May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Almost got hit by a pickup truck this morning on my run. Other than that I felt I could actually breathe so wooohooo!

Personally, I am a big fan of breathing. I do it all the time!

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent we've been waved over to pre check a few times and it's so nice. We are quick through security. It's all the other people that slow us down. I feel like there should be an express lane for those of us that know and a "we never fly, have 4.6 kids, don't read the signs, and/or don't listen as the agents are barking instructions" lane.

I have to take out laptop, kindle, camera and lenses. It's only supposed to be camera bodies but TSA people aren't sure if lenses are cameras or not. Or if they are electronics. And I'm still faster than most people at security.

And then I get pulled aside because of suspicious food. :D:D:D Yay gluten free!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent we've been waved over to pre check a few times and it's so nice. We are quick through security. It's all the other people that slow us down. I feel like there should be an express lane for those of us that know and a "we never fly, have 4.6 kids, don't read the signs, and/or don't listen as the agents are barking instructions" lane.

I have to take out laptop, kindle, camera and lenses. It's only supposed to be camera bodies but TSA people aren't sure if lenses are cameras or not. Or if they are electronics. And I'm still faster than most people at security.

I travel with tons of electronics, and I do not even have to open my bag when I go through security with the GEC. :D So worth it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles
    5/4: 5.6 miles
    5/6: 12.5 miles
    5/8: 4.1 miles
    5/9: 4.1 miles
    5/10: 3.2 miles
    5/13: 8 miles
    5/15: 2.6 miles
    5/16: 2.6 miles
    5/17: 2 miles
    5/19: 13.1 miles
    5/22: 3.2 miles
    5/23: 3.2 miles
    5/24: 3.5 miles
    5/29: 5 miles
    5/30: 4.3 miles

88.8/85 miles completed

I ran 4.3 miles this morning and that completes my goal for May. It was a really good run. It was a bit hot at around 77F and humid, but it was still better than the 102F we had yesterday or the 104F they are predicting for today. At least that is what I kept telling myself. Today I did like I did yesterday and just set out to run without a specific mileage goal. It is kind of nice to just keep an eye on the time and know that as long as I get home in time to get ready for work I can just run as long as I want.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I travel with tons of electronics, and I do not even have to open my bag when I go through security with the GEC. :D So worth it.

oh yes. the camera and lenses. :smirk: i keep them all in one pocket so i can dump it all out into a bucket. laptop in the same. the wires to connect camera to laptop, chargers. etc.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Not zippered, but I like this type of arm pocket: https://www.amazon.com/PMS-SUMMIT-PURSUIT-ARM-POCKET/dp/B00SWVFURM/ . The standard phone arm pocket things drive me insane, it seems I cannot get them to stay in place (at least not without cutting off circulation). Maybe I need bigger biceps :sunglasses: These are fine however. Actually, I often use it around my ankle instead, but I guess that might not work as well for your medical equipment.
    If you don't like waist belts, maybe these are another option: https://www.amazon.com/Highly-Rated-Running-Buddy-Patented/dp/B00ATIE5ZE ?
    I have one of them. It works fine on most pants, but not on loose-fitting shorts, at least for me. If the contents of the pouch are heavy and the waistband is loose, I can feel it jiggling around while running. If I'm wearing tight running tights that stay firmly in place, it's fine.

@RunsOnEspresso Yes, I'm totally in favour of a dedicated "I-know-how-to-pass-safety-checks" queue at airports! I always end up in the security check behind groups of people who seem extremely surprised when they are asked about liquids, for example, and then spend 10 minutes unpacking their entire suitcase to find their shower gel...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I've been behind those same people! And listening to TSA yell about liquids for the last 20 minutes as we were waiting.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Look... just because that 1 time, some terrorists who were not even runners entered in the race decided to do something terrible, 1 time... it suddenly became unsafe for runners in a race to have backpacks?!

1 time. I'm not trying to minimize the severity, but this isn't exactly a pattern of technique.

For the same reason we all take off our shoes before anyone is allowed on an airplane.

I do not take off my shoes and I bypass most of the security line due to my "Global Entry Card"

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

If you fly more than 0 times a year, it is so worth it.

Yah I keep meaning to get that.

Last two times I flew it was 15 minutes from entering the airport to the gate. It is a major time/headache saver.

Hubby has TSA pre and travels a lot. We keep meaning to get me TSA pre and also the Global Entry for both of us because, well, because I hate lines and most people in them and I have relatively no filter at all.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Look... just because that 1 time, some terrorists who were not even runners entered in the race decided to do something terrible, 1 time... it suddenly became unsafe for runners in a race to have backpacks?!

1 time. I'm not trying to minimize the severity, but this isn't exactly a pattern of technique.

For the same reason we all take off our shoes before anyone is allowed on an airplane.

I do not take off my shoes and I bypass most of the security line due to my "Global Entry Card"

Last two times I flew it was 15 minutes from entering the airport to the gate. It is a major time/headache saver.

Hubby went from getting to the airport 2 hrs before a flight, to getting to the security line about 30-45 minutes before boarding and being A-OK. We're quite a jaunt from the airport in Denver (because the Denver airport is essentially in Kansas), and he takes an Uber there, so maximizing his time is helpful.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Hubby has TSA pre and travels a lot. We keep meaning to get me TSA pre and also the Global Entry for both of us because, well, because I hate lines and most people in them and I have relatively no filter at all.

GEC includes TSA pre so you just need to get the one to get both sets of benefits. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Hubby went from getting to the airport 2 hrs before a flight, to getting to the security line about 30-45 minutes before boarding and being A-OK. We're quite a jaunt from the airport in Denver (because the Denver airport is essentially in Kansas), and he takes an Uber there, so maximizing his time is helpful.

Heh, our first time with the GEC we did not realize how much of a boon it really was. So we got the gate in 15 mins... and then found a place to eat dinner and kill 90 minutes or so until the plan arrived! :lol:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    I am several pages behind and reading while I get ready to go for a run :) Now I need to comment on a few before I head out and am even further behind!
    @sarahthes - I love being able to fix things myself and now with youtube you can find videos of how to do pretty much any repair!
    On the bugs... I just hate when they get stuck in my gum and crunch :confounded: I think they are going to be bad in most parts of the country this year because of all the rain and humidity.
    @seanevan10 - Welcome back!! I am so happy to see you back here, even if just lurking. I hope the depression is lifting and you are feeling better.
    @Scott6255 - I am pretty sure @girlinahat is in the UK. If she doesn't respond here you might PM her and see if she is running it or anywhere nearby.
    @midwesterner85 - I use the fitletic waist belt (https://fitletic.com/running/) but they also have armbands/pouches mostly for phones but may have something you could use. I like the waist band I have because it has 2 pockets and I can add water bottles on to it. It also doesn't bounce at all.
    @megamoose - you are having an awesome month! Great job on being consistent and getting the miles in! On sweating - I also sweat SO much! I now wear a headband under my hat on my forehead to keep the sweat from running so much in my eyes. I don't remember who posted it but I got the Gymbands and they work great as does one of my old Buffs sort of folded up.
    @RunsOnEspresso - I second what @rheddmobile said about going slow when starting with the albuterol. My husband is no athlete and it made his heart pound initially. Did the allergist talk about doing any blood tests for identifying your allergens? The new allergy doc my husband went to did that and it was very comprehensive, no more skin/scratch tests any longer.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Thank you, but the reason a phone holder doesn't work is because it needs to be thicker than a phone. If you are old enough to recall the old cameras with film, then that is an approximation of the size of the vial. Or, basically a roll of quarters except a bit bigger around and a bit shorter... a roll of dollar coins? Anyway, these both look too thin from the pics.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    For anyone that may not know Pat's run is for Pat Tilman and a HUGE deal in Phoenix. Pat Tilman was an ASU football player who then played for the Cardinals and voluntarily joined the military after 9/11. He was eventually shot and killled by friendly fire. So the race is done as close to 4/20 ( he was #42) as possible which landed the Saturday after the Boston bombings that year.

