Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Truvia is great. That's the only thing I use in my coffee anymore. It's better than the other stevia brands. Much more mild.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I saw earlier that the example of women who used artificial sweeteners in pregnancy having obese infants/toddlers 1-2 years later.

Did the study investigate why they were using artificial sweeteners? Because I used Splenda during pregnancy due to being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Uncontrolled gestational diabetes is known to cause macrosomia (big babies) which is known to cause (increase risk of) obesity in toddlers later on.

Just more proof that correlation is not causation, and a much more plausible reason for the Splenda-obese toddlers correlation.

That was one of the variables they identified as having accounted for or normalized against. However they lumped it with a cohort of other variables. As contrasted with Maternal obesity which they controlled for separately.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Is sugar unhealthy or are artificial sweeteners unhealthy?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I'm confused. Is sugar unhealthy or are artificial sweeteners unhealthy?

Science has confirmed that every person who eats either of them will one day die.

I thought both were fine as long as it fit my calories?