How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat much fast food. The whole fits in your macros thing is fine but the majority of if lacks any micronutrients. You know, the vitamins and minerals we all need to survive.

That being said, McDonalds' fries are just fantastic, but just google "year old happy meal". The burger and fries look almost the same 12 months later. Something definitely something wrong with "food" that doesn't rot!

Same thing happens to fries and burgers you cook at home. They dry out before they rot or mold.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat really any fast food anymore (except for Subways or the rare Hardee's Ham/Egg/Cheese croissant) not so much for the calories or that it's "bad" for me. It's mostly because I'm either 1) Starving 2 hrs. later or 2) Doesn't settle on my tummy. Most beef, from any restaurant (fast or high end 'sit down' steak house) does not digest properly for me. I get severe pain and discomfort. I usually stick to chicken/pork/fish/meatless if I do eat out.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat much fast food. The whole fits in your macros thing is fine but the majority of if lacks any micronutrients. You know, the vitamins and minerals we all need to survive.

That being said, McDonalds' fries are just fantastic, but just google "year old happy meal". The burger and fries look almost the same 12 months later. Something definitely something wrong with "food" that doesn't rot!

Same thing happens to fries and burgers you cook at home. They dry out before they rot or mold.

Enjoy!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for the roll.

Oh, and...
    Have you watched Supersize Me? That was pretty disturbing in terms of the effects on someone's health of eating McD's 3 times a day.

I'll put a little more faith in Spurlock's conclusions when his math improves. His entire premise isn't reconcilable with his supposed calorie intake. (In other words, he ate more than he claims he did...and more calories = weight gain.)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Fast food makes me sick within an hour of eating it, except Subway.

That's purely mental.

Why would you say that? Fast food often makes me sick as well. My son too. I love it; it does not love me.

Because it's nonsensical. Even at a single restaurant, the vast variety of foods offered don't all have some magic ingredient in common that would make someone sick. "Fast food" isn't a single thing - it can be a grilled chicken salad, a steak taco, french fries, a bean and rice burrito, a double cheeseburger, whatever.

"Fast food makes me sick" is a purely mental thing because there's zero biological plausibility to the idea.

I think that most people associate "fast food" with burgers, filet o' fish, etc, but I'll give that I may not get sick if eat a salad or something. However, I'm just not to going to order that at a fast food place. I go there for the burgers, even though they make me sick. And that's a physical reaction; I don't do well with grease, and the grease at fast food (and other restaurants sometimes) is worse than oil I cook with at home. My poor son rarely even makes it out the of restaurant before he's in the bathroom. That's not mental.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. Do they somehow remove the nutrients from the meat and vegetables before serving them? I'm pretty sure they don't.

A cheeseburger from a fast food restaurant has the same macros and micros as a cheeseburger from virtually anywhere else.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Have you watched Supersize Me? That was pretty disturbing in terms of the effects on someone's health of eating McD's 3 times a day.

That wasn't about the effects of eating McD's 3 times a day. It was about the effects of massively overeating, sometimes to the point of puking, every day.

QFT

I guess most people overlook that when Spurlock ate there he ingested some of the most calorie packed meals they had. Large strawberry shake? The 32oz triple thick shake has over 1000 calories in it. I would gladly trade that in for 3 slices of pizza.

^^^This.

Supersize Me is far from a documentary. It wasn't just about what he ate, but how much. He could have done the same thing eating 8000 calories of supermarket food a day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That wasn't about the effects of eating McD's 3 times a day. It was about the effects of massively overeating, sometimes to the point of puking, every day.

QFT

I guess most people overlook that when Spurlock ate there he ingested some of the most calorie packed meals they had. Large strawberry shake? The 32oz triple thick shake has over 1000 calories in it. I would gladly trade that in for 3 slices of pizza.

^^^This.

Supersize Me is far from a documentary. It wasn't just about what he ate, but how much. He could have done the same thing eating 8000 calories of supermarket food a day.

Depending on what food he chose at the supermarket, yes. It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I don't think he consumed that many calories.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Depending on what food he chose at the supermarket, yes. It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I don't think he consumed that many calories.

Three supersized meals a day from a fast food joint and you don't think he consumed "that many calories"???
  • bcattoes
    Options
    A cheeseburger from a fast food restaurant has the same macros and micros as a cheeseburger from virtually anywhere else.

Even within one place the nutrient content would vary by burger. A Big Mac and a Happy Meal hamburger won't have the same macro or micro breakdown.

Compare a regular McD hambuger to a steakhouse 1/3 lb burger on an onion bun to a 97% lean homemade burger on a whole wheat bun and they will all be different.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Three supersized meals a day from a fast food joint and you don't think he consumed "that many calories"???

He averaged 5,000.
  • bcattoes
    Options

8000? No. Plus, they weren't all supersized. He only supersized when asked and it was < 25% of the time, maybe less than 10%. And he made a point to eat every item on the menu, so sometimes was eating the salads and other things that have a supersized option.
  • rml_16
    Options

Even within one place the nutrient content would vary by burger. A Big Mac and a Happy Meal hamburger won't have the same macro or micro breakdown.

Compare a regular McD hambuger to a steakhouse 1/3 lb burger on an onion bun to a 97% lean homemade burger on a whole wheat bun and they will all be different.
    OMG.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY???

Obviously the size makes a difference. You really need to find something more productive to do with your time.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

LMAO. Thats what I was thinking. Maybe he got a diet coke? :tongue:
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Not gross, because sometimes a big mac really hits the spot.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    Not gross. I'm eating chinese food right now :)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think of all the chemicals and trans-fats. Aside from the fat that fast food has always made me want to throw up. For a quick meal on the go I hit up Qdoba. Naked Steak salad.
  • rddy4change
    rddy4change Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, the quality of the food set aside, when you think about being at the mercy of the food handler, it can get quite discusting. Nose picking, lack of hand washing, picking things up off the floor, cross contamination, under cooking and temperature control. These things are all out of site and there is no way of knowing if standards are being met.

After seeing an undercover program aimed at showing what really goes on behinds the scene, I am leary of fast food.

This.
  • bcattoes
    Options

OMG.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY???

Obviously the size makes a difference. You really need to find something more productive to do with your time.

The fat content, and whole grain vs. white makes a difference too. And then there are toppings. Most steak houses and homes offer more veg toppings than just a tiny bit of lettuce.
  • rml_16
    Options

OMG.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY???

The fat content, and whole grain vs. white makes a difference too. And then there are toppings. Most steak houses and homes offer more veg toppings than just a tiny bit of lettuce.
    *sigh*

I hope you don't actually take yourself seriously.