May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I will have to investigate importing that into Strava. There was no immediately clear way to do it with the app, but I will have a look at the website.

You have to export it from the Run Keeper website as a GPX file, then import it at the Strava website.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Who was it that mentioned they are slow for the first 3k and that's why they don't run 5ks?

That is TOTALLY me. I seriously hate the first two miles of almost every run, but once I get to around 2.5 it's like I can go forever.

Our plans changed and it looks like I'll be able to do a 5k on June 2 after all. It's for a Celiac-awareness group and my daughter and hubby both have Celiac, so it's definitely more about the cause than the run. I've only done one other 5k and it was at Red Rocks and a super wacky course (my first two miles were 8mm which is WAYYYY fast for me, and the last mile was 16mm because it was entirely uphill and included the full set of stairs at RR). The Gluten Free Gallop is a few laps around a lake on a flat bike path in the 'burbs.

Would the solid course of action be to run a few miles pre-race and then be super warmed up for the race? If I have my sluggish miles out of the way before the gun, then I suppose the idea is that I can just haul *kitten* for three miles? I mean, I won't win or anything, but I kind of want to know what my "5k race pace" is.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I will have to investigate importing that into Strava. There was no immediately clear way to do it with the app, but I will have a look at the website.

You have to export it from the Run Keeper website as a GPX file, then import it at the Strava website.

Thanks, I figured it out.
  • lporter229
    Options

Would the solid course of action be to run a few miles pre-race and then be super warmed up for the race? If I have my sluggish miles out of the way before the gun, then I suppose the idea is that I can just haul *kitten* for three miles? I mean, I won't win or anything, but I kind of want to know what my "5k race pace" is.

Definitely! Good luck and have fun!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Orphia 38k for a training run is HUGE!! And feeling good afterwards is even better! Way to go. I don't want to sound like your other half, but what plan has you doing a 38k training run on a weekday? :)

I don't care what her plan is - all I know is what she does works for her life schedule and that is all that matters.
    Awesome and inspiring as always Miss Orphia.

I wasn't bashing her plan or criticizing in anyway (I even included a smiley emoji after all). I was just curious because rarely does a training run (for us mere mortals) include mileage longer than about 20 miles (32k).
    Sorry if it came across that way. I think that was an AMAZING feet (yes, pun intended) :#
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Who was it that mentioned they are slow for the first 3k and that's why they don't run 5ks?

That is TOTALLY me. I seriously hate the first two miles of almost every run, but once I get to around 2.5 it's like I can go forever.

@fitoverfortymom I've found that the key for me to do well in a 5K is to have a good warmup run of at least 2 miles before the 5K. Get those crappy miles out of your system so you're into your good miles at the start. Time it so you have some rest before the race starts, but not too much rest. @MobyCarp likes to warm up by running the entire 5k course before the actual race. Not only do you get your warm up, but you get a course preview.

• fitoverfortymom
    edited May 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@fitoverfortymom I've found that the key for me to do well in a 5K is to have a good warmup run of at least 2 miles before the 5K. Get those crappy miles out of your system so you're into your good miles at the start. Time it so you have some rest before the race starts, but not too much rest. @MobyCarp likes to warm up by running the entire 5k course before the actual race. Not only do you get your warm up, but you get a course preview.

I also like a course preview run. I usually pre-run most of my courses when I can anyway, but usually during training; not on race day. I doubt I'll run the whole thing, but it will be a combination of everything you just said.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    What the fart MFP? Where'd my post go!

*Pfft*

*Sigh*

@PastorVincent Thanks for the altra info. I'll keep them in mind as my needs change. (Fingers crossed)

I think I do best in 5-8 drop, good proprioception, and some stability since I pronate on one side. I can usually find this in just about any brand of trail shoe. Road shoe is another story. I'd definitely like to get comfortable a zero drop shoe. You'd think it'd be where I belong since I'm barefoot all the time.

group what shoes do you favor and why?

@shanaber Thanks for the shoe recommendation! I'll check them out. I have reservations about the Scott's since they are so hard to find and not well known. And no reason a girl couldn't have two pair of trail shoes :wink:
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I have Altra Lone Peak 3.5s for trails and love the zero drop. They are great and grippy for technical stuff.

