May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Is anyone in the UK running the Derby HM this Saturday, June 3? I haven't noticed that race on anyone's upcoming racing schedule, but didn't know if I missed somebody.
    The reason I ask, is my twin brother is over there in the UK on business, and since the race starts about a mile from his hotel, he decided to register and race.
    He is alone in a strange (different, not weird ;) ) country, so it would be cool if anyone of our MFP friends could find him and give him a hug for me and wish him luck and know he has support.
    I know it's a long shot, but was just curious if there was anyone going to that race.
    Thanks.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes I bet you nailed your protein goal. I wonder how many calories were in the bugs?

I think there's actually an entry in mfp for bugs. :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @sarahthes I bet you nailed your protein goal. I wonder how many calories were in the bugs?

Kind of hard to measure serving size after the fact though? What 1 swallow = 1 serving? :lol:
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Back on the treadmill this morning. I did what I think is referred to as a “ladder” - kept bumping the pace up one notch every 5 minutes until it no longer felt easy/comfortable, then backed down in the same increments. It made the run so much less boring! I did 3.6 miles in 50 minutes, including my warm up. Felt pretty good with that.

May goal: 40.0 miles
    Today: 3.60 miles
    Total so far: 30.10 miles
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles
    5/4: 5.6 miles
    5/6: 12.5 miles
    5/8: 4.1 miles
    5/9: 4.1 miles
    5/10: 3.2 miles
    5/13: 8 miles
    5/15: 2.6 miles
    5/16: 2.6 miles
    5/17: 2 miles
    5/19: 13.1 miles
    5/22: 3.2 miles
    5/23: 3.2 miles
    5/24: 3.5 miles
    5/29: 5 miles

84.5/85 miles completed

I am just shy of my goal for this month. I wasn't sure what to set my goal at since I wasn't sure how much running I would get in after the HM plus I knew we would be having some vacation at the end of the month. I guess I did a pretty good job of guessing.

I had a great run this morning. It was nice to just run without a set distance goal that I "had" to meet. It was already hot at 77F, but the forecast says 102F for the high today. (Today should actually be the coolest day this week). And 77F really isn't that bad especially when the sun isn't beating down on you. I got up a little earlier thanks to my dog, and I was able to run a little further than I thought I would. I needed it too. We took the holiday/my husband's birthday weekend off and went to visit our daughter in Round Rock. Then when we got home our son and his girlfriend had come down from Denton so this weekend there was lots of eating out, barbecuing and more alcohol than usual. I really felt bloated and definitely felt like I had over eaten each day. I also missed my long run this weekend. It was a nice little vacation, but it is nice to get back to the usual routine. It did take me a while to get caught up on this thread, so I will just say "great job" to all who raced this weekend!

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    This morning was my first time running in the daylight in the heat since I've been back! Whew! A dripping wet older lady passed me running the other direction and said, "It's a little bit humid today, isn't it?" Yes, yes it was. Also we saw a very pretty water snake on one of the bridges. We have seen a snake literally every time we have gone to the Greenline since the weather got warm. They like to sun themselves on the asphalt.

Ran 5k in 33 and change, not too bad considering. My knee is puffy but not painful. I'm hoping the Ortho will agree to drain it again soon. He doesn't want to do it too often because of the risk of infection, but at this point the pressure from the synovial fluid is what's making it irritated, which is making it produce more synovial fluid, and so on.

exercise.png
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    No running yesterday or today (well most of it). My right knee is feeling kinda weird. May squeak by the month goal (220mi), might not. No biggie. I put in some good weeks. I’ll get back to the mileage targets. But maybe after 1 lighter week.

But I’m joining 20-30 people tonight at midnight on a run up to a 12,000ft mtn summit (17mi, 5k ft climb). Watch the sunrise then run back. It’s going to be around 25F at top. While the low in the Vegas valley 40min away is 76F.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I saw an asthma and allergy doc this morning.

I am allergic to mesquite tree. Only like one of the most popular trees here. Nothing else came up but he thinks I have more allergies but because they are nasal base they won't show on skin test.

Asthma is actually doing well but I have vocal chord dysfunction which may be my issue with dizziness while running.

I also got an order for a blood test for bees and wasps because I once had a reaction and apparently avoiding wasps is not a good plan. He also is having an epi pen sent to take on runs/hikes. Just in case.

I got a medicine with advair plus something for vocal chord dysfunction. Albuterol. And have to start flonase scentamist.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    On the topic of packs and such... I have a Nathan brand vest (water bottles in the front, pack in the back; but it can hold a hydration bladder in the back too if I want). I also have an Osprey vest that only holds a bladder, and no space for bottles in front.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm not comfortable being more than 1 hr. away from my glucometer (if my CGM is not reading well, I want to be even closer). And I always carry glucose tablets even if for only 10 min. The glucose tablets fit in the pocket of my Nathan hand-strap water bottle. The meter will not fit along with glucose tablets. I've tried running with a 2nd hand-strap bottle, and that doesn't work well to have bottles in both hands.

