May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I took a break yesterday but decided to go get that gym membership on this soggy morning (with nothing but soggy mornings in sight for a while). So I did 2.5 miles total (2 miles at a slow jog) on the treadmill before work. I felt like I could have run another mile by the time I was done, but I was running late. I'm going to try to run3 miles on Saturday if it feels ok. I've signed up for a 5K in June!

11.75/10 (yay!) for the month and 18.75 miles total forward motion :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Just a quick check in. I'm swamped at work, swamped at home, and 15 pages behind. I did manage to read the fantastic race report by @PastorVincent though...great job, man!!! What a beast to do two huge races so close to each other. I loved reading your report. What I really want to know, though, is when is your next ultra?

@7lenny7 - I am strongly leaning towards dropping the road marathon from my schedule completely, do a half instead and then do a trail ultra in its place. I joined a local trail running club and hope to run with them at least once a month. 90% of my running will still be road just due to time and the availability of terrain, but I am shifting I think.
  • PastorVincent
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm in need of some need trail shoes. My usuall surface is chipped granite/gravel. I occasionally run the grass area next to the trail, can be muddy and a little technical.

I'm looking at some Scott's. Any one try them? Any favorites? I'm currently in mizunos hayate, which I like just fine.

I have never tried Scott's, but these are what I ran the Ultra in and I was very happy with them:

81-K2mc0rtL._UX335_.jpg
    Altra Lone Peak 3.5s

Those are "men's" shoes, but I am sure they have female versions.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm in need of some need trail shoes. My usuall surface is chipped granite/gravel. I occasionally run the grass area next to the trail, can be muddy and a little technical.

I'm looking at some Scott's. Any one try them? Any favorites? I'm currently in mizunos hayate, which I like just fine.

I have never tried Scott's, but these are what I ran the Ultra in and I was very happy with them:

81-K2mc0rtL._UX335_.jpg
    Altra Lone Peak 3.5s

Thanks. I'll have a look at them. I passed over the altra's because I think/thought they are a lower drop shoe... I pulled the trigger in the Scott's trail. I'll see how they do and look for my next road shoe (Scott if I like them, if not 90 day return). The drop, ~5, and weight fit my liking... So, we'll see. Trail runner :wink:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I put off my Wednesday morning run to Wed night, but then to Thursday morning, and then tacked it on to my 6 mile scheduled run tonight because I AM THE BEST AT PROCRASTINATING. But now I'm 7 pages behind on the forum so...... what's new? :s

I did get to try some Altra Torrins at the group run tonight as a demo. I liked them. Too bad I don't have new running shoes in my budget currently... I need walking about shoes for my July vacation instead. Oh well!

5/1: 3.2 miles
    5/2: 3 miles
    5/3: 7 miles of Track Thursday
    5/4: 5.4 miles
    5/5: 12 miles
    5/6: 3.6 miles + gym workout
    5/7: 6 miles
    5/8: 8 miles of Track Tuesday
    5/9: Rest day
    5/10: 6 miles
    5/11: 3.2
    5/12: Lazy day
    5/13: Lazy weekend
    5/14: 4 miles
    5/15: 8 miles Track Tuesday
    5/16: Lazy day
    5/17: 10.2 miles

Current: 79.6
    Goal miles: 150

Upcoming Races:
    5/20: Watershed Running Festival - Trail 10k - Pennington, NJ

• PastorVincent
    Options

81-K2mc0rtL._UX335_.jpg
    Altra Lone Peak 3.5s

Thanks. I'll have a look at them. I passed over the altra's because I think/thought they are a lower drop shoe... I pulled the trigger in the Scott's trail. I'll see how they do and look for my next road shoe (Scott if I like them, if not 90 day return). The drop, ~5, and weight fit my liking... So, we'll see. Trail runner :wink:

The Alta’s are zero drop. That is what attracted me to them :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 2.38 km
    5/3 - 6.23 km
    5/4 - cake
    5/5 - meetings
    5/6 - 4.18 km
    5/7 - 5.15 km
    5/8 - life conspired against me
    5/9 - 6.4 km
    5/10 - 3.0 km
    5/11 - rest day, walk
    5/12 - 10.11 km, after which there will be 6 year olds and shouting
    5/13 - cross training (aka I walked almost 10 km)
    5/14 - 5.65 km
    5/15 - blah
    5/16 - 8.90 km
    5/17 - 5.52 km

57.52/115 km

Good run tonight. Since I skipped this week's scheduled speedwork I decided to run tonight's 5K on the faster side. Came in at 37:11 which is 1:20 faster than the fastest timed 5K I've done, but slower than the first 5K of the half I ran in April. In retrospect, that may have been why I walked most of the last 3km rather than the hills alone.

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    10/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    @Orphia 38k for a training run is HUGE!! And feeling good afterwards is even better! Way to go. I don't want to sound like your other half, but what plan has you doing a 38k training run on a weekday? :)
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    easy 6 this am.
    @RunsOnEspresso my default on heartrate zones is that if they don't make sense adjust them. There should be a correlation to perceived effort. Zone 1 should be easy but if your down to walking that might be too little. I'm sure it won'r hurt you but seems very boring. Most of the time I focus on above zone 3 and above and zone 2 and below. If I'm going hard I'm in the first and if I'm going east in the second. I then track the numbers to see but pace and perceived effort dictate while in the run. When you're looking at zone 4 and 5 you could be there at pace and effort before your heartrate catches up and most of us don't immediately return to zone 2 just because we've slowed down and recovered. Monitors have glitches, heart beats can be effected by many factors don't let a machine cause you to go against what your basic instincts are telling you. Don't completely ignore it either. Data is good but what makes data information is the human element.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I ran 38 km this morning, which was what I’d planned.