My road shoes (new) are Saucony GT somethings. I don't adore them, but I don't dislike them either.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    *giddily clapps wildly*

SHOES! :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love my saucony xodus gtx. but i don't think they make them any more
  • lporter229
    Options
    My trail shoes are La Sportiva Bushidos. They are super rigid and grippy but also lightweight. They have a 6mm drop. They came highly recommended by the sales guy at REI and I was not disappointed.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I also like a course preview run. I usually pre-run most of my courses when I can anyway, but usually during training; not on race day. I doubt I'll run the whole thing, but it will be a combination of everything you just said.

This seems to happen to all distance runners. The more you push into longer runs, the more your shorter runs suffer. The only way to do good in the shorter runs is... well to make them longer by adding a warm up. I do not know the WHY behind it, but I have observed this in everyone I have coached or met. So must be true :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    5/1/18 2 miles
    5/2/18 1.8 miles
    5/3/18 1.85 miles
    5/4/18 2 miles
    5/5/18 2 miles
    5/6/18 6 miles

5/7/18 rest
    5/8/18 2.35 miles
    5/9/18 2.15 miles
    5/10/18 2 miles
    5/11/18 rest
    5/12/18 2.15 miles
    5/13/18 7 miles

5/14/18 2 miles
    5/15/18 2.1 miles
    5/16/18 1.9 miles
    5/17/18 1.95 miles
    5/18/18 2.01 miles

Total 41.26 miles

I didn't mess up my speed work or watch today! Woo!

@cburke8909 @shanaber @MobyCarp

I'm not set on my current zones. I'm using May and June as my experimental runs before I dive into marathon training in July. I'm also kind of waiting to see if there is anything wrong with me (dizziness/nausea when HR gets into 170s/180s - not sure if they are related but that tends to be when it occurs). Doctors appt on 6/1 for all the bloodwork and stuff. My resting HR is usually around 55. Walking is usually under 100. If I'm walking fast and talking it goes 100-115. Somedays my HR seems to jump higher quicker than others. Just trying to watch everything lol I'll have to keep educating and testing stuff.

@Elise4270 I have brooks for all my road shoes. I have brooks and saucony for trail. I prefer the saucony.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

I am heading off for DC for our niece's graduation. Hoping to get some running in around the National Mall as long as it isn't thunder and lightening!

There are some lovely trails by the tidal basin, too. The cherry blossoms are done, but it is still really pretty there. Enjoy the graduation!

Another rainy treadmill day for me. I did 2 slow miles with a little cool-down walk at the end.

13.75/10 running and 21 total forward movement for May!

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    YES! A nice, slow warmup can do wonders for those shorter races.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MAY GOALS, REHAB SMART, 10 hours of activity for the month. Work up to 3 minutes of running and 10mpw. 

4---30 minutes stationary bike.
    4---68 minutes, 3.46 miles walk
    5---30 minutes bike, 7.25 miles
    5---22 minutes, 1.70 miles PT run 15(1,1)
    7---20 minutes, 1.44 miles (2,2)
    8---30 minutes, 2.14 miles 7(2,2)
    11---30 min mtn bike, 4.29
    12---30 min 2.35 miles PT run (2,2 ish)
    12---30 min bike, 6.61 miles
    12---80 min walk, 4.5 miles
    15---64 min, 4.62 (2,1-3,2-2,1) PT run
    17---65 minute walk, 3.45 miles
    18---28 min swim
    18---60 min walk, 2.92 mi
    18---46 minutes, 6.25 miles mtn bike

605 minutes/26.58 miles

Upcoming Races
    June 1 GOTR 5K
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance
    April 28, 2019OKC Memorial Marathon (half)

Tldr didn't run. :wink:
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    An easy 2.2mi before tomorrow’s 10K. Almost ended up flat as a pancake, some douchenozzle didn’t slow down as I was crossing the intersection and if I didn’t put on a bust of speed he would have clipped more than the back of my foot. Some people I tell ya.
    @shanaber How much we talkin? Haha jk
    exercise.png