May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    On the topic of packs and such... I have a Nathan brand vest (water bottles in the front, pack in the back; but it can hold a hydration bladder in the back too if I want). I also have an Osprey vest that only holds a bladder, and no space for bottles in front.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm not comfortable being more than 1 hr. away from my glucometer (if my CGM is not reading well, I want to be even closer). And I always carry glucose tablets even if for only 10 min. The glucose tablets fit in the pocket of my Nathan hand-strap water bottle. The meter will not fit along with glucose tablets. I've tried running with a 2nd hand-strap bottle, and that doesn't work well to have bottles in both hands.

Since some races do not allow hydration packs / backpacks, I've been looking for an armband zippered pouch that is big enough to fit my glucometer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would need to be approximately 4 in. X 3 in. X 1 in. and of course I anticipate it to be a soft shell case because it would be on an armband. Thanks in advance!

Would it be possible to get an exception for races? What about the spibelt, or something similar?
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    Options
    MAY GOALS, REHAB SMART, 10 hours of activity for the month. Work up to 3 minutes of running and 10mpw. 

4---30 minutes stationary bike.
    4---68 minutes, 3.46 miles walk
    5---30 minutes bike, 7.25 miles
    5---22 minutes, 1.70 miles PT run 15(1,1)
    7---20 minutes, 1.44 miles (2,2)
    8---30 minutes, 2.14 miles 7(2,2)
    11---30 min mtn bike, 4.29
    12---30 min 2.35 miles PT run (2,2 ish)
    12---30 min bike, 6.61 miles
    12---80 min walk, 4.5 miles
    15---64 min, 4.62 5(2,1-3,2-2,1) PT run
    17---65 minute walk, 3.45 miles
    18---28 min swim
    18---60 min walk, 2.92 mi
    18---46 minutes, 6.25 miles mtn bike
    20---65 min, 4.72 miles 5(2:1,3:2, 2:1) PT run
    23--- 57 min, 2.76 min walk
    24---43 min mtn bike ride, 5.93 miles.
    25---66 min, 4.75 miles 5(2:1,3:2, 2:1) PT run
    27---43 min, 6.61 miles mtn bike
    27---66 min, 4.53 miles 5(2:1,2:3, 2:1) PT run
    28---73 min, 4.39 miles Ridiculously hard. I love it when Garmin says I'm "unproductive". Thanks pal.

1008 minutes/47.73 miles

Upcoming Races
    June 1 GOTR 5K
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance
    April 28, 2019OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    On the topic of packs and such... I have a Nathan brand vest (water bottles in the front, pack in the back; but it can hold a hydration bladder in the back too if I want). I also have an Osprey vest that only holds a bladder, and no space for bottles in front.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm not comfortable being more than 1 hr. away from my glucometer (if my CGM is not reading well, I want to be even closer). And I always carry glucose tablets even if for only 10 min. The glucose tablets fit in the pocket of my Nathan hand-strap water bottle. The meter will not fit along with glucose tablets. I've tried running with a 2nd hand-strap bottle, and that doesn't work well to have bottles in both hands.

Since some races do not allow hydration packs / backpacks, I've been looking for an armband zippered pouch that is big enough to fit my glucometer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would need to be approximately 4 in. X 3 in. X 1 in. and of course I anticipate it to be a soft shell case because it would be on an armband. Thanks in advance!

Not an arm-band, but I have a little Nathan waist pouch that would fit a meter, strips, and glucose tablets perfectly. Similar to this one, but mine is a couple of years old. It stretches out to fit my phone. It could probably hold a meter *and* a phone, if neither were giant-sized.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Mirage-Waist-Pack-Cockatoo/dp/B01K4BJD9I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527542823&sr=8-7&keywords=nathan+waist+pack

ETA: And I agree with @Elise4270 , you should be able to get an exception (reasonable accommodation) if you need a pack for your supplies.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Hi Y'all. I have tried to catch up on the posts but, y'all know how that is. I disappeared for a bit due to depression, weight gain, hurt leg, horrible veins....blah blah blah. Anyway, I got my carp back together and I'll be hanging out for a bit! I posted on Facebook about getting a free treadmill. Thank goodness, because it is supposed to be 107 on Saturday. I did get up early and go for a bike ride. I am finally getting comfortable enough that I might start riding in a group. Well, I'll just stalk here until June opens then I'll post a goal! Hope you all had a great spring with lots of fun races!

Yay! I've missed you! Congratulations on the cycling! I am no where near ready to ride with a group. This heat is rough. Glad you got the TM!
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It rained unexpectedly this morning, so waited as heard some thunder and wasn’t sure if it was going to storm. We were at the camper this weekend, so read and watched the rain. Went out right after as felt breezy, but once out on the road it was humid. It’s downhill for the most part to the lake, but the way back is a climb or a bigger climb. Decided to go for the smaller of the two as it was still a challenge. Really happy with the progress this weekend. Rest day tomorrow as soccer game after work.

5/23 - 5 miles
    5/25 - 4 miles walk
    5/26 - 6.5 miles
    5/27 - 3 miles
    5/28 - 3.5 miles

Total 51.5 miles run/70.5 goal
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Would it be possible to get an exception for races? What about the spibelt, or something similar?

