Are there really no bad carbs?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    JanetBiard wrote: »
    . It seems strange to me, as the calorie dense, nutritionally poor, highly processed foods we are surrounded with seems to me to be a contributory factor in weight gain.

Eating or drinking too many calories from any source is the contributory factor in weight gain.
    A lot of people don't know how many calories they need nor do they know how many they are consuming. It only takes a couple hundred calories over your maintenance level daily to gain weight or a big blow out once or twice a week.
    It is easy to overeat when all the foods you choose are low protein, low fat, low fiber, low nutrient foods because you probably will not be satisfied.
    Processing does not mean a food does not have nutrients.
    If you are eating frozen meals, fast food burgers, homemade turkey chili you might be meeting your goals very well and be satisfied. You might spend 300 calories on a dessert every day and it is fine
    If your calorie goal is 1,200 it is a good idea to plan what you are going to eat more carefully than someone who has 2,000 calories.
  • 3reglamc
    3reglamc Posts: 36 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I know that I am going to be shot down in flames for saying this but I have become increasingly fed up by the people posting on MFP that there are no such things as bad carbs. This is really poor advice. The theory that as long as you maintain a calorie deficit you will lose weight may be true but it is appalling advice. On this basis you are suggesting that a diet of only cake and cookies is as valid as one full of vegetables, and as likely to lead to weight loss. That is simply wrong. On the cake diet I would feel dreadful, and I am setting myself up for failure as I am unlikely to feel satisfied with the portions of cake I can eat to stay in deficit.
    Learning how to eat a nutritionally sound diet which is satisfying, energising and likely to stop me getting diabetes is part of the journey that people need to be on if they want to lose weight permanently. You can all call this woo and tell me the problem with cake is not the carbs it is the fat but really? Eating highly processed carbs with no fibre, lots of added sugars and god knows what chemicals are simply not a help if you
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    Eating highly processed carbs with no fibre, lots of added sugars and god knows what chemicals are simply not a help if you are trying to lose weight.
    You just need better cake :wink:

I can’t think of a chemical I’ve ever put in a came either.
  • amyepdx
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    jayemes wrote: »
    Eating highly processed carbs with no fibre, lots of added sugars and god knows what chemicals are simply not a help if you are trying to lose weight.
    You just need better cake :wink:

I can’t think of a chemical I’ve ever put in a came either.

You always make cake without baking powder?!?!! Nothing but highly-processed chemikillz in that stuff!

;););)

Lol - Salt’s a chemical too, right?

• amyepdx
    Options
    And of course I agree that there is nothing wrong with a treat now and then. But advocating a just eat what you want as long as you stay in your calories is not going to help people stay on track.

Au contrair. That is EXACTLY what helps me stay on track!! :)

+1