How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Depending on what food he chose at the supermarket, yes. It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I don't think he consumed that many calories.

Three supersized meals a day from a fast food joint and you don't think he consumed "that many calories"???

He averaged 5,000.

Do you believe that he'd have seen the same results if he'd eaten 5000 calories of supermarket food, no matter what food choices he'd made at the market?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A cheeseburger from a fast food restaurant has the same macros and micros as a cheeseburger from virtually anywhere else.

Even within one place the nutrient content would vary by burger. A Big Mac and a Happy Meal hamburger won't have the same macro or micro breakdown.

Compare a regular McD hambuger to a steakhouse 1/3 lb burger on an onion bun to a 97% lean homemade burger on a whole wheat bun and they will all be different.
    OMG.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY???

Obviously the size makes a difference. You really need to find something more productive to do with your time.

The fat content, and whole grain vs. white makes a difference too. And then there are toppings. Most steak houses and homes offer more veg toppings than just a tiny bit of lettuce.

if I go to a steakhouse and pay $10-$20 for a hamburger brought to me by a waiter, I'd better be getting something different than a $1.99 Big Mac handed to me through a drive-up window.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Depending on what food he chose at the supermarket, yes. It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I don't think he consumed that many calories.

Three supersized meals a day from a fast food joint and you don't think he consumed "that many calories"???

8000? No. Plus, they weren't all supersized. He only supersized when asked and it was < 25% of the time, maybe less than 10%. And he made a point to eat every item on the menu, so sometimes was eating the salads and other things that have a supersized option.

8000 was a sarcastic over exaggeration. He averaged over 5000 calories per day though.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    A cheeseburger from a fast food restaurant has the same macros and micros as a cheeseburger from virtually anywhere else.

Even within one place the nutrient content would vary by burger. A Big Mac and a Happy Meal hamburger won't have the same macro or micro breakdown.

Compare a regular McD hambuger to a steakhouse 1/3 lb burger on an onion bun to a 97% lean homemade burger on a whole wheat bun and they will all be different.
    OMG.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY???

Obviously the size makes a difference. You really need to find something more productive to do with your time.

The fat content, and whole grain vs. white makes a difference too. And then there are toppings. Most steak houses and homes offer more veg toppings than just a tiny bit of lettuce.
    *sigh*

I hope you don't actually take yourself seriously.

I'm completely serious.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

He averaged 5,000.

Do you believe that he'd have seen the same results if he'd eaten 5000 calories of supermarket food, no matter what food choices he'd made at the market?

Certainly
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    if I go to a steakhouse and pay $10-$20 for a hamburger brought to me by a waiter, I'd better be getting something different than a $1.99 Big Mac handed to me through a drive-up window.

Right. But when you boil it down, beef is beef and bread is bread. Seasonins, sides, quality of beef are variable. You're still getting protein and the rest, though, pretty much proportonally.

I didn't think anyone was not smart enough to realize that was what I was saying in my first post, but apparently one person wasn't.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

He averaged 5,000.

Yes.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat it. Just not every day. I also don't get the meal. NEVER GET THE MEAL.

I get my grilled onion cheddar and go. I don't fret, I forgive myself, and I get on with life.
  • bcattoes
    Options

He averaged 5,000.

Yes.

Are you talking just weight, or all of the other negative health affects? I would expect weight gain to be the same, but I'm not convinced the other stuff would have been as bad had he been including evoo, avocado, vegetables, whole grains and fruits.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Are you talking just weight, or all of the other negative health affects? I would expect weight gain to be the same, but I'm not convinced the other stuff would have been as bad had he been including evoo, avocado, vegetables, whole grains and fruits.

My mother eats those things. She eats too much. She has always been overweight. She has never been a fast food eater, doesn't have a sweet tooth or eat really much "junk" food at all. And she has terribly high cholesterol, BP, all of it. Because she's very overweight.
  • jonnythan
    Options

He averaged 5,000.

Yes.

Of course you're not convinced, because such a reality would completely destroy the fictional nutritional universe you've created for yourself out of fantasy and thin air.
  • bcattoes
    Options

My mother eats those things. She eats too much. She has always been overweight. She has never been a fast food eater, doesn't have a sweet tooth or eat really much "junk" food at all. And she has terribly high cholesterol, BP, all of it. Because she's very overweight.

n of 1. Plus, also a really different scenario. Long term obesity vs. a thin person suddenly increasing calories with micronutrient and fiber lacking food.
  • rml_16
    Options

n of 1. Plus, also a really different scenario. Long term obesity vs. a thin person suddenly increasing calories with micronutrient and fiber lacking food.
    Um ... How many people were part of Supersize Me?

I believe, um, ONE.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Of course you're not convinced, because such a reality would completely destroy the fictional nutritional universe you've created for yourself out of fantasy and thin air.

Oh. We've reached the insults only stage. Pity.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Um ... How many people were part of Supersize Me?

I believe, um, ONE.

Good point. Still very different scenario.
  • rml_16
    Options

Your excessive obtusion invites insults.
  • jonnythan
    Options

There's no insult. It's an observation that your opinions on nutrition are based on.... well, nothing, really.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thread roll countdown commencing...

movie-countdown-o.gif
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Thread roll countdown commencing...

movie-countdown-o.gif

In for the roll :)
  • cmcollins001