Honestly it was difficult to even go that year. I dedicated my run/bib to Boston that year and had tears ending at the 42 yard line of sundevil stadium. It's a race that brings out everyone.

@RunsOnEspresso - we knew Pat but I did not know about this race. I will look for it next year! A friend of our's son played with Pat at ASU and we would drive over for all the home games and they were able to help us get tickets for the Rose Bowl game. He was the sweetest, nicest guy and SO incredibly smart! We kept in touch until he went in the military... :(

If you fly at all or drive across to Canada or Mexico the TTP is SO worth it. We had TSA PreCheck for years because we traveled so much with AA. They no longer provide it with their loyalty program so I paid the money, had the interview and got my number. It works for domestic and international flights and helps with getting through customs at the airport.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I also get annoyed at ignorant people at airport security and I try to avoid flying as much as possible. But I'm always super slow going through security because I opt out of the body scanner. The radiation can damage my medical equipment and I'm not willing to take the risk of dying a month or 2 later when that damaged/weakened component breaks and I suddenly get 3 days of insulin in only a few seconds. TSA is better than they used to be - they used to argue with me and proclaim "people go through with insulin pumps all the time and they are fine." Really?! Did you follow them around for several months? And even if they were fine, the manufacturer doesn't gain anything by telling us about the risk... I tend to believe their motives are pure. Even if I'm only 1 in 1,000 that ends up dead; I'm still not going to take the risk. So now, I don't even give a reason. I just say I'm opting out and don't say why. If they ask why, I tell them because I have a right to do so. They can't argue with that. But anymore, they don't even ask why.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I also get annoyed at ignorant people at airport security and I try to avoid flying as much as possible. But I'm always super slow going through security because I opt out of the body scanner. The radiation can damage my medical equipment and I'm not willing to take the risk of dying a month or 2 later when that damaged/weakened component breaks and I suddenly get 3 days of insulin in only a few seconds. TSA is better than they used to be - they used to argue with me and proclaim "people go through with insulin pumps all the time and they are fine." Really?! Did you follow them around for several months? And even if they were fine, the manufacturer doesn't gain anything by telling us about the risk... I tend to believe their motives are pure. Even if I'm only 1 in 1,000 that ends up dead; I'm still not going to take the risk. So now, I don't even give a reason. I just say I'm opting out and don't say why. If they ask why, I tell them because I have a right to do so. They can't argue with that. But anymore, they don't even ask why.

Dang, sorry you have to put up with that, but glad you stick to your guns on it!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I did a rather rushed dreadmdill run this morning before *my last day of work for the summer!! Woot Woot!*
    1.25 miles running and .25 walking

31 running miles in May, 44.75 miles forward motion

@midwesterner85 , are you concerned for your pump and your cgm, or just the pump when you do the body scan? We haven't traveled by air with my son since his diagnosis, but I hadn't heard that the scanners could be an issue. He only uses the CGM, not a pump. He's also autistic, so it would be more traumatic for him to have someone touch him than to go through the scanner.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber I've been on albuterol for like 20+ years so no issues with it when running. Trellegy is new but it's basically advair so been on that before too. I think I've tried every asthma medicine over the 30 plus years since diagnosis. I started on a liquid in elementary school then moved to pill and finally albuterol.

This was the first allergy testing I've had done. I have a script for blood to test bees/wasps.

They also do a virtual Pat's Run if you can't make it to Tempe. It's been happening for 12+ years? I think they year I did it was the 9th annual.

@midwesterner85 oh man that's gotta be tough. I think every time I go there is someone that opts out for various reasons and the reason shouldn't matter to TSA. I doubt they are writing down reasons and doing a report.