May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, this was the first serious run (did like 5 or 7 miles with them previously) with the Alta Lone Peak 3.5s. They are a "zero drop" shoe and my other shoes are 8 to 12mm drop so that was a bit of a risk I guess. They did very well holding to the ground and even getting traction in soft mud. The few times I did slip it was either cause I caught my toe on a root, or something really slippery like algae covered rocks.

I did not notice any difference while running with the 0 drop. When I first put them on they felt weird but only briefly.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent congratulations on your amazing accomplishment of an ultra after a PR marathon. It's not even something I can comprehend so I just say WOW and hope you are treating yourself well and very gently in recovery.

@polskagirl01 you DID earn that medal and you are good at difficult things. Sounds like you recovered as well as possible from the pacer being so far off.

I took the day off from running and went on a nice long hike with my Stella. It was a challenging one with all kinds of rocks and downed trees and poor footing so we took it slowly, but it was a fun time. Stella was brave and a good trail leader, and she almost caught a few little snakes.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Well done! It is the stick-to-it-ness that really differentiates a distance runner from the rest of the crowd. The mental fortitude to keep going even through failure and mistakes is built mile by mile (err kilometer by kilometer ;) ). Well done, you deserve that medal for sure.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 Those shoes definitely sound suspicious right now. I would run with the Saucony's for a bit and see if the problem goes away. If it does, try the Brooks again and see if it comes back. If it does, take the shoes out back and shoot them. :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Y'all I'm dithering. I want to do the Canada Day road race. There's 2 distances, 5K and 15K. If I do the 5K, my husband and kids can do the family 2.5K and we should all finish around the same time. But I kind of would rather do the 15K except that means my family would be waiting around for me for at least an hour because I'm slow.

Prices increase next Sunday so I guess I'd better figure it out!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 @BruinsGal_91 Loved reading your race reports. Congratulations to both of you!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 Those shoes definitely sound suspicious right now. I would run with the Saucony's for a bit and see if the problem goes away. If it does, try the Brooks again and see if it comes back. If it does, take the shoes out back and shoot them. :)

I can't believe it's taken me so long to think that maybe it's the shoes. I'm definitely wearing the Saucony's for the half marathon, and then I'll go back to the Brooks and see what happens. I'm so annoyed, because they felt really good (I had the gait analysis done and tried out four different pairs) and it was a toss-up between them and another pair of Saucony's. I should have gone with my gut and stuck with the devil I knew.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Y'all I'm dithering. I want to do the Canada Day road race. There's 2 distances, 5K and 15K. If I do the 5K, my husband and kids can do the family 2.5K and we should all finish around the same time. But I kind of would rather do the 15K except that means my family would be waiting around for me for at least an hour because I'm slow.

Do the 15k and tell them to go get ice cream. :)

^^^^^^ This @sarahthes you know it makes sense.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

I was gonna make the same suggestion as PV. Except pancakes.