Options

Replies

• gmiller725
    gmiller725 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    5/29- 2 mile run
    5/13- 0.5 mile walk/hike

2.5 of 10 mile goal

Second run/walk for the month! I think I can get atleast one more in before the month is over. I won’t make my goal but I haven’t run since February so this is a good start!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    On the topic of packs and such... I have a Nathan brand vest (water bottles in the front, pack in the back; but it can hold a hydration bladder in the back too if I want). I also have an Osprey vest that only holds a bladder, and no space for bottles in front.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm not comfortable being more than 1 hr. away from my glucometer (if my CGM is not reading well, I want to be even closer). And I always carry glucose tablets even if for only 10 min. The glucose tablets fit in the pocket of my Nathan hand-strap water bottle. The meter will not fit along with glucose tablets. I've tried running with a 2nd hand-strap bottle, and that doesn't work well to have bottles in both hands.

Since some races do not allow hydration packs / backpacks, I've been looking for an armband zippered pouch that is big enough to fit my glucometer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would need to be approximately 4 in. X 3 in. X 1 in. and of course I anticipate it to be a soft shell case because it would be on an armband. Thanks in advance!

Would it be possible to get an exception for races? What about the spibelt, or something similar?
    On the topic of packs and such... I have a Nathan brand vest (water bottles in the front, pack in the back; but it can hold a hydration bladder in the back too if I want). I also have an Osprey vest that only holds a bladder, and no space for bottles in front.

As a type 1 diabetic, I'm not comfortable being more than 1 hr. away from my glucometer (if my CGM is not reading well, I want to be even closer). And I always carry glucose tablets even if for only 10 min. The glucose tablets fit in the pocket of my Nathan hand-strap water bottle. The meter will not fit along with glucose tablets. I've tried running with a 2nd hand-strap bottle, and that doesn't work well to have bottles in both hands.

Since some races do not allow hydration packs / backpacks, I've been looking for an armband zippered pouch that is big enough to fit my glucometer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would need to be approximately 4 in. X 3 in. X 1 in. and of course I anticipate it to be a soft shell case because it would be on an armband. Thanks in advance!

Not an arm-band, but I have a little Nathan waist pouch that would fit a meter, strips, and glucose tablets perfectly. Similar to this one, but mine is a couple of years old. It stretches out to fit my phone. It could probably hold a meter *and* a phone, if neither were giant-sized.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Mirage-Waist-Pack-Cockatoo/dp/B01K4BJD9I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527542823&sr=8-7&keywords=nathan+waist+pack

ETA: And I agree with @Elise4270 , you should be able to get an exception (reasonable accommodation) if you need a pack for your supplies.

I did email the RD and they said a small waist pack would be alright, but no bags. I really prefer an armband over a waist pack / fanny pack. It just feels better and doesn't slip so much as I run. I'm going to get by with a 2nd phone armband this time (it will fit a bit awkward, but will make do). Still would like to find a zippered armband pouch at some point.

BAH. What is the problem with backpacks? I mean I get no strollers, and what not. But backpacks? Seriously?

I have a feeling it is because of the issue in Boston. The part that bothers me most is that there is no information about that anywhere. I was at another race recently and was talking to someone before-hand who had signed up for this too. I mentioned the diabetes thing and how for a longer race like that, I would carry my meter in a hydration vest pack. He is the one who first told me there would not be any packs allowed and said he had been emailing with the RD about it. I double-checked the website and there is no information about that anywhere... so I emailed the RD to confirm and even explained the reason I wanted to carry a hydration vest. The response was that backpacks and hydration vests would not be allowed but a "small" waist pack would be fine.

Oh well... I need to figure that out for other races with similar circumstances in the future. Would definitely like to find a zippered bicep pouch for it.

That blows. I'm not one for breaking any rules.... But you could play dumb and take it. :blush: put a shirt over it? You're the hunchback of the race? :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Would it be possible to get an exception for races? What about the spibelt, or something similar?

Not an arm-band, but I have a little Nathan waist pouch that would fit a meter, strips, and glucose tablets perfectly. Similar to this one, but mine is a couple of years old. It stretches out to fit my phone. It could probably hold a meter *and* a phone, if neither were giant-sized.

https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Mirage-Waist-Pack-Cockatoo/dp/B01K4BJD9I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527542823&sr=8-7&keywords=nathan+waist+pack

ETA: And I agree with @Elise4270 , you should be able to get an exception (reasonable accommodation) if you need a pack for your supplies.

I did email the RD and they said a small waist pack would be alright, but no bags. I really prefer an armband over a waist pack / fanny pack. It just feels better and doesn't slip so much as I run. I'm going to get by with a 2nd phone armband this time (it will fit a bit awkward, but will make do). Still would like to find a zippered armband pouch at some point.