Since some races do not allow hydration packs / backpacks, I've been looking for an armband zippered pouch that is big enough to fit my glucometer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would need to be approximately 4 in. X 3 in. X 1 in. and of course I anticipate it to be a soft shell case because it would be on an armband. Thanks in advance!

Would it be possible to get an exception for races? What about the spibelt, or something similar?
    On the topic of packs and such... I have a Nathan brand vest (water bottles in the front, pack in the back; but it can hold a hydration bladder in the back too if I want). I also have an Osprey vest that only holds a bladder, and no space for bottles in front.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm not comfortable being more than 1 hr. away from my glucometer (if my CGM is not reading well, I want to be even closer). And I always carry glucose tablets even if for only 10 min. The glucose tablets fit in the pocket of my Nathan hand-strap water bottle. The meter will not fit along with glucose tablets. I've tried running with a 2nd hand-strap bottle, and that doesn't work well to have bottles in both hands.

Since some races do not allow hydration packs / backpacks, I've been looking for an armband zippered pouch that is big enough to fit my glucometer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would need to be approximately 4 in. X 3 in. X 1 in. and of course I anticipate it to be a soft shell case because it would be on an armband. Thanks in advance!

Not an arm-band, but I have a little Nathan waist pouch that would fit a meter, strips, and glucose tablets perfectly. Similar to this one, but mine is a couple of years old. It stretches out to fit my phone. It could probably hold a meter *and* a phone, if neither were giant-sized.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Mirage-Waist-Pack-Cockatoo/dp/B01K4BJD9I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527542823&sr=8-7&keywords=nathan+waist+pack

ETA: And I agree with @Elise4270 , you should be able to get an exception (reasonable accommodation) if you need a pack for your supplies.

I did email the RD and they said a small waist pack would be alright, but no bags. I really prefer an armband over a waist pack / fanny pack. It just feels better and doesn't slip so much as I run. I'm going to get by with a 2nd phone armband this time (it will fit a bit awkward, but will make do). Still would like to find a zippered armband pouch at some point.

BAH. What is the problem with backpacks? I mean I get no strollers, and what not. But backpacks? Seriously?

I have a feeling it is because of the issue in Boston. The part that bothers me most is that there is no information about that anywhere. I was at another race recently and was talking to someone before-hand who had signed up for this too. I mentioned the diabetes thing and how for a longer race like that, I would carry my meter in a hydration vest pack. He is the one who first told me there would not be any packs allowed and said he had been emailing with the RD about it. I double-checked the website and there is no information about that anywhere... so I emailed the RD to confirm and even explained the reason I wanted to carry a hydration vest. The response was that backpacks and hydration vests would not be allowed but a "small" waist pack would be fine.

Oh well... I need to figure that out for other races with similar circumstances in the future. Would definitely like to find a zippered bicep pouch for it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Kind of hard to measure serving size after the fact though? What 1 swallow = 1 serving? :lol:

I just spit them back out... and I don't usually have much saliva left this time of year, lol.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    ... not sure if getting up earlier will help all that much. I was out the door at 5:30am Saturday and I lost 8 lbs. :*

Seriously? 8 pounds? I "ran" yesterday and gained 2.5. I don't think I sweat, just bloat. :frowning:

My pr is 12lb during an ultra training run. Hello dehydration! I will say that post run I try to get back a good amount of it by re fueling. By that evening, I got back 8.
    My sweat rate is ridiculous though. Sometimes a little embarrassing at the gym when someone is on the Tm next to me, my sweat often flings from running to their Tm. :#

I discovered last weekend that I sort of spit sweat when it's especially warm out - my face sweats a lot (more than the rest of me, it seems, but who knows) and my breath was blowing drops out in front of me. Great...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I saw an asthma and allergy doc this morning.

I am allergic to mesquite tree. Only like one of the most popular trees here. Nothing else came up but he thinks I have more allergies but because they are nasal base they won't show on skin test.

Asthma is actually doing well but I have vocal chord dysfunction which may be my issue with dizziness while running.

I also got an order for a blood test for bees and wasps because I once had a reaction and apparently avoiding wasps is not a good plan. He also is having an epi pen sent to take on runs/hikes. Just in case.

I got a medicine with advair plus something for vocal chord dysfunction. Albuterol. And have to start flonase scentamist.

Go slower than usual until you know how the Albuterol is going to affect you while running - my husband has to be careful about when he takes it, because if he takes it too close to a hard run, it gives him heart palpitations.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 6miles
    5/2 9.92miles
    5/3 6miles
    5/4 12miles
    5/5 6miles
    5/6 rest
    5/7 6.5miles
    5/8 6miles
    5/9 7miles
    5/10 8miles
    5/11 5miles
    5/12 14.11miles!
    5/13 rest
    5/14 5.75miles
    5/15 6miles
    5/16 9.84miles
    5/17 6miles
    5/18 13.1miles!
    5/19 6miles
    5/20 rest
    5/21 6.34miles
    5/22 6miles
    5/23 8miles
    5/24 7.91miles
    5/25 14miles
    5/26 6miles
    5/27 rest
    5/28 5k Run to Remember race!
    5/29 6miles

6 treadmill miles this morning. It wasn't too bad other than feeling super hot and sweaty. My treadmill has a little fan and the room the treadmill is in has a ceiling fan, but it does not feel breezy at all. I was thinking I should invest in one of those big box fans to blow at myself when I have to run on the treadmill.