About 16 km on footpaths/road, 22 km on fine gravel paths.
    Bio/fuelling 200 metre walk breaks at 9 km and 18 km; short walks up steep hills at 24 km and 34 km; had to wait for cars twice.
    Had 2 cereal bars and 2 Wiggle mocha caffeine gels with a few mouthfuls of water from my Camelbak before & after each.

Feeling awesome. :)

When I got home and told my other half I’d done 38 km, he said, “Why?” Because it was my plan!

Did I mention I did 38 km? :D

Well done!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Just over 5k, partly on trails, in the pouring rain. There were branches in my way, a little mud, and I had a BLAST.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    6/2 Solidarność Half Marathon
    6/30 Silesian Highland [trail] Half Marathon
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k

@Orphia remind me what you're training for? Awesome run!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - yay! you are back! I haven't been here much either!

<non running> Last day for seniors was yesterday. At my school the seniors write thank you notes to everyone on the entire school campus - everyone -- cafeteria workers, cleaning people, teachers, receptionist, and any adult on campus. We all get a bag with at least 12 notes in it and candy, water bottle and a few other little things. But the best part is the notes. I'm just sharing this with you all in case you have kids, have them write a note to their teacher(s) - just a couple sentences. It means so much - believe me there's no money in it, so a few words of thanks is priceless. Since I teach programming my students usually write me a little program, so cute. This was the best senior class I've ever taught and I am going to miss them! :cry: But I am expecting great things from them so it will be fun to watch and see what they do. </non running>

Four miles on a very humid morning. Lost two pounds of sweat again. :lol: It'll be back tonight with wine and pasta.
    Tomorrow have to go to a funeral (just a friend's dad, didn't know him) in the morning so no cycling ... another run!

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training W12-A
    5/2 - 4 miles + Cycling 22 fast miles
    5/3 - strength training W12-B
    5/4 - Rest day
    5/5 - 44 miles cycling
    5/6 - strength training W12-C + 3.7 miles treadmill
    5/7 -4.5 miles + strength training W12-D
    5/8 - strength training — back to W9-A, heavier weights!
    5/9 - 22 miles cycling
    5/10 - 5 miles!
    5/11 - Strength training - w9-B
    5/12 - 44 miles cycling
    5/13 - 50 miles cycling
    5/14 - Strength training - w9-C
    5/15 - 4.5 miles w/tabatas
    5/16 - Strength training -w9-D + 1.5 miles treadmill
    5/17 - 4 miles
    5/18 - 4 miles + tbd

exercise.png

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Orphia 38k for a training run is HUGE!! And feeling good afterwards is even better! Way to go. I don't want to sound like your other half, but what plan has you doing a 38k training run on a weekday? :)

I don't care what her plan is - all I know is what she does works for her life schedule and that is all that matters.
    Awesome and inspiring as always Miss Orphia.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was going to run after class last night and i fell asleep, and then i slept thru my alarms. guess my body wanted the rest. -among many things wrong with me-ideopathic hypersomnia

5/1-0mi
    5/2-0mi
    5/3-0mi
    5/4-0mi (but we hiked 4+mi)
    5/5-13.13 mi
    5/6-1.78 mi (5+mi hike+porcupine)
    5/7-0mi
    5/8-0mi
    5/9-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/10-maybe get a few in tonight, getting itchy. outer ankles still hurt
    5/11-stupid ankle
    5/12-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/13-1.9mi rough run.
    5/14-nope-lawn mowed
    5/15-3.06 mi
    5/16-1.2mi (2 hours aerial yoga)
    5/17- (1 hour aerial yoga)
    5/18-hoping for miles tonight

exercise.png

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    May 2 – 5.2 miles
    May 6 – 13.3 miles
    May 9 – 6 miles
    May 10 – 4.65 miles
    May 11 – 6.03 miles
    May 12 – 12.05 miles
    May 14 – 5.07 miles
    May 16 – 5.01 miles
    May 18 – 7 miles

@greyparks206 – Hope you do great with your 5K this weekend.
    @Elise4270 – You are doing so good with your PT and running comeback! I admire your consistency.
    @7lenny7 – Good luck with your 50K on Saturday. Thanks for sharing the video. Loved the runners hanging out at the top on that flat rock.
    @skippygirlsmom and @rheddmobile – Good to see you back!
    @kgirlhart and @BruinsGal_91 – Good luck with your HMs on Saturday!
    @MobyCarp – Good luck with your race on Sunday, and next weekend, and next weekend, and…..
    @ddmom0811 – That’s so sweet and such a great idea for students to write those thank-you notes. Well-deserved too.
    @noblsheep – LOL! You may need to change your name to @hotpants!

7 humid miles this morning. Just a few sprinkles though. Did the same last night in bootcamp and they actually felt great.

My favorite part of checking here on the weekends is reading everyone’s race reports – especially the ones with pictures!

Upcoming Races:
    June 16 – Run the Gate 5K
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon