Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think that's accurate assessment of why - wanting to be helpful, with the assumption the other person is clueless (like perhaps they were/are).

I've pointed out some expired product on a shelf I just got done dealing with and next person was grabbing for it - but I've not observed most looking at such a thing (it was non-bread) so thought it would be useful.

ETA: reminds me of my 9 yr old, who sometimes thinks he's sharing some piece of info I must not know about. From his point of view he didn't know, I must not either.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think the only time I have ever approached someone in the grocery store is because they parked next to me and I was sitting in my car for a few minutes and noticed they left their lights on. They seemed appreciative, but if I had made comments on their food choices I doubt they would have had the same reaction.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't use really use low-calorie sweeteners because I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I've never understood the appeal of stevia as a 'natural' alternative to splenda and friends. It's still very processed.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Relevant, especially with @mph323 's bubble analogy:
    9d4zbo9bawxj.jpg

Clicking the AWESOME button!
  • NicoleHaki
    NicoleHaki Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »

Where is the advice? If my family members smoked or consumed artificial sweeteners (which they don't - we're a pretty healthy family), I would encourage them to make choices I considered to be better based on the correlational studies I've seen and the fact that I don't see a compelling benefit to consuming artificial sweeteners - that's a hypothetical, and I haven't given advice to anyone on this forum at all.

Encouraging a family member is worlds different from lecturing a complete stranger in public about their choices. Even if it's the worst sh#t in the world, that doesn't give you the right.

Yeah of course- I think for the most part we all agree that lecturing a stranger in public isn't the best etiquette.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

It's the extremely convincing advertising. When "natural" vs "artificial" became a big thing, companies learned to target the natural or nothing crowd by hammering on the fact that stevia (as an example) is initially extracted from the leaves of an actual plant, where other sweeteners are entirely created in a lab. There's no legal definition of the term "natural" so it can be used pretty much any way anyone wants - stick a big picture of a thriving green plant on a package and plaster the word "natural alternative" across the front and you've got a winner. Most people won't look at the processing involved to get to the end product because they want to believe there's a natural low calorie alternative to sugar that doesn't have a chemically sounding name. This is my take on it, at least.

I'm sure you're right, it just drives me crazy. Especially since one of the main arguments against low-calorie sweeteners is that they mess with your hormones by making your body expect sugar, then why would it matter what the source of the sweetener is!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I just realized I do have a recent invasion of my business story... the last time I got my hair cut I was paying and I left my customary tip. A gentleman listening in was not appreciative of my perceived excess generosity ($5) and decided he needed to tell me I was making everyone else look bad. This, of course, made me mad because these poor people stand on their feet all day, my tip might have been $1.50 over the normal percentage, and moreover, was certainly none of his business. I have personal philosophies that I have crafted over the years that I hope help me be a decent person and one that applied here prompted my reply "I always try to take care of people who take care of me."

I really like that reply. I have the same philosophy and do the same with tips. I have to think that someone who would feel that what you choose to tip makes him look bad may have some internal ambiguity over his own choices.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    There are times where I feel like I really want to read scientific studies so I can retort back to people with smart responses when they tell me not to drink “that stuff” but then I’m like meh. Im bad with all that sciencey stuff