How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    KFC and Popeyes are inedible for me. Every time I try to eat their food, it just tastes so bad I can't continue.

McD and BK (etc) are mostly edible, but not what I'd prefer to eat.

Chipotle tastes good to me. Hardly ever go there because home burritos are so easy and good.

Lots of fast food places out there, and haven't tried every option. Only things I really have a problem with are the fried chicken places and Big Macs (seriously crappy burger).
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Fast food makes me physically ill. Stomach cramps and then later TMI. I had some cheap peanut butter yesterday and it gave me bad heartburn.

My husband and I were talking about how he felt compelled to eat Reece's Pieces the other day saying they probably put something in it to make you keep eating it.

They normally are not sold in our country but you can get a 5lb bag at a Costco here.

My husband had never eaten any before. He doesn't have a weight problem and he can eat one square of chocolate and leave the rest for weeks. He doesn't even like peanut butter.

He said he felt compelled to just eat and eat the Reece's Pieces even though he felt sick to his stomach from eating so many he still kept eating them. They must manipulate it some way to make you keep eating and eating them. It is rather sick and manipulative if they do that.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Beer runs! I always go farther and run longer when I've had a (single) beer first. And chicken wings.
    My mother claims if she drinks a specific number of beers, it improves her bowling. One too few or one too many and it doesn't work.

LOL... I feel the same way when I play pool. Just the right amount of beer and I play better. :bigsmile:
  • paulabubble
    paulabubble Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would rather starve than eat fast food crap, like McD's, KFC, etc. But their are healthy options in Subway and Pita Pit. But me and my family very rarely , like once a year eat takeways, when we do it is just Burger Wisconsin, NEVER McD's KFC. That is so true, look at the queue of people at McD or KFC, most are obese and hello, that's what got them there - these high fat, high salt, high calories foods should be labeled like smokes, harms your health.
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do not label foods as good or bad, if it fits into my day, I eat it.

Pretty much this...

Agreed..
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I was going to post something but it looks like all the words in the English language have been used in this thread.

Bet you no one said fanny
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I rarely ate fast food even before I got into my "health kick." The rumors and horror stories (most of which I've deemed true now) I heard sickened me to the point where I ate fast food maybe four times a year -- and that's usually only because we're catching a bite to eat before a trip, hungry on the road, or out of food after a trip.

The nutritional facts (or lack thereof) are enough to make me coil in fear, but I almost never eat out now since I haven't a slightest clue what's in anything. Words cannot describe how scary and disgusting fast food is to me (and that's an understatement)!
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat "fast food", but that depends on how you define fast food. I rarely eat McDonald's (2+ years), Burger King (3-4+ years), etc. But I do eat some options at Wendy's (chili, baked potato), Subway, etc. It really depends on WHAT they offer.

But, you know, I still eat chocolate on a fairly regular basis, I'm known to eat potato chips or baked chips from time to time, etc. It just depends.

One other poster said that if it fits into their diet, they eat it. To a large degree, that's true for me too. But, with exceptions for TRUE junk (McDonald's hamburgers, etc.)

Obviously, the line is different for different people. But, find the line for you, and then don't cross it!

-David / BootJockey
    -257lbs
    I know how bad it is. I read the book fast food nation and I mostly trust and agree with the information in it. I've seen super size me. I regret eating that junk every single time.
    Yet I find myself mindlessly driving thru ordering the usual.

I would like to know how disgusting you find fast high-calorie low nutrient food, in my effort to find it uneatable.
    And for the one's who'll say it's delicious and tell us their favorite mcdonalds joke or pun, I'll let a ha ha out in advance.

But seriously does anybody else know how bad it is, and still eat it regularly? what do you tell yourself to stop it?

Thank you
  • Knottyhighd88
    Knottyhighd88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't even crave fast food anymore! I used to be able to eat a whole pizza by myself! Looking back, I had the worst diet ever!!
  • teresachelton99
    teresachelton99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is for the man whom commented about there being nine out of ten people at any drive- thru being morbidly obese.

I have not ever seen nine out of ten people at a fast food place that are morbidly obese.
    I do agree that it definitely contributes to the problem, but just because a person is skinny on the outside does not mean that is how they look on the inside. There are many reasons and factors that go into being overweight. If you were a medical professional you would know that. Morbidity has finally been recognized as a disease, and maybe our government will finally do something about it.
    What about how you are feed by your parents or your school as a child. Do you know that most children already have the beginning of heart disease by the age of five?
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I had 5 bk stackers after gym today,
  • Kilokato
    Kilokato Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't even crave fast food anymore! I used to be able to eat a whole pizza by myself! Looking back, I had the worst diet ever!!

Same here, I used to be able to polish off an entire Hawaiian BBQ Chicken pizza in like 4 hours. Makes me sick to think about it now. When I'd go to Taco Bell, I would get like 5 items. That's as much as I eat in a day now!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food simply because I choose not to. It is not evil, it is not bad, it is none of the things I have read here describing it.