Not an arm-band, but I have a little Nathan waist pouch that would fit a meter, strips, and glucose tablets perfectly. Similar to this one, but mine is a couple of years old. It stretches out to fit my phone. It could probably hold a meter *and* a phone, if neither were giant-sized.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Mirage-Waist-Pack-Cockatoo/dp/B01K4BJD9I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527542823&sr=8-7&keywords=nathan+waist+pack

ETA: And I agree with @Elise4270 , you should be able to get an exception (reasonable accommodation) if you need a pack for your supplies.

I did email the RD and they said a small waist pack would be alright, but no bags. I really prefer an armband over a waist pack / fanny pack. It just feels better and doesn't slip so much as I run. I'm going to get by with a 2nd phone armband this time (it will fit a bit awkward, but will make do). Still would like to find a zippered armband pouch at some point.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Loot at you @sarahthes ! Mrs fix it! *Knuckles*

LOL well I paid someone $100 to remove a baby sock from the drain hose once... then my husband and I googled how to fix it ourselves the next time it happened.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    eUXem8.png

1HK2m8.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @seanevan10 so sorry to hear what you have gone through, but great to hear you are making a comeback!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    While the hills were a killer to climb, it did mean we had some stunning views across the harbour from the cliff tops in yesterday's trail run.

Were you at the Xterra Aukland? I have a pal who ran that exact race, saw an almost identical photo in his feed. I was like, hmmmm where have I seen that coastline (and white fence, and bib design)? The guy is a beast, came in 13th in his AG. Said it was an awesome race.

Yes, well spotted. I did the mid distance -10k, and it was a great, and very hilly course. The long and super long courses were particularly challenging in places (and I think they may have also gotten rained on!)

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Quick morning run :)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    6/2 Solidarność Half Marathon
    6/30 Silesian Highland [trail] Half Marathon
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k

@midwesterner85 my only thought is that the fanny-pack style bags seem to bother me less when I turn them around and wear them behind me. You may have already tried that, though. And your 2-armband idea might work, too.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I did email the RD and they said a small waist pack would be alright, but no bags. I really prefer an armband over a waist pack / fanny pack. It just feels better and doesn't slip so much as I run. I'm going to get by with a 2nd phone armband this time (it will fit a bit awkward, but will make do). Still would like to find a zippered armband pouch at some point.

BAH. What is the problem with backpacks? I mean I get no strollers, and what not. But backpacks? Seriously?
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    5 easy this am.

BAH. What is the problem with backpacks? I mean I get no strollers, and what not. But backpacks? Seriously?
    my guess is it's a security issue. I don't believe it should.

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I saw an increase in no backpacks after Boston but thought it died down. I would not sign up for a race that I couldn't bring my pack to. I keep my car fob and id in there as well. The waist pack I have doesn't fit my phone. And they don't hold enough liquid for me for longer runs.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    LOL well I paid someone $100 to remove a baby sock from the drain hose once... then my husband and I googled how to fix it ourselves the next time it happened.
    Yes Dr. Google is great for some things and saving money is always worth a check.
    My washing machine - temporarily - jury rig fix. The lid switch case has plastic tabs that hold it together - they were broken which means that switch was not sitting properly so the switch was never closed which means the power to the cycle timer is cutoff. Wrapped a plastic Ty-wrap around it and tightened it up to close the case and it works.

@ContraryMaryMary Aukland, NZ? I spent a week in the area in the late 80's when I was a young(er) man traveling the South Pacific. Wasn't into running then but did lots of day hikes exploring the country.

@PastorVincent Hope the leg wobble clears up - 3 yrs ago when I strained my calf I found if I slowed down my run to ~ 6:30-7:00/km it would warmup and stretch out and after 2k I could start to build pace again.

@midwesterner85 Like PV I understand No Strollers, no pets. I wonder if the RD is referring to larger backpacks rather than Runners Race bags? Yes you should definitely get a race exemption - Emergency Medical supplies is all you should need to mention, especially since you have a proven race history and the supplies are a Just in Case.
    My brother has allergies so he carries 2 Epipens and some antihistamine tablets- not the thing you want in a water-bottle case, armband or small waist pack. Especially after my experience where I fell and destroyed my handheld water-bottle by landing on it.

Rest-recovery yesterday will see how the quads like running hills tonight.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    stupid peroneal tendonitis and hypersomnia and myalgia

walking at lunch. heat and humid

5/1-0mi
    5/2-0mi
    5/3-0mi
    5/4-0mi (but we hiked 4+mi)
    5/5-13.13 mi
    5/6-1.78 mi (5+mi hike+porcupine)
    5/7-0mi
    5/8-0mi
    5/9-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/10-maybe get a few in tonight, getting itchy. outer ankles still hurt
    5/11-stupid ankle
    5/12-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/13-1.9mi rough run.
    5/14-nope-lawn mowed
    5/15-3.06 mi
    5/16-1.2mi (2 hours aerial yoga)
    5/17- (1 hour aerial yoga)
    5/18-rest
    5/19-(2 hours aerial yoga)
    5/20-5.2mi lots of rain
    5/21-rest
    5/22-push mower lawn mowed
    5/23-1.51 mi(1 hour aerial yoga)
    5/24-(1 hour aerial yoga)
    5/25-maybe
    5/26-1.21mi (4 hours of aerial yoga/aerial hoop)
    5/27-1.42mi
    5/28-3.17mi (forgot water so cut the run short. i might have been able to keep going but the dogs needed water
    5/29-nothing yet

exercise.png