BAH. What is the problem with backpacks? I mean I get no strollers, and what not. But backpacks? Seriously?

I have a feeling it is because of the issue in Boston. The part that bothers me most is that there is no information about that anywhere. I was at another race recently and was talking to someone before-hand who had signed up for this too. I mentioned the diabetes thing and how for a longer race like that, I would carry my meter in a hydration vest pack. He is the one who first told me there would not be any packs allowed and said he had been emailing with the RD about it. I double-checked the website and there is no information about that anywhere... so I emailed the RD to confirm and even explained the reason I wanted to carry a hydration vest. The response was that backpacks and hydration vests would not be allowed but a "small" waist pack would be fine.

Oh well... I need to figure that out for other races with similar circumstances in the future. Would definitely like to find a zippered bicep pouch for it.

That blows. I'm not one for breaking any rules.... But you could play dumb and take it. :blush: put a shirt over it? You're the hunchback of the race? :smiley:

He probably could make a stink and fight it based on his medical need but probably not worth it since it sounds like he has a work around.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I saw an asthma and allergy doc this morning.

I am allergic to mesquite tree. Only like one of the most popular trees here. Nothing else came up but he thinks I have more allergies but because they are nasal base they won't show on skin test.

Asthma is actually doing well but I have vocal chord dysfunction which may be my issue with dizziness while running.

I also got an order for a blood test for bees and wasps because I once had a reaction and apparently avoiding wasps is not a good plan. He also is having an epi pen sent to take on runs/hikes. Just in case.

I got a medicine with advair plus something for vocal chord dysfunction. Albuterol. And have to start flonase scentamist.

Go slower than usual until you know how the Albuterol is going to affect you while running - my husband has to be careful about when he takes it, because if he takes it too close to a hard run, it gives him heart palpitations.

I have used albuterol for like 20+ years.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I should have run outside this morning, but I was waiting for Drywall Guy to come and assess my fallen-in garage ceiling, so...I didn't. That meant dreadmill time at the purply planet of fitness. I'll probably be there for the next few days if the weather channel has anything to say about it. I ran 2 miles and walked 1.5 and it watched some really awful soap opera in which some ostensibly nice guy got tricked by his own dad (?) into breaking up with his pregnant girlfriend and was about to marry someone else. I mean what the heck?

29.75 running miles in May, 43.5 miles forward motion
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

He probably could make a stink and fight it based on his medical need but probably not worth it since it sounds like he has a work around.

I agree. It's just sad that a waiver can't/won't be issued to someone with medical needs.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I can’t believe you can’t get a medical waiver. That’s so appallingly discriminatory.

I have this pack - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XD2GAC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527624989&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=omm+waist+pack&dpPl=1&dpID=51SVEmQ1vbL&ref=plSrch

They don’t call these things ‘fanny packs’ over here (‘fanny’ relates to a certain part of female anatomy) but ‘bum-bags’. And that’s how I would wear such a pack. It has elastic ties so can be squeezed tight. I can carry a jacket, water, all kinds of stuff and it doesn’t jiggle.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I know it’s inconvenient but especially in bigger races the no pack rules are for everyones safety.
    Just means there’s opportunity for someone on this thread to make their millions developing mini-pockets or something to hold medical gear! :smiley:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Perhaps, but it is not worth the fuss. I will say that the extra weight definitely does not give me an advantage at all, but that has nothing to do with the reason they are not allowed.

I think I might get this to try out, but won't be in time this go around. It's alright, will give me time to train with it for next time: https://www.ebay.com/i/302411059787?chn=ps
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    05/02/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 6.1
    05/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 8.7
    05/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.7
    05/05/18 :::: 7.5 :::: 16.2
    05/06/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 18.8
    05/07/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 22.5
    05/08/18 :::: 3.3 :::: 25.9
    05/09/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 29.1
    05/10/18 :::: 2.0 :::: 31.1
    05/11/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 31.1
    05/12/18 :::: 12.0 :::: 43.0
    05/13/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 43.0
    05/14/18 :::: 3.9 :::: 46.9
    05/15/18 :::: 3.9 :::: 50.8
    05/16/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 53.9
    05/17/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 53.9
    05/18/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 56.7
    05/19/18 :::: 7.4 :::: 64.0
    05/20/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 66.6
    05/21/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 70.2
    05/22/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 73.3
    05/23/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 76.1
    05/24/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 76.1
    05/25/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 79.2
    05/26/18 :::: 8.1 :::: 87.2
    05/27/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 92.3
    05/28/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 95.1
    05/29/18 :::: 2.4 :::: 97.5

Hot again! Really should run in the morning. After work was sweltering, but we ran past a guy in his driveway with a hose and he sprayed it up in the air so we could run through it - it was heavenly. Then he gave us his card for car detailing and paint repair work :) He may have gotten himself a couple of customers.