It is funny how people fall into the anti-ANYTHING campaigns.

I don't like red cars so I don't buy them, I do not care if you do !
    I don't like Wal-Mart so I don't shop there, I do not care if you do !
    I don't like chocolate ice cream so I don't buy it, I do not care if you do !

If you choose to do or not to do something, feel free to do just that. I assure you I do not care, it is not my place to judge you NOR is it your place to judge you.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to stop eating it, that's something you'll have to work through. It might not be easy!

But I can tell you that once you go a while without it (a month or so) you'll be less inclined to crave it. You'll start going days and weeks without even thinking about it and when you do think about it you'll find it easier to put it out of your mind. Soon you'll find it's been months and you haven't had any! And maybe you'll have it every once in a while, like every few months, but there isn't anything too awful about that as long as you can control it.

My thing was zesty cheese doritos. I could not have those things in the house without eating the entire (big) bag in one sitting and I'd find myself in the grocery store buying them all the time. And also, big mac meals.

But now it's been months since I've had either and I never crave them! One thing that helps me is eating constantly, as strange as that sounds. When I get hungry I feel sick and grumpy and I need to eat right away. it's really easy for me to grab something unhealthy. I've started taking healthy snacks wherever I go (almonds, babybells, bananas, etc) and I try to eat something every couple of hours. I stay with in my calorie goal (most of the time) and don't usually crave anything bad. And when I do, it's easier to satisfy with something good.

**disclaimer** if you look at my food log, you'll see I went crazy overboard this weekend. Fish and Chips. This is not usual. but I find it easy to slide back into healthy eating and calorie goals without hesitation the next day. That's another important trick: learning not to feel as though you've "ruined" anything by eating unhealthy every once in a while.

Good luck! One day at a time.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It takes just as much time to stumble through the produce section of a grocery store for some bananas and a pint of berries. Eat an entire freakin container if you must. Still a better choice.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It takes just as much time to stumble through the produce section of a grocery store for some bananas and a pint of berries. Eat an entire freakin container if you must. Still a better choice.

Better than what?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Better than what?
    Better than nothing? I mean, I suppose a crap ton of sugar and no fat or protein is ok if you just need some energy, but really, a 500 calorie Big Mac has a much better macronutrient profile than 500 calories of bananas and berries, so I'm not sure what that post was talking about. Maybe just another zealot with no mind for how nutrition actually works?
  • Notgivingup130
    Options
    Depends on what restaurant......
    I never eat anything that has meat in it.

Seriously fries are so good they never disgust me but somehting like a big mac or something heavy is disgusting. And Taco Bell burritos , etc. I am not disgusted buy.. I admit I eat it , but I try my best to stay away from them as much as possible because the ingredients are the weirdest ingredients ever. So why not have much more food worth the same amount of calories at home and you know what you're putting inside your body !!! The word fast food is gross as is.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Most food from restaurants is junk food anyway. A Subway sub is just a giant burger, really.

I'm in the IIFYM camp. I should pay attention to things like trans fats but this whole 'toxic' movement is getting out of hand.

Just relax. Stay within your macros (or just calories if you don't want to track macros) and eat what's worth the calories.

I love hot chips but I don't eat them a lot because they just blow out my calorie goals when I do. I don't limit my consumption because they're 'toxic', I just try to manage my calories.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    most people on this site are young, and when you're young you think you can do, eat & drink pretty well whatever you like & you'll be ok,

when you get to my age (53) friends & family start having health problems; diabetes, heart complaints, strokes & other sorts of obesity/ liver/ fatty related problems & it makes you really sit up; I sat up much earlier as my father died of a heart attack when I was 27.

what you eat and drink when you're young builds the foundations for your body's health when you get older; you can see the obesity on the outside but you can't see the fat deposits building up on your internal organs or lining the insides of your veins and arteries.

when I was younger a huge percentage of people smoked, everywhere, my Grandma's ceiling was a golden yellow colour from the smoke that drifted up there; pubs and bars stank; people were allowed to smoke on aircraft! and blow smoke over your food in restaurants! this is not long ago,
    and so it will be with fast food; there is a global obesity problem, I don't know the USA numbers but in the UK over 50% of children aged 11 are significantly overweight so the general trans fat issue, like smoking, will be addressed & cut down,

but you guys can get ahead of the game, you can choose not to eat it; you don't need to wait till you're old like me to see it's effects, look at your older friends & relatives, I'm sure lots of you know folks with major health issues or have even lost people;

fast food, like tobacco, is garbage, simple as, I think if you cut it down it pretty soon gets cut out; I can't imagine sitting down to a pizza, or a burger, or some fish & chips, whatever appeal they once had has long since disappeared.