May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    9 miles with a fast finish for the last 4.
    @PastorVincent makes sense to me that ultra running is not as damaging to the body. You're pushing yourself to the limit but in a much different way. I like the idea of that kind of training but the major drawback for me is the amount of time.(7hours!!! I don't have 7 hours to spend on myself.) I am going to speculate that doctors would prefer that an individual trained and ran ultras as aposed to marathons because the event is kinder physically to the body.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    9 miles with a fast finish for the last 4.
    @PastorVincent makes sense to me that ultra running is not as damaging to the body. You're pushing yourself to the limit but in a much different way. I like the idea of that kind of training but the major drawback for me is the amount of time.(7hours!!! I don't have 7 hours to spend on myself.) I am going to speculate that doctors would prefer that an individual trained and ran ultras as aposed to marathons because the event is kinder physically to the body.

exercise.png

I do not have 7 hours normally either.. but if I could find a trail and run 1-2 hours on it in training, swapping out 1 or more of my medium distance runs for it, that could work.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards dropping the Pittsburgh Marathon as my big race and putting a big trail trace in its place like the one I just did.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    You are all a bunch of enablers ;)

I see no downside here.

Because of this group, I registered for the 15K and registered my husband & kids for the 2.5K (as walkers because of the 3 year old).

Next y'all are gonna start trying to get me to run CDR...

@sarahthes Well that sounds like a good idea. Come join us on May 27 for the Northern Alberta Trail series 2nd event in Grande Cache called Mountain Madness. I have never seen the course but supposedly it hits part of the GCDR route.
    It's rumored there is still a little bit of snow in some places close to the event. CDR Mt. Hamel from friends this weekend cdod08sd8mw0.jpg

Mtn Madness is on a differant route and with 2 weeks until start the remaining snow should be melted down to a delicious mud bog.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 That is tempting...

My aunt & uncle were in town this weekend and offered to take me out on some of the Death Race trails if we ever make it up to visit them. They don't run but I guess they go 4-wheeling on some of them. I said they could ride ahead of me and scare off the bears.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 mile group speed/track workout, then upper body weights / abs.
    5/2 - Overslept...unplanned rest day.
    5/3 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek Class.
    5/4 - Nada. Again. :neutral:
    5/5 - 4.75 mile group run.
    5/6 - Baseball tournament and yard work.
    5/7 - 5.25 miles.
    5/8 - 4.5 miles.
    5/9 - 3.5 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    5/10 - 5 miles. Beautiful morning for a run.
    5/11 - Pre Relay rest day.
    5/12 - Market to Market Relay. Leg 4 - 4.88 miles, Leg 11 - 4.02 miles, Leg 18 / team finish - 4.13 miles.

45.03/120
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Got a Misfit Ray for Mothers day so I jogged around my community for a bit yesterday to see how it works. So lost on how the points work cuz it wouldn’t let me log my run from earlier that morning. Didnt get out and run this morning, I clearly needed the rest as when my alarm went off at 2 I woke up and started searching for my glasses. It literally took me like 5 minutes before I realized I had my contacts in. Should have phased me cuz I could actually see. Lol.
    Today I think I’ll pull out the ol’ bike and see how the tracker works while riding.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    Bad news: I did go out for a run Saturday morning, Plan called for 4 miles but I only managed 3 miles. My left heel was in a lot of pain with every strike of the foot. The rest of the day was painful to walk. Sunday I did not run, and the pain was much better but still there. I am thinking I may have plantar fasciitis. I am wanting to go to the doctor but at the same time I am thinking I might end up in a medical boot and he/she will tell me no running. No running means I may miss my June 3 race, so I am still debating whether or not to go to the doctor.

Go. If you wait any problem could get much worse and could put you out of running much longer.

• bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151 - I also use the Nike Run Club App with my Garmin. I was having a hard time with it not syncing to the NRC app. I changed my settings in the Garmin Connect on the desktop (not in the app on my phone) to My Groups and Connections (I previously had it set to private, where I could only see them). The Garmin started syncing and now all my runs are showng in NRC app. So maybe check the settings and see what happens.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards dropping the Pittsburgh Marathon as my big race and putting a big trail trace in its place like the one I just did.

slowly slowly catchy monkey.......

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I did not succeed at my morning run, so evening run it is today.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    pretty sure i'm not meeting my goal this month. stupid peroneal tendontis

5/1-0mi
    5/2-0mi
    5/3-0mi
    5/4-0mi (but we hiked 4+mi)
    5/5-13.13 mi
    5/6-1.78 mi (5+mi hike+porcupine)
    5/7-0mi
    5/8-0mi
    5/9-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/10-maybe get a few in tonight, getting itchy. outer ankles still hurt
    5/11-stupid ankle
    5/12-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/13-1.9mi rough run.

exercise.png

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the marathon @polskagirl01!

Great time on your first HM @bradcharlessimmons!

I have a question about carb loading. Is it necessary to carb load for a half marathon? I generally eat about 240 carbs per day. I don't really pay much attention to carbs. I have my macros set at the default of 50C/20P/30F. I mostly try to hit my protein goal every day and just let carbs and fats fall where they may. But I did look and my average carbs for the last month was 240. I'm not adverse to eating more carbs, but generally carbs don't keep me as full as protien.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I have a question about carb loading. Is it necessary to carb load for a half marathon? I generally eat about 240 carbs per day. I don't really pay much attention to carbs. I have my macros set at the default of 50C/20P/30F. I mostly try to hit my protein goal every day and just let carbs and fats fall where they may. But I did look and my average carbs for the last month was 240. I'm not adverse to eating more carbs, but generally carbs don't keep me as full as protien.

I think this is an individual preference. I'd think those that are accustomed to running 13 miles wouldn't need to fuel for it, while those of us that it's a stretch and our bodies aren't as addapted or efficient need the tank topped off.

Personally, I added a few carbs the few days before (nice indulgent pre race dinner and a beer), carried a GU for the race and was fine. It's one of those things you figure out what works best for you.

ETA good luck! and my average carbs during training doesn't get over 150. I think 240 is a lot, but again we're all different.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

i like to add a few more carbs the week before a half
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks @elise4270 and @mbaker566. I have had my long runs up to 12.5 miles and I have practiced with some gels, but I haven't ever really felt like I needed to fuel. I was kind of planning pasta for dinner the night before. So it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to add a few carbs this week, but no need to worry about forcing carbs just to get them.