Myth or not a myth?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    goron59 wrote: »
    Is someone legit wooing every post out of spite or is it another doesnt know woo is bad thing...
    Predominantly a USAian forum, so I understand "woo" to most is a bad thing, but in much of the rest of the English speaking world, it could be considered a positive thing. MFP were told this way back when they introduced it, but chose to ignore it, and people's feelings.

"Woo" (as in "woo hoo!") can be considered a positive thing in the US as well.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My body holds on to weight if I go that low, I find 1600-2000 is best to start. I definitely wouldn't go lower than 1500 if youre over 150 lb, but that's just me.

A physical impossibility, I'm afraid. If this were true, there would be no such thing as anorexics literally starving themselves to death. Your body is incapable of holding onto weight in a calorie deficit. The greater the deficit, the greater (and faster) the weight loss.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My body holds on to weight if I go that low, I find 1600-2000 is best to start. I definitely wouldn't go lower than 1500 if youre over 150 lb, but that's just me.

So without the context of height, weight, age, activity level, health, you're advising all women who are over 150 lbs to not go lower than 1500 calories, even after supposedly reading this thread containing many links to actual science.

<bangs face on desk>

edit: As an older, smaller sedentary woman my maintenance calories are 1500 - so you would basically be advising me to not bother to try to lose weight when I was 155 lbs.
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Even though I stayed under my calorie goal my weight would barely budge or go down. Once I started counting my carbs and ignoring calories, i was eating more than I was before and higher calories, but my weight finally started to drop.

This thread is old, but there's a lot of activity and thought it best I clear up my original post as to not construe newcomers. I can see how it's a bit misleading.

Before watching my carbs I tried to keep my calories around 1200 a day and weight just wouldn't budge.
    Back in October/November I found out I'd need a hip replacement and wanted to drop a few pounds before the big day (225lbs). My primary doctor, who is also a nutritionist, told me to keep my carbs under 50g a day and don't worry so much about the calories. Now...I did track my calories while counting my carbs. Instead of 1200 a day I was consuming anywhere from 1800-2000. By February I went down to 205lbs for the surgery. I've kept watching my carb intake and am now down to 183lbs.

That said, I'm not a self-proclaimed nutritional expert, biologist, etc. I understand based on simple CICO theory I should've been dropping weight with a 1200 calorie limit, but I wasn't. And yes, i weighed everything religiously. Maybe 1200 was too low for my size and body went into survival mode, I have no idea. Point is, everyone's body is different and watching carbs is what worked for me. Problem with MFP is people are starting to preach what worked for them as nature's law that will work for everyone.

Relating back to the OP, I still have pizza every once in a while, but walk away with just two slices on my plate. As long as your food(s) fit within your macros & calorie budget, you should be fine.