May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    ... not sure if getting up earlier will help all that much. I was out the door at 5:30am Saturday and I lost 8 lbs. :*

Seriously? 8 pounds? I "ran" yesterday and gained 2.5. I don't think I sweat, just bloat. :frowning:

I can easily lose 3-6 pounds an hour running in the summer. I literally have to tighten my hydration belt more than once or it will fall off. It is all water weight so I pretty much drink it back by bedtime.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yep @ROBOTFOOD, that's me too. I usually look like I just came out of a swimming pool after a summer run. Pretty sure 8lb loss is the most I've seen post run in recent memory. I just don't like to carry that much water with me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Yep @ROBOTFOOD, that's me too. I usually look like I just came out of a swimming pool after a summer run. Pretty sure 8lb loss is the most I've seen post run in recent memory. I just don't like to carry that much water with me.

I carry 40-48 oz of water and often have refill stops. When I come in from a run... it could be a clear and sunny day, but people ask if I got caught in a thunderstorm. :lol:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

I usually rock my Ultimate Direction hydration vest with 1-3 16oz bottles for trail runs over 13mi. Or if it’s over 100f. I hate carrying it, but it’s a must in Vegas. Or you can set up a drop mid run with stuff to fuel up with.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

I carry 40-48 oz of water and often have refill stops. When I come in from a run... it could be a clear and sunny day, but people ask if I got caught in a thunderstorm. :lol:

Yup. With salt lines everywhere. :D
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    QUESTION: Is there anything besides a meniscus tear that would cause a knee to pop or catch or lock? Asking for a friend...

:/:/:/

The only thing I am aware of is arthritis - I have and have had for a very long time, arthritis in both knees and they pop/crack all the time. Have never had a knee lock though other than from my meniscus tear.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Speaking of water...at @JessicaMcB 's suggestion I recently ordered a Wunjo X5 Ultra - Advanced Hydration Backpack, 10+1,5 L - now I have to camp out by the mailbox and wait for it to come.

0gzxjjz0hnmj.png

At $60 it seems like a steal of a price!

I have been eyeing that as well; you will have to post a review once you get it. My fuel belt does not hold enough water to get me thru more than about 5K when it's really hot and most of my routes don't take me past somewhere I can refill.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - We had a close friend who was allergic (severely) to the wash most restaurants and stores use on fruits and veggies to keep them 'fresh'. They found it was on lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, etc. If he ate those foods out at a restaurant he would end up in the hospital but from a family garden he was just fine.
    @ContraryMaryMary - Beautiful picture!
    @RunsOnEspresso - love your picture too! I also often look like I am walking in my pictures.
    @zdyb23456 - Awesome race and love the pictures!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary I agree with everyone - that is a fantastic photo.
    @ROBOTFOOD We have a Scotish Fellow in our little club who is nicknamed Pool. For the Pool of sweat that collects around him, in spin class it's like a small lake slowly spreading away from his position.
    Like you I have major salt lines on my gear after an event. I even have one shirt with a permanent discoloration at one of the salt lines. I wear it as a mark of how much effort went into an event.
    @PastorVincent Good looking bag, I like the look of the collapsible bottles with short tubes and bite valves that they have in their product line.
    @zdyb23456 - Great Race pictures! I like that you can see athletes in the background against the trees.

I need to get comfortable with my hydration backpack for these Trail HM's I am starting to do more of. Especially since I just destroyed my Hand Bottle. I have an Osprey as its the only one I found at the local retailers big enough for the Gorilla that I am. I also bought a 2nd smaller 1L bladder that I will load with Tailwind or some other similar electrolyte/fuel based liquid and straight water in the 2L bladder. Have the hose's coming out opposite shoulders with differant color marking on the Bite valves.

Personal recommendation based on a Hydration Bladder I use for Back Packing/Hiking is to keep a spare Bite valve in your Race day Kit/drop bag. Nothing like finding your valve is leaking the night before an event.