I'm not going to lie, I've been searching for another race to run. October seems like a long way to go before doing another race!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K

10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Back on the treadmill this morning. I did what I think is referred to as a “ladder” - kept bumping the pace up one notch every 5 minutes until it no longer felt easy/comfortable, then backed down in the same increments. It made the run so much less boring! I did 3.6 miles in 50 minutes, including my warm up. Felt pretty good with that.

I do the same sort of thing only by tenths of a mile or every minute or every quarter of a mile... anything to make it more interesting :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

I do the same sort of thing only by tenths of a mile or every minute or every quarter of a mile... anything to make it more interesting :smile:

i do it per block. one block a little faster than the next. then, slow back down. repeat
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Would it be possible to get an exception for races? What about the spibelt, or something similar?

Not an arm-band, but I have a little Nathan waist pouch that would fit a meter, strips, and glucose tablets perfectly. Similar to this one, but mine is a couple of years old. It stretches out to fit my phone. It could probably hold a meter *and* a phone, if neither were giant-sized.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Mirage-Waist-Pack-Cockatoo/dp/B01K4BJD9I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527542823&sr=8-7&keywords=nathan+waist+pack

ETA: And I agree with @Elise4270 , you should be able to get an exception (reasonable accommodation) if you need a pack for your supplies.

I did email the RD and they said a small waist pack would be alright, but no bags. I really prefer an armband over a waist pack / fanny pack. It just feels better and doesn't slip so much as I run. I'm going to get by with a 2nd phone armband this time (it will fit a bit awkward, but will make do). Still would like to find a zippered armband pouch at some point.

BAH. What is the problem with backpacks? I mean I get no strollers, and what not. But backpacks? Seriously?

I have a feeling it is because of the issue in Boston. The part that bothers me most is that there is no information about that anywhere. I was at another race recently and was talking to someone before-hand who had signed up for this too. I mentioned the diabetes thing and how for a longer race like that, I would carry my meter in a hydration vest pack. He is the one who first told me there would not be any packs allowed and said he had been emailing with the RD about it. I double-checked the website and there is no information about that anywhere... so I emailed the RD to confirm and even explained the reason I wanted to carry a hydration vest. The response was that backpacks and hydration vests would not be allowed but a "small" waist pack would be fine.

Oh well... I need to figure that out for other races with similar circumstances in the future. Would definitely like to find a zippered bicep pouch for it.

not an arm pack but i run with the buckle in front and find no bouncing or chafing, and i really like this one. i've bought a second one when my last one died after a few years
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 mile group speed/track workout, then upper body weights / abs.
    5/2 - Overslept...unplanned rest day.
    5/3 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek Class.
    5/4 - Nada. Again. :neutral:
    5/5 - 4.75 mile group run.
    5/6 - Baseball tournament and yard work.
    5/7 - 5.25 miles.
    5/8 - 4.5 miles.
    5/9 - 3.5 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    5/10 - 5 miles. Beautiful morning for a run.
    5/11 - Pre Relay rest day.
    5/12 - Market to Market Relay. Leg 4 - 4.88 miles, Leg 11 - 4.02 miles, Leg 18 / team finish - 4.13 miles.
    5/13 - Mothers' Day!
    5/14 - Unplanned rest day.
    5/15 - 5 miles.
    5/16 - 3.17 miles. Shorter than planned due to too many snooze bar hits.
    5/17 - 5 treadmill miles / Trek Class, then upper body weights and abs.
    5/18 to 5/21 - Family illness + baseball tournament + well-child visits for kids = no exercise and bad diet. Ugh!
    5/22 - 4.8 miles. Muggy out, but nice run.
    5/23 - 4 mile "hill" run.
    5/24 - Unplanned rest day.
    5/25 - 4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights and abs.
    5/26 - 6.2 mile "long" run. Glad I got it in early.
    5/27 - Rest day for family funeral and related travel.
    5/28 - 2.25 treadmill miles and quick upper body weights.
    5/29 - 5 miles. The humidity is crazy...is it July?

84.45/120 (no way will I hit this now)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Probably depends on if it had bitten someone already... pretty sure they were both mosquitoes.

I was practically drowning in bug spray but it made no difference. I think the local mosquitoes consider DEET to be mayonnaise.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Probably depends on if it had bitten someone already... pretty sure they were both mosquitoes.

I was practically drowning in bug spray but it made no difference. I think the local mosquitoes consider DEET to be mayonnaise.

They don't seem to be any different here. I sprayed yesterday and had 2 bites 10 minutes later. I used the 15% DEET sweat proof. I usually use the 25 with little problem, not sweat proof. And we have 40% just in case I wanna poison myself good. Haha!