Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was at Starbucks yesterday and got soy milk in my iced coffee, and they didn't say anything to me but the 2 women behind were discussing very loudly (I'm sure they intended for me to hear) about how soy is "sooo bad for you" and almond milk is way better blah blah blah "toxinz, estrongen, etc". I couldn't help myself so I turned around, stared right at them, took a large sip, and went ahhhhh. They looked at me like I had just kicked a puppy, it was great!

I had a woman look into my grocery basket and tell her friend that soy milk was bad for you. If she were really smart she would have noticed it was almond milk. Eyes on your own cart.

This one is just a ton of irony. I was fixing coffee with creamer when a guy in front of the store, who had just been asking for money for food, comes in and tells me I shouldn't be using cows pus and its not fit for human consumption. Um, thanks?

Totally off topic - nice new profile pic!

Thank you!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Everyone has an opinion, there's science to back up both sides of the fake sugar debate. Why do you people have to be so *kitten* to someone who disagrees with you?

I don't know who flagged this or why, but the flag is inappropriate.

There is no actual science backing up the premise that "fake sugar" is harmful. If you read the first several posts in the "Aspartame isn't scary" thread you will find numerous legitimate peer-reviewed studies that show it is not. There are no legitimate peer-reviewed studies that show it is in people who have no adverse reactions to the components.

I'd rather this didn't turn into an "evil Splenda" thread, since the OP centers on inappropriate comments from strangers, and the circumstance of the specific comment is incidental to the conversation.

edited for clarity and grammar :embarrassed:

Stop acting like there's no science to back up the negative reviews of fake sugar. Science doesn't even know everything about it yet, but it's so great that you all apparently do.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

the conclusion from the paper you cite:

CONCLUSIONS
    Sugar substitutes in various food and beverages are very popular in most of the countries. Extensive scientific research has demonstrated the safety of the six low-calorie sweeteners currently approved for use in foods in the U.S. and Europe (stevia, acesulfame-K, aspartame, neotame, saccharin and sucralose) each with an acceptable daily intake. A number of studies have been carried out to confirm the safety of artificial sweeteners. A number of studies have also shown the adverse effects of the same. But most of the studies have limitations such as effects shown only in animals not in human, small sample size, high doses, statistically non-significant or borderline significant, etc. The sugar substitutes are thoroughly investigated for safety with hundreds of scientific studies and then approved by different regulatory authorities like the U.S. FDA, JECFA and FSANZ. Some agents are approved with warning labels too. So further exploration is required with well-designed large-scale studies in the general population. On the anecdotal evidence, it has been concluded that based on analysis of the database of case histories, there are a number of symptoms that are recurrently reported by individuals who believe that they are caused by sugar substitute ingestion. The information gathered in this analysis can be useful in guiding the design and format of any investigative study that may be undertaken to determine individual sensitivity to sugar substitutes.

I am not saying fake sugar causes cancer or kills you. I am saying, and the article agrees, that fake sure has been linked to weight gain and confuses your body's insulin response.

For people who are diabetic or trying to lose weight (most people on MFP), it gives them this idea that they can eat all that they want because it has no calories and is "healthy". I am not diabetic but I am hypoglycemic. When I switched from drinking regular soda to diet, my blood sugars would crash horribly, even worse than when I drank regular. I wasn't losing weight as I was before, and that was with no other dietrary changes.

So when you reduced intake of dietary sugar, your blood sugar crashed. Why is this surprising?

It's not surprising to have issues when changing your diet. But my blood sugar drops were few and far between after the change. I started a low carb diet a couple months ago and haven't had any drops in blood sugar even though I'm still techically hypoglycemic. By your response, that shouldn't happen but it did.

Not really, one of the reasons that low carb is recommended for diabetics is that it evens out blood sugar spikes thru the day. The same would be true in your case. Also, by training the body to not burn glucose (or less glucose) for energy, you wouldn't feel that 'crash' or need to replenish energy stores.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I offered a homeless guy an apple and some yogurt one morning. He didn't want either. I figured he couldn't be that hungry. I wasn't going to give him change.

I will pretty much always offer food, and I have never been turned down. One man nearly cried when I gave him a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. I hope that experience hasn't discouraged you from offering in the future.

Absolutely not. I've taken people in and bought a meal for them, at times. If I have something on hand, then I will give that. I had a lovely chat with a gentlemen who lives near the train station about the shelters downtown. He prefers to stay away due to being robbed in the past. I enjoy hearing the stories.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    N1K4CHU wrote: »
    To those people I say, "Cool story." Then I walk away.

Short and sweet! Doesn't leave much room for an argument, and may be unexpected enough to leave them scrambling to come up with a retort while you make your exit. I like it :)
  • N1K4CHU
    N1K4CHU Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    N1K4CHU wrote: »
    To those people I say, "Cool story." Then I walk away.

Short and sweet! Doesn't leave much room for an argument, and may be unexpected enough to leave them scrambling to come up with a retort while you make your exit. I like it :)

I've learned it's as frustrating to them as it is to me when I'm given unsolicited advice on what I choose to consume. Apathy is easier than trying to change their mind. ;)