories out is what matters at the end of the day!

No, "people" don't actually give a **** what you do with your time. I don't picture fat people just sitting around and eating all day. I got fat from eating more than I spent in energy. What I can surmise when I see an obese person is that they have consumed more calories in their lifetime than they have expended. Because the empirical evidence is literally standing before me.

When you decide what other people think without any evidence whatsoever, it's usually because you are projecting. Kind of silly to judge others for not judging you accurately based on something probably inaccurate. It's something you learn not to do if you want healthy relationships with others and with yourself.

Cognitive behavioral therapy might be helpful if this is you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I know EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN! I could go out with friends and we could order the exact same thing and I would eat less of what was on my plate than they did, but I'm still larger than they are. I can honestly say that I dieted my way to this weight - high carb, low fat; low carb, low fat, all veggie; high protein, NO carb - I really do believe I starved myself to the point I am now.

that's actually a logical thing to post about and not at all what the op was saying. What you're describing is how a lifetime of improper dieting damages your metabolism such that you get fat eating fewer calories than your thinner friends. Its unfortunate, but fixable. What the op is saying is that she's sick of people saying she ate too much because she ate low volume calorie dense junk to gain weight so its not like she ate too much.....
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options
    I always thought I didnt eat that much until i started to log. Then, daaaaaaammmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

I'm totally with ya on this! You mean to tell me that delicious little piece of brownie is 300 cals?!?! Here's to education through logging :drinker:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I always thought I didnt eat that much until i started to log. Then, daaaaaaammmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

I'm totally with ya on this! You mean to tell me that delicious little piece of brownie is 300 cals?!?! Here's to education through logging :drinker:

tell me about it, when i was bigger, i was like... i dont eat that much, something must be wrong with my thyroid!!! then i started logging... then i was like... ooohhhhhhhhhh, there was nothing wrong with me, i just eat $hitty... :)
  • pcastagner
    Options

tell me about it, when i was bigger, i was like... i dont eat that much, something must be wrong with my thyroid!!! then i started logging... then i was like... ooohhhhhhhhhh, there was nothing wrong with me, i just eat $hitty... :)

I remember quite vividly the day I weighed out my first sensible dinner. I was like "wtf? THAT is two servings of beef?!?".

Damn straight I ate too much food!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I got fat because I ate too much food.
  • jonnythan
    Options

that's actually a logical thing to post about and not at all what the op was saying. What you're describing is how a lifetime of improper dieting damages your metabolism such that you get fat eating fewer calories than your thinner friends. Its unfortunate, but fixable. What the op is saying is that she's sick of people saying she ate too much because she ate low volume calorie dense junk to gain weight so its not like she ate too much.....

Or her thinner friends actually do eat less, as they snack less throughout the day or late at night. Or her thinner friends are more generally active than she was. Could be any number of things other than metabolic damage.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When people say someone "eats too much" they really mean they "eat too much junk". So, someone eats a pound of food a day. Is it a pound of celery or a pound of chocolate?
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

i can defo vouch for this, before i logged what i ate and became aware of how many calories are in things i would snack on, i thought i ate pretty healthily before. but when you do start to log, you start to educate yourself and suddenly you think twice about casually picking up that mars bar at the counter to snack on for no good reason, or drink 4 pints down the pub on a friday night, or just grabbing a KFC cos you cant be arsed to cook etc etc
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Pet peeve: using medical problems as an excuse

At the beginning of my weight loss journey i was
    1. In a wheel chair
    2. Had a heart condition that prevented me from doing cardio
    Now :
    3. Currently have a thyroid problem
    4. Currently have an ostomy bag

Guess how i lost weight???? Moved more and ate better... it works for EVERYONE stop making excuses!
    43359607.png

45663-I-request-the-highest-of-fives-gorJ.gif

tumblr_mpr1os44Io1s9od7wo1_500.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    OK, I THINK WHAT SHE MEANS IS...

i can eat a bag of flaming hot cheetos, and that comes out to about 1800 calories... thats basically my maintenance. anything over without exercise, ill gain, so, it i eat a bag of flaming hot cheetos and a 6 pack of beer (my usual saturday "back then") i would be at a surplus...

this, vs...

1500 calories of lean meats, veggies, fruits, etc, which actually comes out to a hell of alot of food for the low amount of calories...

so, i think what she is saying, is, many people got fat off of too many calories, (even tho the amount of food may have not been much, ie: bag of flaming hot cheetos vs. same size bag of no butter popcorn) and now, when attempting to eat healthy, they are able to get full at lower calories since the food they are eating is more in quantity and less in calories...

i dont know if i make sense, but i get the "gist" of what she is saying...

No. What she is trying to say, which I didn't get until the second post, she is trying to do is defend the "I can't eat 1200 calories" posts. She is promoting VCLD because she has hypothyroidism and its the only way she has managed to lose weight.

Nice trolling, OP. Make a confusing post with your point hidden within and then you can feel superior because no one knows what the hell you are talking about.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    most of this missed what I was on about which is why I'm largely leaving it alone but I just had to clarify:

I'm NOT defending or explaining VLCD. I'm questioning an assumption that I have read repeatedly on here that the only way to get fat is to eat a lot of food, and the result of people being attacked when they switch to a restricted calorie (MFP or TDEE - ) diet and think (due to media or whatever having an influence) that the lower their intake the better, so mentally and sometimes physically struggling to physically reach a calorie limit - and post that on here.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    most of this missed what I was on about which is why I'm largely leaving it alone but I just had to clarify:

I'm NOT defending or explaining VLCD. I'm questioning an assumption that I have read repeatedly on here that the only way to get fat is to eat a lot of food, and the result of people being attacked when they switch to a restricted calorie (MFP or TDEE - ) diet and think (due to media or whatever having an influence) that the lower their intake the better, so mentally and sometimes physically struggling to physically reach a calorie limit - and post that on here.

Except people don't say that. They say the only way to get fat is to take in more calories than you expend. Because of the laws of physics.

People are reacting negatively to your big straw man argument. Because it makes no sense!
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Lmao...I can't even.

Losing and gaining weight is a science, and it all comes down to calories. Yes, you were eating too many calories, and the only way to get fat is to eat a lot of food ie more than your body needs. This post is ridiculous.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Wrong. You're fat because you eat too much food.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm questioning an assumption that I have read repeatedly on here that the only way to get fat is to eat a lot of food, and the result of people being attacked when they switch to a restricted calorie (MFP or TDEE - ) diet and think (due to media or whatever having an influence) that the lower their intake the better, so mentally and sometimes physically struggling to physically reach a calorie limit - and post that on here.

The only way to get fat is to eat more food than you need, and anyone who thinks "the lower the better" is an idiot.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    That's fine, if people haven't heard that then it's not as big an issue as I thought, which is a good thing. I've heard and read it a LOT and it pisses me off, and I (obviously incorrectly) figured other people would get it. Actually, not totally incorrectly, as others in here HAVE got it, but still.

People have misinterpreted and gone on tangents - this is the internet and that happens. Don't really care. Wouldn't have chimed back in except to clarify a couple things that I don't want to be accused of promoting because I don't believe in them.

Miscommunication, miswording of a legit concern on my part ....whatever. Storm in a teacup and I couldn't really care less about peoples interpretations of it and writing me off as an idiot or whatever, I know where I was coming from and I've spoken about it with people before.

Differing opinions make the world go round and clearly there are many of those here... we all know how we got fat and what we changed to get thin again, so hey.