'you're fat therefore you were eating too much food'... NO

Options

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    stop making excuses for other people. pretty much everyone who is fat ate too much, didn't move enough. end of story.

Who said anything about making excuses? It's a pretty basic fact that a calorie imbalance is what will lead to excess fat, or lack thereof. No excuses here - just pointing out that 'too much food' if that food is veggies, isn't going to make you fat. Yet a normal size cheeseburger, fries, and shake, when eaten regularly, WILL make you fat (if it's along with other meals in the same day of the same calorie content). Too much 'food', i.e., 'volume/amount', does not make one fat by default. Nothing about excuses, just about people slamming other people for being gluttons, when it doesn't take gluttony to gain weight. You could be a glutton with veggies, and not gain an ounce - replace that with milkshakes, and WHAM!

Pretty much....
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean. I don't think I know any overweight people that *only* eat fast food/junk food. They eat some of both and they don't get enough exercise and even though it doesn't seem like you are eating that bad that often it can creep up on you.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Pet peeve: using medical problems as an excuse

At the beginning of my weight loss journey i was
    1. In a wheel chair
    2. Had a heart condition that prevented me from doing cardio
    Now :
    3. Currently have a thyroid problem
    4. Currently have an ostomy bag

Guess how i lost weight???? Moved more and ate better... it works for EVERYONE stop making excuses!
    43359607.png
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    30547-Yeah-science-gif-9HyV.gif

He is so sexy...

/leave thread
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options

1. In a wheel chair
    Now :

Guess how i lost weight???? Moved more and ate better... it works for EVERYONE stop making excuses!
    43359607.png

044159e6e0b6bbae9a223ead74efee75883a7b7.gif
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    stop making excuses for other people. pretty much everyone who is fat ate too much, didn't move enough. end of story.

Who said anything about making excuses? It's a pretty basic fact that a calorie imbalance is what will lead to excess fat, or lack thereof. No excuses here - just pointing out that 'too much food' if that food is veggies, isn't going to make you fat. Yet a normal size cheeseburger, fries, and shake, when eaten regularly, WILL make you fat (if it's along with other meals in the same day of the same calorie content). Too much 'food', i.e., 'volume/amount', does not make one fat by default. Nothing about excuses, just about people slamming other people for being gluttons, when it doesn't take gluttony to gain weight. You could be a glutton with veggies, and not gain an ounce - replace that with milkshakes, and WHAM!

I see.

You want to make distinction between the scientific "more than your body needs to maintain homeostasis", and the ambiguous moral concept of gluttony.

You just forgot that science frees you from having to rely on morality when it comes to making choices that are essentially NOT ethical or moral dilemmas.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

If you were to eat an excess of calories of all vegetables you'd still gain weight. It's just not likely to actually do that so it's not often discussed.
  • pcastagner
    Options

If you were to eat an excess of calories of all vegetables you'd still gain weight. It's just not likely to actually do that so it's not often discussed.

You could pull this off by drying the veggies maybe.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    There's a great show on BBC called secret eaters. Most of the time large people where in denial or just did not consciously know how they ate.

I bet when we were heavier we never recorded or thought about the food we put into our mouths. I think we did eat more than we were aware of.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    61vx3rqrl8uy7.gif

^this
  • pcastagner
    Options
    There's a great show on BBC called secret eaters. Most of the time large people where in denial or just did not consciously know how they ate.

I bet when we were heavier we never recorded or thought about the food we put into our mouths. I think we did eat more than we were aware of.

I was aware of and savored every heavenly morsel. I kept telling myself I would make up for it later with exercise, or just pushed it to the back of my mind. Sometimes I figured "I'll be alone for the rest of my life anyway, so what's the point".
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    No. What people say is "You were consuming too many calories." Not too much food.

And they are correct.

This.

You are confusing the AMOUNT of food someone eats with how many CALORIES it contains.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I wasn't averaging much off my current basic calorie limit before I started here; many days I would eat considerably less (sometimes forgetting to eat). But I was eating a very (likely problematically) low amount of fat, and not enough protein (I'm not crazy about meat so I have to work at that). Man cannot live by carbs alone, even if they're complex and rich in vitamins and fiber. There were other health issues involved which had to be addressed, but paying attention to the macros helped a lot, not just with weight loss but with my health. Maybe that's what she means by balance.

Anyway, maybe she should have said "'you're fat therefore you were eating like a pig (giant portions, fried crap)'... NO". It's possible to get fat on modest portions, and on foods that appear to be (and even are!) healthy and lean, but if you don't know *how many calories you're eating* or not getting your basic nutrition right, it's not going to help your weight.