Loaded my washing machine with running gear and assorted items last night, this morning it sits full of water doing nothing :s Time for a little Internet investigation and decision of repair or replace.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Ugh, broken washing machines are the worst. We just replaced ours in February.

However the most likely cause for not draining is the drain pump. It's really easy for the hose to the pump to get clogged with socks (or a dishcloth in one case at our place). The clog can be at either end of the hose or, if you are really unlucky, inside the pump itself. It's an easy fix but damp. Have a bucket handy as well as some towels!

The drain pump can also die but I hear that's a fairly easy fix if you can source a replacement.

A clogged hose is a repair we did many times (small kids = small socks = easier to escape). We didn't have to replace the machine until the other motor (I think for the agitator?) blew.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

Yup. With salt lines everywhere. :D

Yep! LOL. If I wait till I cool off and dry before showering it feels like I am covered in beach sand! :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I have been eyeing that as well; you will have to post a review once you get it. My fuel belt does not hold enough water to get me thru more than about 5K when it's really hot and most of my routes don't take me past somewhere I can refill.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Good looking bag, I like the look of the collapsible bottles with short tubes and bite valves that they have in their product line.

I also ordered two of their bigger water bottles :

2rcnvkk6iccd.png

But not with the straws. I am not sure about the bottles but figured I get them since they pushed me into free shipping. :)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Loot at you @sarahthes ! Mrs fix it! *Knuckles*
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    On the topic of packs and such... I have a Nathan brand vest (water bottles in the front, pack in the back; but it can hold a hydration bladder in the back too if I want). I also have an Osprey vest that only holds a bladder, and no space for bottles in front.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm not comfortable being more than 1 hr. away from my glucometer (if my CGM is not reading well, I want to be even closer). And I always carry glucose tablets even if for only 10 min. The glucose tablets fit in the pocket of my Nathan hand-strap water bottle. The meter will not fit along with glucose tablets. I've tried running with a 2nd hand-strap bottle, and that doesn't work well to have bottles in both hands.

Since some races do not allow hydration packs / backpacks, I've been looking for an armband zippered pouch that is big enough to fit my glucometer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would need to be approximately 4 in. X 3 in. X 1 in. and of course I anticipate it to be a soft shell case because it would be on an armband. Thanks in advance!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I will have to find my terrible race photos tomorrow. Mine are dreadful.

I did an easy 3 today to see how my knee behaved. No locking or popping or anything. So far, no pain either... So. Weird.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    QUESTION: Is there anything besides a meniscus tear that would cause a knee to pop or catch or lock? Asking for a friend...

:/:/:/

The only thing I am aware of is arthritis - I have and have had for a very long time, arthritis in both knees and they pop/crack all the time. Have never had a knee lock though other than from my meniscus tear.

Mine is definitely arthritic. I'd say it's more like a catch than a lock...it never truly freezes, just catches. Ah well, it's worth a visit any way.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    05/02/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 6.1
    05/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 8.7
    05/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.7
    05/05/18 :::: 7.5 :::: 16.2
    05/06/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 18.8
    05/07/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 22.5
    05/08/18 :::: 3.3 :::: 25.9
    05/09/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 29.1
    05/10/18 :::: 2.0 :::: 31.1
    05/11/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 31.1
    05/12/18 :::: 12.0 :::: 43.0
    05/13/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 43.0
    05/14/18 :::: 3.9 :::: 46.9
    05/15/18 :::: 3.9 :::: 50.8
    05/16/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 53.9
    05/17/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 53.9
    05/18/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 56.7
    05/19/18 :::: 7.4 :::: 64.0
    05/20/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 66.6
    05/21/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 70.2
    05/22/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 73.3
    05/23/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 76.1
    05/24/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 76.1
    05/25/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 79.2
    05/26/18 :::: 8.1 :::: 87.2
    05/27/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 92.3
    05/28/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 95.1

Whew, that was like running in a sauna. There was a downpour right before I was supposed to meet my friend and I hoped that would cool things off but it seemed to only add to the humidity. 30 minutes was all we could stand.