Closing in on that goal of 100 miles. Should have made it by now but the short runs are all I had in me the last couple of days. I will probably just barely squeak it out as I think tomorrow will be a rest day.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I managed a 4.0 mile run/walk yesterday. Plantar fasciitis decided to behave and I was able to get in three comfortable miles. Last mile was a run/walk mainly because one of my neighbors started walking her dogs and I stopped to meet them. Hard to start running afterwards and it was 90 F at the end.

PT starts tomorrow for Plantar fasciitis, so hoping that goes well. I will be run/walking my 5K this weekend.

@sarahthes @Elise4270 @fitoverfortymom - Mosquitoes have been jokingly labeled as the state bird of Louisiana because of their size and numbers in the state.

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018 - Done
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K - 02/17/2018 - Done
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf - 6.5 miles 3/24/2018 -DNS
    Fat Boy 5K - 04/14/2018 - Cancelled due to Tornado Warning
    Active for Autism 5K - 05/05/2018 - Done - Walked
    AKA CANN 5K - 06/02/2018 -
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 - ?
    August Race - ?
    Saints Kick Off Run - 09/08/2018 -?
    WHOA Racing Cane Field Classic 2018 (Machete 7 – 1 mile/4 mile/2mile) 10/13/2018- ?
    Cajun Cup OR Middendorf's Manchac Run - 11/10/2018 - ?
    St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 10K - 12/01/2018
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    4 miles treadmill. Tired after traveling today and then tried to do some intervals on the treadmill... did not go well. After 2 intervals, I just went with a slow and steady pace for the remainder. Just wasn't happening.

And I may just make that goal after all... it will be close either way:

exercise.png
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @bride001 - I remember you mentioning needing an August race. It looks like you are in the NOLA area? My dad is still trying to talk me into the NOLA red dress race. It is in August. I don’t remember which day, as I’m still trying to remind my father that running in NOLA in August would literally kill me... but there is still a chance you would have a race buddy if ya did that one.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary Aukland, NZ? I spent a week in the area in the late 80's when I was a young(er) man traveling the South Pacific. Wasn't into running then but did lots of day hikes exploring the country.

Yes, it is Auckland, although this spot is actually a good 45 minutes drive north of the city. Still technically Auckland district but it's more precisely Shakespear Regional Park on the Whangapararoa Peninsula.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    So close to goal. Should be a doddle to achieve given tomorrow is 10k Thursday, however, I've agreed to go on a school trip with my daughter which mucks with my usual routine and I'll be relying on my husband to be home early so I can get out before it gets too dark and cold.

1 May: 11.64
    2 May: 6.0 + yoga
    3 May: 7.22
    4 May: Rest
    5 May: 6.6 + yoga
    6 May: 12.74
    7 May: yoga
    8 May: 6.72
    9 May: yoga
    10 May: 10.04
    11 May: rest
    12 May: yoga
    13 May: 13.13
    14 May: yoga
    15 May: 6.59
    16 May: yoga
    17 May: 10.12
    18 May: pizza
    19 May: yoga
    20 May: 14.01
    21 May: 5.58 + yoga
    22 May: 5.01
    23 May: yoga
    24 May: 10.18
    25 May: rest
    26 May: yoga
    27 May: Xterra 10.07
    28 May: rest
    29 May: 6.96
    30 May: yoga

142.61 of 150km
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Teerai wrote: »
    I know it’s inconvenient but especially in bigger races the no pack rules are for everyones safety.

I do not see how it makes anyone safer. :) Honestly, I have never even heard of a "no bag" race till now, and have been in races with 10s of thousands of runners and races with 10s of runners. In several states. So thankfully this must just be a rare thing that some odd races do.

In the end, does not really matter I guess. He has a workaround and so all is good
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    No run today... more house hunting. I think we are putting in an offer on one tomorrow though which will make the next 2 months very sporadic for running... probably gain 10 pounds!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The St Jude Marathon deals with race safety by giving everyone clear backpacks - which wouldn't help with the hydration issue, admittedly.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Look... just because that 1 time, some terrorists who were not even runners entered in the race decided to do something terrible, 1 time... it suddenly became unsafe for runners in a race to have backpacks?!

1 time. I'm not trying to minimize the severity, but this isn't exactly a pattern of technique.