May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp for your perspective. This is all relatively new to me, so I like hearing from more experienced runners on their perspective and then I enjoy data and science from the link @7lenny7 provided. Good discussion.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Many marathon runners I know speak of "the wall" as something less than bonking, a fatigue level that occurs late in marathons, typically mile 20 or later. That's when we are compelled to slow down by cumulative muscle fatigue and lactic acid. I think everyone agrees that this commonly happens about mile 20 of a marathon run for a fast overall time, but there is disagreement as to whether this is called "the wall." When I ran my first marathon at Buffalo 2015, I spoke of hitting "a wall" around mile 18, but I didn't think it was severe enough to be "the wall." Now, I see "the wall" as a term much like "cross training," in that I don't know what it means to someone else unless I ask them.

This is how I've always heard it discussed as. Even in articles it seems to refer more to fatigue rather than falling down/unable to finish.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    10k on the 10th of May!

Super misty out this cool autumn morning - I had Keats rattling in my head the entire way... but I guess poetry makes a change from the usual mind chatter.

1 May: 11.64
    2 May: 6.0 + yoga
    3 May: 7.22
    4 May: Rest
    5 May: 6.6 + yoga
    6 May: 12.74
    7 May: yoga
    8 May: 6.72
    9 May: yoga
    10 May: 10.04

60.96 of 150km
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    We may disagree on what it means to Hit the Wall, but I think we can agree that we're talking about two distinctly different mechanisms here. Glycogen vs. muscle fatigue (vs. cramping if you want to add that as a cause).

While I do see gradually slowing down during the last few miles of a marathon due to muscle fatigue described as hitting the wall or bonking, I don't believe it's correct. Walls stop you, not slow you down.

@Stoshew71 had a really good post about this one time (as he often does with just about any running subject). I'll have to see if I can find it. He does such a great job describing the science behind running issues.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    You may be able to shuffle and probably walk, but anything that resembles running is likely out the window. More than likely you’ll feel dizzy or light-headed (a result of your brain not getting the glycogen it needs) and some runners feel nauseous

This little bit stood out from me in the article @7lenny7 posted. That is exactly how I feel when I push myself lately, even in short races. After my last trail race I was sooooo nauseous. I could walk. And forced myself to run across the finish line but that was probably a mistake. Once I eat real food (not gu or other mid-race fuel) it starts to diminish.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    We may disagree on what it means to Hit the Wall, but I think we can agree that we're talking about two distinctly different mechanisms here. Glycogen vs. muscle fatigue (vs. cramping if you want to add that as a cause).

While I do see gradually slowing down during the last few miles of a marathon due to muscle fatigue described as hitting the wall or bonking, I don't believe it's correct. Walls stop you, not slow you down.

@Stoshew71 had a really good post about this one time (as he often does with just about any running subject). I'll have to see if I can find it. He does such a great job describing the science behind running issues.

Yeah, I agree @7lenny7 - All of us Marathon runners know what crossing mile 20 means. Whether it is a wall or a bog, it is not my favorite part. :)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Absolutely. I’m looking at my calendar trying to see when I could fit in more events and checking postings either from people I was with that weekend or others in the community.

Everyone was really nice. Sometimes with this kind of thing you find there’s someone who brags about the fact that they’ve climbed Everest without Oxygen or were the first person ever to crawl commando style, naked, to the North Pole, but actually they weren’t like this. I carshared with one guy who ‘won the DaVinci class last year at Bognor Birdman’ (where you throw yourself off the pier into the sea and try and fly the furthest in a homemade contraption) and he was just passionate about winning again rather than bragging about it.

They just seemed genuinely people who mostly were actually quite happy to do a walk or camp on their own, but equally sometimes fancied meeting up with others to have an adventure. I look forward to more adventures with them.

I think that sounds like a great adventure!

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ok, I only thought yesterday’s run was bad. This one got aborted... later than it should have to avoid running back past some strange old guys who kept calling to me... but aborted none the less. Ankle apparently didn’t like the two days in a row thing, even if they were short.

1.5 today = 5/30
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 5.69 warm up + speed work
    5/2 – 6.21 group run
    5/3 – 7.08 warm up + speed work
    5/4 – rest day
    5/5 – 15.02 group run + solo miles
    5/6 – 5.01 trails & grass
    5/7 – rest day
    5/8 – 6.11 MP with hills
    5/9 – 7.07 group run without group

May running total to date – 52.19

Nominal May mileage goal: 180 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Build base. Maybe run some trails. Have fun.

Today's notes – Small group for the group run tonight, with only one leader. So he sent us on a familiar out and back along the Erie Canal Trail, with instructions where to turn back for 4, 5, or 6 miles. I took the 6 mile turnback, in the full advance knowledge that this was really almost 7 miles. I actually ran a tag extra on the end to ensure I'd break 7.

It was warm and sunny today. By the time the run started at 6, my watch was telling me it was down to 77º F (25º C). I knew the route, and I knew everyone else there would want to run at an uncomfortably slow pace for me, so I just set out to run the route solo. Tried to take it easy, but no one caught up. A mile to the canal path, and early on the path I noticed a HR of 140. Hmm. This is not weather to be working hard, and this is not a day to be training hard. So I made it an exercise of running the relatively flat canal path while trying to keep my HR at 135 or below. I wasn't 100% successful, but I did much better for the effort. Most of the run, I was looking at HR instead of pace.

