Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I posted this hypothetical question in another thread and none of the "clean eaters" seemed to want to take it on. I'll repost it here:

Three people are placed on an island. One gets only unlimited broccoli and carrots. One gets only unlimited beans and peas. One gets only unlimited Big Macs. All three get unlimited water. Who lives the longest?

Will it be one of the two on those delicious, oh so nutritious, healthy, good for you, all-natural diets, or the one eating that horrible, toxic, disgusting, "nutritionally empty" non-food substance?

(Remember - we're not talking opinions, woo and fearmongering here. We're talking nutritional facts.)

You would need to know a lot more information about the people before being able to answer that. Are they all the same size, weight, height? All male or female (they need different nutrition) any underlying medical problems. Then we'd need to know how they behave on the island.

I'm guessing you're asking this question hoping the "clean eaters" would all say the one eating Big Macs would die first, rather than us realising we're all different so couldn't possibly answer your question and it would probably not be what they're eating that would kill them.

Those questions are only relevant if we're going to compare their weight gain/loss, body composition, athletic performance, etc. - and yes, they got brought up in the other thread too, in an attempt to muddy up the issue and avoid answering the question. But for the sake of argument, let's assume they have identical living conditions, no pre-existing medical conditions and no allergies/intolerances to the diets they're given.

We're only talking about which one is going to survive the longest based upon their diet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JanetBiard wrote: »
    I did not say anyone has advocated a diet of cake and cookies. What I am saying is that is the logical ridiculous end point of the claims that there are no bad carbs. If there were no bad carbs then the cake and cookie diet would be fine but as you say it is clearly ridiculous.
    And of course I agree that there is nothing wrong with a treat now and then. But advocating a just eat what you want as long as you stay in your calories is not going to help people stay on track.

I have deliberately made a ridiculous suggestion about just eating cakes and cookies to highlight why “there are no bad carbs “ is a ridiculous position to take and unhelpful to the people who ask about this.

Making suggestions to reduce refined highly processed carbs would be helpful to people. But time after time I see people who ask about carbs getting the answer “there are no bad carbs” and anyone who suggests otherwise gets a load of woos added as a response. It is not supportive of the people who are asking for help or the people who are trying to make helpful suggestions.

well I have eaten what I wanted of course in moderation and I have stayed on track for the most part. im almost 5 years into my journey and have taken diet breaks often. I however couldnt stay on track when I had to cut out the so called bad carbs and tried to eat nothing but "good carbs" There are days that I overdo the "bad" carbs but I get right back on track the next day. so for me there are no good and bad carbs. just carbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JanetBiard wrote: »
    Thank you to those of you who have made thoughtful contributions above, I appreciate this.

I don’t have any particular “brand of woo”, I wanted to understand why any suggestion that there might be bad carbs, that it might be helpful to stop eating, gets such a negative response on this community. It seems strange to me, as the calorie dense, nutritionally poor, highly processed foods we are surrounded with seems to me to be a contributory factor in weight gain.

Oh well, I will stick to my journey and you will stick to yours.

my weight gain came from overeating too many fruits and veggies. I can put away a lot of fruit in a day if calories werent an issue. that was the time I cut out what you may call bad carbs.I also put on weight because I was less active as well.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I met a bad carb once. He was going to take my lunch money, so I pounded him! On a serious note, i think carbs get a bad rap. They are easy to over eat on when combined with liberal amounts of fat. Though, try eating 1000 calories worth of boiled sweet potato or quinoa. It's really hard. 1000 calories of fat and carbs like m&m' s deliciously easy.