May 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    Well, my running month continues to be awesome at the halfway point - and as a bonus this morning my husband joined me for the first time! He only stuck with me for the first few minutes and walked part of that, but I feel really proud of him for starting. He insists that he hates running but is going to do it anyhow since it's good for him, which I don't understand at all but to each their own. It was a little bit awkward figuring out pacing while we were together - I was trying to keep to my usual pace but ended up a little slower than usual, he was trying to go faster than me at first, and he's almost a foot taller than me so who even knows. I'm sure we'll work out the kinks if he sticks with it (fingers crossed).

This is relatable. My husband and I have agreed that when we go running together, we actually don't. We start in the same spot, and then head off in different directions. Or we go in the same direction, but he walks the dog and I run. We both turn around at an agreed upon time and head back to the starting point. We can't seem to get on the same page as far as pace, and it just makes it less enjoyable for both of us. We then go out for coffee, lunch, or a beer, depending on time of day. :)

Same here. SO runs short and fast while I go slow and long(ish). She also thinks that I look hilarious running and bursts out laughing all the time, so running together is a big no no. We tend to find a circuit and go in different directions so we see each other every ten minutes or so...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Month goal may be out the window after skipping 17 miles of running this weekend. But my legs were super tight after ~4 hours standing Friday night at a concert, and then on Sunday I meant to do my long run and then just... didn't. But at least I got back on track Monday rather than make excuses! Now I'm 130 posts behind. I'll do my best to skim and catch up.

Today was a traaaaaack workout! We did a pyramid workout: 400m, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400, with a 400m recovery between each interval. This is one of my favorite workouts, though I've usually done it on a treadmill... track was much better. Weather could have been a bit nicer. We are in the midst of off and on rainstorms, so it was 100% humidity; we had a fog advisory and the fog was so dense that you could barely see the opposite end of the track. The fog definitely made it difficult -- the whole group was drenched halfway through the workout -- but the company made it fun!

Awesome! Sounds like a great workout.

Hey, what does it mean when you say, "my legs were tight"?

I've heard people say their hips are tight a few times, too, and never understood.

Is it something to do with the fascia?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    @Orphia hip tightness for me means I don't have the range of motion that I would normally have. It pulls or pinches when you try to extend your legs back in a full stride, thus shortening your stride. You don't feel fluid, and you have to compensate by increasing cadence, or just run slower.
    Leg tightness for me feels like someone is squeezing my calfs, quads, and/or hamstrings, which again causes a lack of range of motion and also pain with each stride.
    Others may have other definitions, but that's what hip and leg tightness means to me.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    We are expecting rain for 10 days in a row in Orlando, so lots more running than cycling ahead for me!
    Although who can ever trust the weather predictions in Florida...

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training W12-A
    5/2 - 4 miles + Cycling 22 fast miles
    5/3 - strength training W12-B
    5/4 - Rest day
    5/5 - 44 miles cycling
    5/6 - strength training W12-C + 3.7 miles treadmill
    5/7 -4.5 miles + strength training W12-D
    5/8 - strength training — back to W9-A, heavier weights!
    5/9 - 22 miles cycling
    5/10 - 5 miles!
    5/11 - Strength training - w9-B
    5/12 - 44 miles cycling
    5/13 - 50 miles cycling
    5/14 - Strength training - w9-C
    5/15 - 4.5 miles w/tabatas
    5/16 - Strength training -w9-D + 1.5 interval miles on treadmill

exercise.png

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    6 miles easy postponed interval workout until tomorrow; pollen count way up, allergies having large influenece on sleep.

exercise.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    A very slow and steady four miles on the treadmill last night. I went on the treadmill because I knew if I went outside I would be tempted to either run fast or do more miles than I was planning. As it turned out, it was a good move because there was one heck of a thunderstorm going on. I got absolutely soaked to the skin just dashing through the parking lot after I'd finished my run.

A rest day today I think (I am supposed to be tapering after all). I'll probably do a couple of miles on Thursday, followed by a rest on Friday, and then it's my half on the Saturday. Woot!

My total for May so far is around 20 miles, which is lower than I was hoping for. I lost an entire week of training including a couple of long runs thanks to an injury. I may have to run/walk on Saturday, but I'll finish.

This is the Martha's Vineyard HM right? I can't wait to hear how you liked the course, area, etc. Good luck and hope you have fun!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    May 2 – 5.2 miles
    May 6 – 13.3 miles
    May 9 – 6 miles
    May 10 – 4.65 miles
    May 11 – 6.03 miles
    May 12 – 12.05 miles
    May 14 – 5.07 miles
    May 16 – 5.01 miles

Very humid 5 miles before work with a few sprinkles of rain that felt wonderful!

Upcoming Races:
    June 16 – Run the Gate 5K
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    This could be bad... I just joined a trail running club...

Just for @PastorVincent and his New Drug of Trail Running

Less than 2 weeks to my next Trail HM and work is seriously disrupting training. 15 hr day yesterday and today looks like the same. arrggggg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

ah you know you'll love it
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Just for @PastorVincent and his New Drug of Trail Running

Less than 2 weeks to my next Trail HM and work is seriously disrupting training. 15 hr day yesterday and today looks like the same. arrggggg

I think you meant...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagunwJ6v6k
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited May 2018
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    A very slow and steady four miles on the treadmill last night. I went on the treadmill because I knew if I went outside I would be tempted to either run fast or do more miles than I was planning. As it turned out, it was a good move because there was one heck of a thunderstorm going on. I got absolutely soaked to the skin just dashing through the parking lot after I'd finished my run.

A rest day today I think (I am supposed to be tapering after all). I'll probably do a couple of miles on Thursday, followed by a rest on Friday, and then it's my half on the Saturday. Woot!

My total for May so far is around 20 miles, which is lower than I was hoping for. I lost an entire week of training including a couple of long runs thanks to an injury. I may have to run/walk on Saturday, but I'll finish.

This is the Martha's Vineyard HM right? I can't wait to hear how you liked the course, area, etc. Good luck and hope you have fun!

Thank you! I love the Vineyard. We usually go for a week right after Labor Day. There aren't as many people around, but the weather is good and the restaurants and bars are still open. Looking forward to seeing it at this time of year.

The course starts near Oak Bluffs and the first 3 miles go through the Manuel Correllus State Forest (that's going to play havoc with my allergies). Then we'll head towards Edgartown on a paved bike path for 5 miles. And finally along Beach Road finishing in Oak Bluffs. Where I will drink all the chocolate milk, and eat all the bagels before collapsing in the hotel hot tub.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    5/1 - 5 mile group speed/track workout, then upper body weights / abs.
    5/2 - Overslept...unplanned rest day.
    5/3 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek Class.
    5/4 - Nada. Again. :neutral:
    5/5 - 4.75 mile group run.
    5/6 - Baseball tournament and yard work.
    5/7 - 5.25 miles.
    5/8 - 4.5 miles.
    5/9 - 3.5 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    5/10 - 5 miles. Beautiful morning for a run.
    5/11 - Pre Relay rest day.
    5/12 - Market to Market Relay. Leg 4 - 4.88 miles, Leg 11 - 4.02 miles, Leg 18 / team finish - 4.13 miles.
    5/13 - Mothers' Day!
    5/14 - Unplanned rest day.
    5/15 - 5 miles.
    5/16 - 3.17 miles. Shorter than planned due to too many snooze bar hits.

53.2/120
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    This morning's run cut short by a need to return home for the toilet. Sigh. Try again after work...