Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My friend offerred a "homeless" guy complete with a begging sign a sandwich, crisps and a drink, he told her to *kitten* off..... 8 hours later on her way home from work she saw the same guy getting into a bow parked down a side street

Frankly, this sounds like the sort of thing that gets posted to Facebook as always having happened to someone's "friend" and is really just spewing misinformation about people that are already marginalized in our society so that the rest of us can feel better about social inequality.

There are several professional beggers in Toronto who when exposed at the time several years ago owned homes,cars and considerable savings. It was a big story for quite some time tgat identified the specific people.. they were pretty pissed and some moved to different cities so they could keep begging.

Now obviously this isnt a reality for all. But it does exist.

There's a known family who does it in my area. Two parents and 3 adolescent kids. None work and they make an obscene amount of money begging. Large house, multiple cars.. occasionally they get busted for it, but it's a fine or misdemeanor and they just pay it and go about their business.

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I had no problem with splenda but my mom noticed that even though doctors say it is better for folks with diabetes it sent her blood sugar all over the place compared to just using sugar in stuff.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    At Starbucks (!) I was standing at the bar with her - she reached across me for truvia, I reached across her for splenda. We smiled at each other. And she says out of the blue "You shouldn't use that stuff, you know. It's worse than sugar." I did my tight, inappropriate stranger smile and finished stirring my coffee - and she keeps on lecturing! "You really need to stop using that, it's nothing but chemicals. It's really a terrible thing to do to your body..." and on and on as she's walking out the door. I half-expected her to hand me a pamphlet directing me to some kind of artificial sweetener support group. It was kind of surreal - and I wish I hadn't been so stunned that I had absolutely nothing to say :(

I've read here about strangers making inappropriate comments in general about people's food choices, but usually not direct evangalizing to their faces - it's certainly a first for me! Does this sort of thing happen often, and am I just oblivious? Does anyone want to share a story?

And of course, now I'm thinking of all the things I could have said if I was just a little bit quicker on my feet - did anyone actually think fast enough to make a good comeback?

Is an open hand slap acceptable?

If not we need to bring it back.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I was buying a Monster Zero Ultra in my office building's cafe once and had a stranger say, "Did you see the article on Facebook about those?" I just glanced at her, said, "Nope!," and continued on about my business ignoring her. She didn't pursue the conversation, for which I was very grateful. I have no time for busybodies, especially ones who get their information from their Facebook feed. :neutral:

I :heart: Splenda. It's my go-to sweetener. I use 4 g in my standard cup of coffee (and, yes, I log those 13 calories). (Also, just to point out, I saw Splenda conflated with aspartame earlier in this thread. They are not the same thing. Splenda is not made with two amino acids. Splenda is made by combining dextrose, maltodextrin and sucralose [sucrose that has been altered to contain three chlorine atoms].) I like that I can easily cook/bake with Splenda too - easier than Equal/NutraSweet or Stevia. I find that Stevia leaves me with a bitter aftertaste like no other sweetener I've used and Equal/NutraSweet requires too many alterations to a recipe to make the flavor come out right.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I was buying a Monster Zero Ultra in my office building's cafe once and had a stranger say, "Did you see the article on Facebook about those?" I just glanced at her, said, "Nope!," and continued on about my business ignoring her. She didn't pursue the conversation, for which I was very grateful. I have no time for busybodies, especially ones who get their information from their Facebook feed. :neutral:

I :heart: Splenda. It's my go-to sweetener. I use 4 g in my standard cup of coffee (and, yes, I log those 13 calories). (Also, just to point out, I saw Splenda conflated with aspartame earlier in this thread. They are not the same thing. Splenda is not made with two amino acids. Splenda is made by combining dextrose, maltodextrin and sucralose [sucrose that has been altered to contain three chlorine atoms].) I like that I can easily cook/bake with Splenda too - easier than Equal/NutraSweet or Stevia. I find that Stevia leaves me with a bitter aftertaste like no other sweetener I've used and Equal/NutraSweet requires too many alterations to a recipe to make the flavor come out right.

Yup. That's what I get for posting when I'm on the run! Aspartame is the two amino acids.

You can get liquid sucralose which doesn't have dextrose or maltodextrin, though.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

A couple summers ago I was leaving a fancy pizza restaurant in Santa Barbara with some leftovers, and we passed a guy on the street with a sign that said “homeless and hungry please help”. I offered him the pizza leftovers and he said “no thanks, I don’t eat dairy”. Maybe it was the same guy!

I suppose I could understand if there were a dairy intolerance. I've offered food to homeless people and have never been turned down. But I would understand if I tried to give a bag of peanuts to someone and they declined because of an allergy.
    I started thinking the same, better have an allergy!
    Maybe if it was a one-ingredient food, but when I read this to my husband he said, if he was hungry and couldnt eat cheese, he would just pull off the cheese and eat the bread & tomato sauce!
    Clearly these people have never actually been hungry, they just want cash for whatever reason(s).