Finished with an average HR of 133, max 143, average pace 7:43 per mile. There were no real hills, but I had to slow myself down on several inclines to keep the HR down. I was rewarded with feeling very good after running 7 miles in early summer weather. That's just what I needed after feeling a bit beat up from working harder than I intended to yesterday.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 41:33
    May 20, 2018 Lilac 10K (Rochester, NY)
    May 26, 2018 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY)
    June 3, 2018 USATF Masters Half Marathon (Ann Arbor, MI)
    June 9, 2018 Ontario Summit Trail Half Marathon (Naples, NY)
    June 17, 2018 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    June 30, 2018 Charlie's Old Goat Trail Run 5 mile (Victor, NY)
    July 28, 2018 Battle at Bristol 10K (Naples, NY)
    September 30, 2018 Wineglass Marathon (Bath, NY)
    November 11, 2018 Syracuse Half Marathon (Syracuse, NY)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,444 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Finished with an average HR of 133, max 143, average pace 7:43 per mile. There were no real hills, but I had to slow myself down on several inclines to keep the HR down.

You sir are superhuman!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    05/01/18 - 1/2 mile walk
    05/02/18 - 1 mile walk + 6.6 mile easy run
    05/03/18 - 1.3 mile walk
    05/04/18 - Rest
    05/05/18 - Steel Challange 5k
    05/06/18 - MARATHON PR! 3:51:53
    05/07/18 - Rest
    05/08/18 - 6 miles @ 9:28
    05/09/18 - 8 miles @ 9:09

05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)
    06/02/18 - South Fayette Glow Run - Nighttime 1 mile and 5k race
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Meant to timebox today's run to 1 hour, but ended up going over by like 15 mins. I am trying to remember I am in a second taper for my 50k on Saturday... TRYING. :lol:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen - Congratulations on your 1st Marathon! Fantastic time too!
    @RunsOnEspresso - The dizziness and nausea (mostly dizziness) on almost all runs including an almost DNF for a HM, is what led me to see the cardiologist. They ran tests and found nothing. My regular doctor said it sounded like hypoglycemia and suggested a nutritionist as did my daughter (also a doctor). The nutritionist ran more tests and found my cortisol levels to be extremely low... all the time low with none of the normal ups and downs. The conclusion was that I was under too much stress all the time - work, physical from the running and from not eating enough for many years. She modified my diet, how much I eat and when and for the most part I don't have too many issues any more as long as I eat properly. This is why I keep working so hard to get my calories up and my macros in line...
    @5BeautifulDays - I have a membership at Planet Fitness and yes it is very purple! I have it because it is close to the house (I could run there easily), it is cheap and I keep for when I want to run and it is yucky outside or if I am injured and need an alternative. The people working are pretty friendly and helpful - actually better than most bigger gyms I have been to. They really seem to want to encourage people to workout but they don't walk around giving guidance or anything like that. I also like it because it has SO many treadmills and other cardio machines, I have never had to wait for any.
    @mbaker566 - I would have completely freaked out if my pup had a mouthful of quills! Oh OUCH!
    @girlinahat - forget the ax murderers... were there s'mores around the campfire? :smiley:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Procrastinated for no good reason this morning and didn't get out until noon. Plan called for a 35min tempo run which seemed doable. It was over 70 when I headed out with a pretty good breeze blowing that made it feel cooler to me at least. I debated taking Hobbes the Vizsla and should've trusted my instincts and left him home. All was fine until we made the turn to come home and without the wind blowing in my face it immediately felt so hot. My legs also started complaining at this point about the pace and the affect of all the lunges the evening before at training. I realized when I stopped to get us a drink just how hot it was when Hobbes refused to sit and was doing a little dance with his paws :( after that I tried to keep him off the paved trail and on the dirt as much as possible and then on the sidewalks instead of the street going home. We hit a shady spot about a half mile from home and he just laid down so we hung out for a few minutes and then headed home slowly. He is fine now and was bouncing around the house like his crazy self not long after we got home. Lesson learned!
    5wmdjhbfjri4.jpg

Date........Miles.......Total
    05/01......0.00.......0.00 - + Strength Training
    05/02......5.41.......5.41
    05/03......0.00.......5.41
    05/04......3.88.......9.29
    05/05......6.38.....15.67 - 'Cinco de My Oh My Miles' 5k + Dog Beach run
    05/06......0.00.....15.67
    05/07......5.42.....21.09 - + Agility
    05/08......0.00.....21.09 - + Strength Training
    05/09......5.14.....26.23

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/05/18 - Cinco de Miles 5k

07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    12/15/18 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/03/19 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/11/19 - Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @girlinahat - forget the ax murderers... were there s'mores around the campfire? :smiley:

I have never eaten a s'more.

There. Confession over.

But you'll be pleased to know we DID toast marshmallows (although the person delegated took the wrong approach, putting them in the flames (charred outer and cold inner) rather than in the embers. You just can't teach everyone. ;)
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Plan for tomorrow is for the whole family to join me on my run. Thing 1 on his scooter, Thing 2 on his tricycle (with stroller attachment) and husband on rollerblades, pushing Thing 2. Should be entertaining...

Sounds like great fun! My now 3yr old got his first bling last year, doing the minimil in Stockholm, and is constantly trying to come running with me! ☺️