5/8/18 2.35 miles
    5/9/18 2.15 miles
    5/10/18 2 miles
    5/11/18 rest
    5/12/18 2.15 miles
    5/13/18 7 miles

5/14/18 2 miles

Total 33.3 miles

I let my HR go a little high, zone 3, for a little bit. I wasn't really paying attention. But the majority was in zone 2. I was listening to a podcast and not paying attention to my watch. They were discussing Paul Holes and so I had to pay attention. ;) I hope at least one of you gets the reference. Oh, and they were talking about the Zodiac DNA and I really want to know who it was so I was thinking how awesome it'd be if they finally figured it out.

I am going to try to write a blog about heart rate training today. I really have to fold and put away my laundry and edit photos so we will see.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Congrats on the marathon @polskagirl01!

Great time on your first HM @bradcharlessimmons!

I have a question about carb loading. Is it necessary to carb load for a half marathon? I generally eat about 240 carbs per day. I don't really pay much attention to carbs. I have my macros set at the default of 50C/20P/30F. I mostly try to hit my protein goal every day and just let carbs and fats fall where they may. But I did look and my average carbs for the last month was 240. I'm not adverse to eating more carbs, but generally carbs don't keep me as full as protien.

i like to add a few more carbs the week before a half

This is what I do, just eat a few more than usual the week before. I read somewhere (probably runner's world) that it is better to add a little more to each day the few days prior than doing it all the night before.

i know that's where i read it :smile:
    i had a brownie sundae and cheeseburger the night before the last one and ate pasta during the week before
    another one was salmon with wild rice and caramel layer cake.

personally, i fuel only when i do 13+ miles and then i do every 3 or 4 miles. because i've hit the wall and i don't wanna ever do that again
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Thanks @elise4270 and @mbaker566. I have had my long runs up to 12.5 miles and I have practiced with some gels, but I haven't ever really felt like I needed to fuel. I was kind of planning pasta for dinner the night before. So it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to add a few carbs this week, but no need to worry about forcing carbs just to get them.

Everyone is different. :smiley: I do not carb load. At all. I pretty much eat normally the week before a big race (Marathon, 50k, whatever). The best advice I can give is to try different things and see what works best for you.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    That is good to know @PastorVincent. I will probably eat a few more carbs as the week goes on, but I'm not going to stress about it.

• CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Another week and another Monday...Well I guess that is a good thing, I don't know what I would do if Monday disappeared, might be awkward.

Last week I skipped a run, Sunday actually, I was so close! Why does it seem like I run a lot more than my mileage says? No reason to skip other than gluttony and pure laziness. Maybe a bit of fear of the run.

As my laziness continued on into me not putting a thought into this week, my only option was to make up the run this morning. So a 4 mile cut-down run to bring the 5k pace into the 4th mile with warm-up/cool-down miles. I managed all but .5 miles due to time...annoying thing called work. The run was tough but was doable. I was able to take each mile down 16 seconds and finished my 4th mile a couple seconds faster than my 5K pace. My HR only jumped above my LTH in the 4th mile. I walked for a few minutes at the start of the cool down- but I probably could have jogged it. But wow, I was gassed...don't tell coach I walked ;)

I am traveling Friday and possibly Saturday so I need to get my runs in. I go on vacation for 2 weeks up into the mountains near Mammoth lakes so I will get some good high training.

I found a 5K around the time I want to do another test. Problem is it starts at 8am. I am sure it will be about 80 degrees by then. Might not be the best test...but maybe a test in the worst conditions test? IDK. It will probably be a last minute thing b/c I cant find another race for awhile and then the moving shenanigans begin.

I figure if I can keep taking 10 seconds off my cut-down mile drills every 2 weeks, I can get down to a sub 24 min 5K in 3 months. My weight, I am not so optimistic. I am trying to wrap my head around that I may not be a lean runner, it isn't like I will ever make money at running, but I would like a chance to win a race before I am in the "masters" category LOL.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the marathon @polskagirl01!

Great time on your first HM @bradcharlessimmons!

I have a question about carb loading. Is it necessary to carb load for a half marathon? I generally eat about 240 carbs per day. I don't really pay much attention to carbs. I have my macros set at the default of 50C/20P/30F. I mostly try to hit my protein goal every day and just let carbs and fats fall where they may. But I did look and my average carbs for the last month was 240. I'm not adverse to eating more carbs, but generally carbs don't keep me as full as protien.

I like to eat pizza the evening before a race :smile:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 6miles
    5/2 9.92miles
    5/3 6miles
    5/4 12miles
    5/5 6miles
    5/6 rest
    5/7 6.5miles
    5/8 6miles
    5/9 7miles
    5/10 8miles
    5/11 5miles
    5/12 14.11miles!
    5/13 rest
    5/14 5.75miles

Interval Monday! 3x 1mi at 10k pace, .25mi recovery
    2x .5mi at 5k pace, .25mi recovery.

