Fast Food; are there any heathy choices?

Options

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    No. No fast food places have anything that resembles whole natural foods. Start packing your own snacks, or TRY PALEO OR PRIMAL. I mean if you absolutely have to, some of those places will have salads, but the dressings themselves are loaded with preservatives and chemicals and sugar.

Best to just avoid them altogether, even Subway. None of them are good for your health in any way, shape, or form.

[edited to add: You could also stop at a regular grocery store!! They usually have salad bars or pre-made salads or rotisserie chickens that would be a much healthier and easy choice! My husband and I did that last weekend while in New Orleans... we couldn't find a decent place to get food in the area we were in, so we stopped at a Whole Foods and made up some meals from their food bar. Healthy, easy.]

I don't always have the time to prepare ahead of time. I do try to do that when I can but I am looking for options on those occassions when I'm just not as organized as I should be.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Processed deli meats are not healthy.

I have to say your replies are quite priceless sometimes. :drinker: The curing process (keyword PROCESS) for meats has been around for centuries. Otherwise the meat sold from butchers would turn grey in appearance. MMMmmm who doesnt like a nice fresh grey ribeye right? It also helps preserve the meat against bacteria and disease as food by its nature begins to spoil the moment it is harvested. Without any processes for preserving our food humans would have had a lot tougher time surviving.

Other methods of processing foods include: Freezing, Drying, Curing, Canning, Fermenting (cabbage/sourkraut)

So uhhh, I guess you eat your meat Bear Grylls style? Just bite into its neck while its still alive and suck the juices out? No need to reply, its a rhetorical. :flowerforyou:

Being around for centuries doesn't make something healthy. Freezing, Canning, cooking, etc. =/= processed deli meats.

We live on a farm and hunt our own meat but we don't eat everything fresh. Some amount of 'processing' is part of most people's diet. We can only do the best we each can. If you are able to completely avoid processed foods that is great. I wish more people could. I wish I could.

The Bear Gylls comment made me laugh by the way.

I never suggested cutting out all food processing or processed food. (Bear Gylis is a wuss. He is no Survivorman).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No. No fast food places have anything that resembles whole natural foods. Start packing your own snacks, or TRY PALEO OR PRIMAL. I mean if you absolutely have to, some of those places will have salads, but the dressings themselves are loaded with preservatives and chemicals and sugar.

Best to just avoid them altogether, even Subway. None of them are good for your health in any way, shape, or form.

[edited to add: You could also stop at a regular grocery store!! They usually have salad bars or pre-made salads or rotisserie chickens that would be a much healthier and easy choice! My husband and I did that last weekend while in New Orleans... we couldn't find a decent place to get food in the area we were in, so we stopped at a Whole Foods and made up some meals from their food bar. Healthy, easy.]

ZOMG! dressings loaded with chemicals? Can you give me some examples of the chemical free paleo or primal foods you eat?
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options

OMG. Seriously, if you could not find a good place to eat in New Orleans, you really just shouldn't go anywhere. New Orleans has AMAZING food
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Subway is the healthiest "fast food" joint.. every where else has chemically modified food.. NASTY

Processed deli meats are not healthy.

I have to say your replies are quite priceless sometimes. :drinker: The curing process (keyword PROCESS) for meats has been around for centuries. Otherwise the meat sold from butchers would turn grey in appearance. MMMmmm who doesnt like a nice fresh grey ribeye right? It also helps preserve the meat against bacteria and disease as food by its nature begins to spoil the moment it is harvested. Without any processes for preserving our food humans would have had a lot tougher time surviving.

Other methods of processing foods include: Freezing, Drying, Curing, Canning, Fermenting (cabbage/sourkraut)

So uhhh, I guess you eat your meat Bear Grylls style? Just bite into its neck while its still alive and suck the juices out? No need to reply, its a rhetorical. :flowerforyou:

*SLOW CLAP*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did that last weekend while in New Orleans... we couldn't find a decent place to get food in the area we were in

OMG. Seriously, if you could not find a good place to eat in New Orleans, you really just shouldn't go anywhere. New Orleans has AMAZING food

Wut.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You have to try really, really hard to get a bad meal in NOLA. The places that serve crappy food can't stay in business.

Hell, when in doubt just go to Popeye's or Church's. Those are everywhere.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Help-I-dont-know-what-to-eat-350x250.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options

Stopped reading at "nutrition studies, whose sole purpose seems to be to confuse people on a daily basis."

Gotta love when Harvard is publishing anti-intellectual fluff pieces.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Stopped reading at "nutrition studies, whose sole purpose seems to be to confuse people on a daily basis."

Great review, considering you stopped at the second sentence. :tongue:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Thanks. If my comment keeps one person from reading such an anti-science piece that panders to the reader by telling them they're too stupid to understand research and draw their own conclusions, I consider it a victory.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OK. I just skimmed through it. The article is totally full of nonsense, which I knew it would be from the second sentence.

Nuts are not protein sources; three-fourths of the calories in an almond are from fat. Saturated fat is not bad. Red meat is not bad. Just another stupid BS article that gives bad advice and focuses on demonizing "bad" food without actually giving any indication whatsoever that it's calories and nutrients that matter, not whether it's the right "type" of food.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Thanks. If my comment keeps one person from reading such an anti-science piece that panders to the reader by telling them they're too stupid to understand research and draw their own conclusions, I consider it a victory.

That's not what it says. It was blasting the media and it's inflammatory headlines. Magazines and shows like Dr. Oz. The article has references and links to studies for pretty much everything in the article. But it is also meant to be layman friendly and easy to understand for the general public. Not everyone does understand the clinical speak in research abstracts. Doesn't mean they are stupid.
  • jonnythan
    Options

That's not what it says. It was blasting the media and it's inflammatory headlines. Magazines and shows like Dr. Oz. The article has references and links to studies for pretty much everything in the article. But it is also meant to be layman friendly and easy to understand for the general public. Not everyone does understand the clinical speak in research abstracts. Doesn't mean they are stupid.

In one breath, it blasts both the media and science itself:

"But you wouldn’t know that from news reports on diet and nutrition studies"
  • bcattoes
    Options

In one breath, it blasts both the media and science itself:

You bolded the wrong part.

• guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken wraps
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Does anyone even care about sodium anymore?
    Also, I had Chipotle today. SOGOOD
    [/quote]

I watch my sodium. I make sure to get over the RDA. Since I am hypotensive I need more sodium than most or my bp runs way too low.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Subway is the healthiest "fast food" joint.. every where else has chemically modified food.. NASTY

Please tell me you are joking!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    if you could not find a good place to eat in New Orleans, you really just shouldn't go anywhere.

^ This. I'm a whole Foods lover and always scope out locations in cities before I go....except in New Orleans. In New Orleans you are allowed to eat absolutely anything, and none of it counts. It's written in their legal code. ;-)

(Note, please disregard if you live there and proceed to your local whole foods store or farmers market).
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Didn't stop me...actually I think it encouraged me. Thanks for the article bcattoes.