Most people seem to think keeping a food diary is crossing a Pathetic Line of some sort, and they think they can lose weight just by keeping to the portion sizes on food packages or making "better choices", without knowing how much they're eating total and how much they need (not just calories but nutrition). Most people would benefit from keeping a diary for even just a couple of weeks so they can actually SEE what their typical days look like. But most won't.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

1. In a wheel chair
    Now :

43359607.png

45663-I-request-the-highest-of-fives-gorJ.gif
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I wasn't averaging much off my current basic calorie limit before I started here; many days I would eat considerably less (sometimes forgetting to eat). But I was eating a very (likely problematically) low amount of fat, and not enough protein (I'm not crazy about meat so I have to work at that). Man cannot live by carbs alone, even if they're complex and rich in vitamins and fiber. There were other health issues involved which had to be addressed, but paying attention to the macros helped a lot, not just with weight loss but with my health. Maybe that's what she means by balance.

Anyway, maybe she should have said "'you're fat therefore you were eating like a pig (giant portions, fried crap)'... NO". It's possible to get fat on modest portions, and on foods that appear to be (and even are!) healthy and lean, but if you don't know *how many calories you're eating* or not getting your basic nutrition right, it's not going to help your weight.

Most people seem to think keeping a food diary is crossing a Pathetic Line of some sort, and they think they can lose weight just by keeping to the portion sizes on food packages or making "better choices", without knowing how much they're eating total and how much they need (not just calories but nutrition). Most people would benefit from keeping a diary for even just a couple of weeks so they can actually SEE what their typical days look like. But most won't.

Way to contradict yourself.

You weren't eating too many calories before you kept a diary, but at the same time people need to keep a diary or they don't know how much they are eating.

Bull****. You ate too many calories. Bingeing and restricting is pretty typical overeating behavior.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I was aware of and savored every heavenly morsel. I kept telling myself I would make up for it later with exercise, or just pushed it to the back of my mind. Sometimes I figured "I'll be alone for the rest of my life anyway, so what's the point".

Experiment on your friends at work, watch what they eat for lunch, and then ask them what they ate the next day. Might be surprised.
  • FitterStrongerHappier
    Options

I see.

You want to make distinction between the scientific "more than your body needs to maintain homeostasis", and the ambiguous moral concept of gluttony.

You just forgot that science frees you from having to rely on morality when it comes to making choices that are essentially NOT ethical or moral dilemmas.

ahem. I never referenced morality. Just because a word has been used in a religious/moral context, doesn't mean it doesn't have a valid basis - as defined by merriam webster:
    Definition of GLUTTONY
    : excess in eating or drinking
    : greedy or excessive indulgence
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gluttony

And seriously? this is getting - or rather has gotten for some time - way out of hand. :noway: people talking about "Stop making Excuses" and this kind of argument are really pointless. No one is making excuses - not that I have seen. This is just crazy - just because someone says "simply eating a ton of food is not what made me fat, eating too much of the wrong kind of food did" all of a sudden, the 'holier than thou crowd' has to come out attacking such a simple fact. I swear, some people have nothing better to do than to stir the pot and pick a fight. Bullies abound... :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    1/10 for incorrectness

Did you give the 1 for using words?

No it got the 1 for uniqueness. I've never seen this particular argument before.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options

Way to contradict yourself.

You weren't eating too many calories before you kept a diary, but at the same time people need to keep a diary or they don't know how much they are eating.

Bull****. You ate too many calories. Bingeing and restricting is pretty typical overeating behavior.

What did I say in my post that makes you think I was bingeing?

I wasn't saying that I was not over *at all* before, just that I was actually not far from my current ballpark caloriewise. You don't have to be over much for it to start adding up. The point I was trying to make was that the number one useful thing I learned when I started diarizing was that I wasn't getting a good balance of macros. I have always gone for low-fat options in dairy and other foods, and used to avoid nuts and seeds, which I craved, thinking they would make me fat. Now I still eat low-fat dairy but eat nuts and seeds all the time for the healthy fats. And I still have to make an effort to get enough protein each day just at the defaults MFP recommends, so I know I was not getting nearly enough before. I was spinning my wheels without enough fat and protein, even if my calorie intake was moderate and my diet lean and mostly vegetarian.

To keep my post short, I chose not to get into the other health issues I mentioned, one of which was chronic pain which prevented exercising without the pain snowballing; I found a great chiro about a year ago that finally helped with that after two decades of misery. I started MFP as soon as I started walking for exercise again. The other issues included (among others) endocrine/adrenal damage, which I corrected myself by researching supplements, and years of chronic insomnia. Those two things started improving about 3 years ago, or 2 years before MFP. When those things started getting under control, I had a little more energy and a better appetite and did not find myself skipping meals as much. I lost about 6-7 lbs when those things improved, without making any other changes.

I'm not one of these people who had 50 or 100 or 200 lbs to lose, so I'm not trying to hold myself up as a prime example of anything. I'm at -22 now, and past my first two goals; not in a hurry for the stretch goal I have now. I'm happy with the habits and my pants size. And I feel it's all about the diary, because I didn't really know what I was getting out of my food until I started keeping one.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    What did I say in my post that makes you think I was bingeing

This

many days I would eat considerably less (sometimes forgetting to eat)