That was hard!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    05/01/18 - 1/2 mile walk
    05/02/18 - 1 mile walk + 6.6 mile easy run
    05/03/18 - 1.3 mile walk
    05/04/18 - Rest
    05/05/18 - Steel Challange 5k
    05/06/18 - MARATHON PR! 3:51:53
    05/07/18 - Rest
    05/08/18 - 6 miles @ 9:28
    05/09/18 - 8 miles @ 9:09
    05/10/18 - Rest
    05/11/18 - 6 miles @ 9:28
    05/12/18 - 31 miles - FIRST ULTRA MARATHON TRAIL RACE! W00T!
    05/13/18 - Rest
    05/14/18 - 6.25 miles @ 9:40 - with 97% humidity

06/02/18 - South Fayette Glow Run - Nighttime 1 mile and 5k race
    07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    5.3 miles on the trail after 4.6 miles on the cruiser this morning. Hopefully I haven’t pushed myself too hard cuz for once I don’t have restless legs but my knee is killing me
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Woo hoo, I'm looking forward to following your marathon training.

So far, this has been my best marathon recovery. Steps haven't even been a problem! But perhaps it's because...

Yesterday they made The Announcement... an apology from the RD. "Due to human error in the first kilometer" (we went left instead of right when we left the stadium), "the marathoners did not complete the certified course and were short by 400 meters". So if anyone needed their time to be official, it doesn't count. It's likely everyone made up the distance by missing tangents along the way - my watch ended at 42.46 km so I know I ran a full marathon - but it stinks for people who got PR's that are now unofficial. And I feel so badly for the organizers. I vaguely remember thinking they must've changed something when we made that left, and then when we got to the first kilometer flag my watch said .61 and the pacer said something was wrong, but we had crossed 3 different timing mats as we circled and left the stadium (start, marathon finish and 15k finish) so I thought maybe I had hit my watch at the wrong one, or maybe the markers were for the 15k that had started with us.

So I had a bit of a laugh-cry, and my husband looked at me like I had lost my mind. Of course the runners will all get a discount next year, but the RD feels so badly, he announced he will be running the entire marathon route next Sunday, without having trained for it, in honor of all of us that completed it.

@polskagirl01 Oh, dear! Was it a Boston/London etc qualifier marathon? (Not sure how that system works).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    May 2018 runs

Goal: 220 km

01 May – 06.0 km
    04 May – 32.0 km
    05 May – 05.0 km parkrun 28:58
    06 May – 09.4 km Sunday Social Run
    08 May – 14.1 km
    09 May – 17.6 km
    12 May – 10.0 km including parkrun 26:59
    14 May – 12.0 km
    15 May – 10 km 58:12

Total: 116 km

10 km in 58:12. Very happy with that, for a training run that felt good!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @katharmonic Woo hoo, I'm looking forward to following your marathon training.

So far, this has been my best marathon recovery. Steps haven't even been a problem! But perhaps it's because...

Yesterday they made The Announcement... an apology from the RD. "Due to human error in the first kilometer" (we went left instead of right when we left the stadium), "the marathoners did not complete the certified course and were short by 400 meters". So if anyone needed their time to be official, it doesn't count. It's likely everyone made up the distance by missing tangents along the way - my watch ended at 42.46 km so I know I ran a full marathon - but it stinks for people who got PR's that are now unofficial. And I feel so badly for the organizers. I vaguely remember thinking they must've changed something when we made that left, and then when we got to the first kilometer flag my watch said .61 and the pacer said something was wrong, but we had crossed 3 different timing mats as we circled and left the stadium (start, marathon finish and 15k finish) so I thought maybe I had hit my watch at the wrong one, or maybe the markers were for the 15k that had started with us.

So I had a bit of a laugh-cry, and my husband looked at me like I had lost my mind. Of course the runners will all get a discount next year, but the RD feels so badly, he announced he will be running the entire marathon route next Sunday, without having trained for it, in honor of all of us that completed it.

@polskagirl01 Oh, dear! Was it a Boston/London etc qualifier marathon? (Not sure how that system works).

It's not on the Boston list, but would've met the requirements - so it seems no one who has run it over the past 6 years has cared about Boston enough to have the race director get it on the list beforehand. There are flatter marathons in Poland that would be preferred by someone trying to qualify, so someone here who has the money to go to Boston and the speed to qualify would likely just go run Warsaw. As for London, if someone had proof of being a UK resident and wanted to go for a Good For Age Time entry, this theoretically would've counted as it was certified by the national governing body. I don't know if anyone was in that category. We had 571 marathon finishers; I was the only North American (and one South African was the only other non-european runner). This might sound like blasphemy to some people, but Boston isn't as big a deal here. If someone wants to do all of the Majors, they'd probably start closer - Berlin or London - so they've already qualified at other, bigger races and would only be running Lublin for fun, training, or because you can win it in 2:38:15 (third place was 2:45:xx) :)

I know in all reality it doesn't take away from my accomplishment, but in a way I feel like "I did ALL that work, and now you're going to try to tell me it doesn't count? I DON'T THINK SO!" and I've got the watch data to prove it.

@katharmonic I am excited for you, too! Enjoy the process of getting there!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I know in all reality it doesn't take away from my accomplishment, but in a way I feel like "I did ALL that work, and now you're going to try to tell me it doesn't count? I DON'T THINK SO!" and I've got the watch data to prove it.

THIS. :D

Also the more marathons you run, the easier your recovery will be. :) At least that is my experience.